It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The real meaning of "Love your enemy".

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
(If I say something that is right, then God has inspired me. If I say something that is wrong, then it is my own mistake.)

I had a thought the other day, which I'd like to share on ATS.

Jesus, being the Messiah and the word of God was unlike any other prophet because of his unique teachings. Jesus is known the world over for his message of "love the enemy" and pray for those who persecute you" and turn the other cheek".

Unfortunately, these teachings have no place in today's competitive world. It would be impractical for one to love their enemy and turn the other cheek. Could it be that those teachings have become outdated? If not, what was the real purpose of those teachings?

The real purpose of Jesus' teachings was not merely so his followers could be seen as "nice" people. It was not so his followers could distinguish themselves and acquire some sort of an elite status in this world. And it was definitely not to turn his followers into 'push-overs'.

My thoughts on the real reason why Jesus told his followers to "love the enemy" and "forgive their persecutors" was so they could gain rewards and blessings in heaven... AFTER life ends here on earth. Which is why he said that there is no reward in merely loving those who love you back.

Remember, Jesus' repeatedly taught not to be attached to THIS world, but instead to stay focused on the NEXT world.

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

To literally love an enemy is difficult. To literally pray for your persecutors is nearly impossible. But when done sincerely, it brings with it great blessings that add to ones treasures in heaven.

Do you work for treasures here on this mortal world... treasures that can be diminished or go bad? Or do you work for treasures in the afterlife that will always remain and be yours?

edit on 23-12-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Luke 19:27
"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me."

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
We should all start praying for each other if thats the case. If Judgement day was to come tommorow, 80% of the population would be sent to hell for numerous reasons.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
Unfortunately, these teachings have no place in today's competitive world. It would be impractical for one to love their enemy and turn the other cheek. [...]

...My thoughts on the real reason why Jesus told his followers to "love the enemy" and "forgive their persecutors" was so they could gain rewards and blessings in heaven... AFTER life ends here on earth. Which is why he said that there is no reward in merely loving those who love you back.

Remember, Jesus' repeatedly taught not to be attached to THIS world, but instead to stay focused on the NEXT world.

So what you are saying is that God created this fantastic world so that you, if you happen to live in misery (being pushed down, having a lot of enemies), you should just accept everything, turn the other cheek and be in pain your whole life, to be rewarded AFTER this world?
Then what is the point of this world? Just to show God's power, and God using it by torturing poor people and see if they'll stay nice.

Is your God a self-loving cruel idiot?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Nevertheless

So what you are saying is that God created this fantastic world so that you, if you happen to live in misery (being pushed down, having a lot of enemies), you should just accept everything, turn the other cheek and be in pain your whole life, to be rewarded AFTER this world?
Then what is the point of this world? Just to show God's power, and God using it by torturing poor people and see if they'll stay nice.

Is your God a self-loving cruel idiot?

The idiots of the world believe that the material life is all there is to existence.
They are the ones who reject God and would rather chase after treasures in this material world... designer cars to drive around, posh mansions to live in, beautiful women to sleep with, fancy gadgets to fiddle around with, etc. They have found or created their own heaven on this world.

Then there are those who believe this material world is temporary and therefore make provisions for the afterlife.

As for the "point of this world", those are your ideas and assessments. Not mine.
God doesn't torture the poor. The poor are tortured by the ways of the world... apathy, selfishness, godless economic systems designed to favor the rich... to name a few.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snaffers
Luke 19:27
"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me."

Your quote is out of context and part of a parable (an allegorical tale, usually with a moral lesson) about the actions of an unpopular, sociopath king. Jesus was not advocating that anyone should kill people.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

The idiots of the world believe that the material life is all there is to existence.

What is idiotic about being aware of what is real and what is not?

They are the ones who reject God and would rather chase after treasures in this material world... designer cars to drive around, posh mansions to live in, beautiful women to sleep with, fancy gadgets to fiddle around with, etc. They have found or created their own heaven on this world.

Of course there are people who reject God, but there are also the agnostics who do not care about a concept that is pure speculation.
And when it comes to living, clearly there needs to be some sort of drive in life to make it worthwhile.
For some it's very materialistic, for some it's less materialistic, for some it's sex, for some it's family life. You seem to be very fixated on one of them.

As for the "point of this world", those are your ideas and assessments. Not mine.
God doesn't torture the poor. The poor are tortured by the ways of the world... apathy, selfishness, godless economic systems designed to favor the rich... to name a few.

You are the one who said that the common interpretation is not for this modern world "love your enemy", because it can be very counter productive, but if interpreted your way, it is an investment for the after-life.

The pure consequence of this is what I said in my earlier post. If people push you down and you accept it, your life will be a pain and you will be rewarded for it.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Unfortunately, these teachings have no place in today's competitive world. It would be impractical for one to love their enemy and turn the other cheek. Could it be that those teachings have become outdated? If not, what was the real purpose of those teachings?

On the contrary, my good friend. Loving our enemy is the greatest form of revenge.

Also, if one's enemies are great, then he too must be great enough to afford such enemies.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

edit on 23-12-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

Where does it say that you should focus on the NEXT world??
I agree that you should not be attached to the 'things' of the world, but i don't see where Jesus says the 'next world'. This world is made of what is seen (the appearance) and what is not seen (the seer of the appearance).
Jesus meant that you should look toward what is seeing - that is where heaven is.

Also, Jesus came to share the good news - life is eternal. So if you are hoping to go to heaven when you physically die, you maybe in for a rude awakening.
edit on 23-12-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
It's tough but sometimes you just have to let things go.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

If you hate your enemy - it is you that is full of hate.
If you are full of hate - how can you feel the love? To be full of love is to be in heaven.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Where does it say that you should focus on the NEXT world??

It doesn't say "Next world", but Jesus points towards an afterlife when he says "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven".

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Jesus said life is eternal. So what is this 'after life' you speak of?
Heaven can only found in life.
Maybe you believe that 'eternal life' happens after death?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

(If I say something that is right, then God has inspired me. If I say something that is wrong, then it is my own mistake.)

In the above statement, change 'God' to husband and it sounds just like what a battered wife would say.

Jesus told his followers to "love the enemy" and "forgive their persecutors" was so they could gain rewards and blessings in heaven...

Does this mean we really are a computer simulation? In this video game I guess the goal is to go around collecting bonus points for rewards and blessings on the next level.

That's right. Children shouldn't learn anything in the first grade because they should stay focused on the second grade. And children in the second grade should focus only on the third grade.

Married people should focus only on their next marriage. Employees should focus only on their bosses' job.

I guess the point is to never live in the NOW, which is the attitude of someone that can't make it in this world. I think they're called quitters or failures or unsuccessful. This must be one of thee most foolish statements of Jesus.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
This must be one of thee most foolish statements of Jesus.

Jesus did not state anything about the 'next world'. The op assumes heaven and hell are at the end of life.
No one has found the start, yet they assume an end.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Children shouldn't learn anything in the first grade because they should stay focused on the second grade.

What children learn in the first grade ensures they go to the second grade.

I guess the point is to never live in the NOW

My point is... live in the NOW all you want. Just don't assume the NOW is going to exist forever.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   

The op assumes heaven and hell are at the end of life.

Actually, people enjoy their own versions of heaven and hell in this life.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   

The op assumes heaven and hell are at the end of life.

Actually, people enjoy their own versions of heaven and hell in this life.

Exactly. Life is eternal. So what is the 'afterlife' you speak of?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

I guess the point is to never live in the NOW

My point is... live in the NOW all you want. Just don't assume the NOW is going to exist forever.

Why not assume that now is forever? Have you ever known anything but now.
Now is the presence of the lord.
Time is a idea arising presently.
All arises presently, nothing can arise any other 'time'.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

My thoughts on the real reason why Jesus told his followers to "love the enemy" and "forgive their persecutors" was so they could gain rewards and blessings in heaven... AFTER life ends here on earth. Which is why he said that there is no reward in merely loving those who love you back.

To literally love an enemy is difficult. To literally pray for your persecutors is nearly impossible. But when done sincerely, it brings with it great blessings that add to ones treasures in heaven.

Do you work for treasures here on this mortal world... treasures that can be diminished or go bad? Or do you work for treasures in the afterlife that will always remain and be yours?

Jesus told his followers to love their enemies because while his followers were evil, and therefore enemies of the state, so to speak, he taught them what they needed to know, the healthy do not need a physician. And they, through Jesus' teaching became healthy, they became his friends, they sensed a need, they hungered for something spectacular IN THIS LIFE and they got it, Jesus did have to remind them that it was his teaching that they needed and not just to be a mere witness to miracles to talk about amongst eachothers.
I believe that God intended us to have an ABUNDANT life.
An abundant life to me, as it is to most people, is measured in hope and possibility and optimism. People rely on money, in their eyes, it makes things possible, but money can only get you so much, it can't buy you love.
When you have God, who is love, all things are possible, and when I say all, that does not exclude poverty, persecution, judgement and punishment.
I was just thinking the other day about the prodigal son. He wanted to be a servant, he would have been happy to be a servant, he DIDN'T expect the sort of welcome back party he got, he didn't expect his father to be so happy to see him, and yet he went to him anyway because he had hope that his father would have some compassion on him. Likewise the rich man and Lazarus, Lazarus had hope for compassion so he sat outside the rich man's gate because he knew that for some reason or another, he by hisveryownself could not sustain his own hope.
Also the guy who Jesus talked about who beat his chest and asked for mercy while the other guy was thanking God for not being like "that sinner". Well people can thank their lucky stars all they want that they arent' as bad off as some others but God's approval is all that is needed in order to be blessed.
I gave the person with the dancing silly guys in the woods a star for sharing that bit of VERY TRUE scripture. Everything Jesus said is true and none of it is supposed to be suppressed repressed or oppressed, although you're right, for MANY people it is.
Jesus said that there is no reward for loving those who love themselves because even SINNERS do that. The thing is, all the preaching about "WE're all sinners, you better not boast, you're a boaster if you think Jesus saved you from sin, our sign is that Jesus died and spend three days and nights in the heart of the earth and was raised from the dead", that sort of baloney isn't necessary to spread because it's untrue. Jesus came to set people free from their sins, he didn't come so people could sin and say that they are free, because everyone who sins is a servant to sin and a servant to sin is not a part of the family but a son belongs to it forever. Servanthood is an interesting thing, no matter who we are we are servants, the difference is in whom the master is. Gather or scatter abroad.
Anyone whose ever lived in poverty knows that it's possible to be happy, people who are afraid of poverty are afraid for lack of respect of lost friendships, because the fairweather friends want fair weather. That is why Facebook exists. In this world, it's the rich who dictate the norms and their trusting servants hold eachother to those rules. People with more money are usually treated better because they have more money, as I said earlier, money means possibilities for happiness in their eyes, what they really need to know that love makes all things possible, and wisdom is more precious than rubies
The community mindset is unhealthy, it's an "If I go down, you go down with me." type of world out there. He will do what he wants with what is his, he is not a communist he makes a distinction in whom he considers his brother sister and mother and whom he does not know. Beatitudes are there.
Literally loving an enemy is indeed difficult, but is it less difficult to withhold forgiveness? Anyone can answer that

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join