It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something I've Never Spoken Of Before.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
There are a lot of stories about outposts in Afghanistan that hard core Marines swear are haunted to all hell. These aren't guys who think about ghosts as being scary, since it's live people that are the dangerous kind of people in their line of work. And yet, they have been telling these accounts since shortly after we set up shop in that country.

You will find more possibilities of lingering spirits in regions where the culture allows for the dead to remain, or where tragedy is a case-closed reason for a passed person to remain attached to the place of his or her death. It's due to the belief system of the person who has passed, and due to how certain that person is to the requirements associated with that belief system.

No one really "goes" anywhere after they have finished with the corporeal body. In that realm, there is no "there" there. No distance or physical proximity to separate one "here" from another "here". There is only the contextual association that one has with what one fully believes to be their identity representation, either in the eternal realm or the finite material realm (which ultimately depends on the cultural beliefs that the person grew up with).

In the UK, the culture is a schism between the stranded, lingering haunt and the soul ushered off to either Heaven or Hell, with a fairly strict criteria set as the determining protocol for the passed individual. In the US, it generally comes down to horrific tragedy or clear and compelling injustice, with the lingering dead only lingering long enough to settle the unfinished business before ultimately passing on into the eternal realm. No one is ever stranded for no reason in America. Then again, the American culture wouldn't stand for that sort of nonsense, would it.

You'd have to do some research into the specific regional cultures to see what is allowed, required, and expected of those who have passed into forever, if you wanted to really get to the bottom of whether these locations are actually haunted by "intelligent paranormal manifestations" or not. If these hauntings are "residual" in nature, and not sentient, then of course it doesn't matter what the culture demands of its people in this regard.

Dismissing these unique accounts out-of-hand doesn't accomplish anything, and neither does swallowing all of it whole. It'd be a pretty interesting research effort for someone who wants to carve their own fascinating niche into what's become a very thriving - and very crowded - field of study.

edit on 12/23/2012 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311[...]
Anyway, it had a metal circular staircase that you had to climb to get to the top to the lookout room. It had one room for storage behind t6he room you stood watch in. It was the creepiest place I have ever been in My life. When standing guard in this place strange things would happen.

You would here footsteps coming up the ladderwell and when you would look and shine a light nobody would be there. You would also hear whispering voices in Arabic coming from the back room of the tower. It was so strange that it changed my thinking on the paranormal.

I think these are genuine ghosts you're experiencing. But the big question is, what is a ghost? I heard this guy on Coast to Coast recently (Either Lee Speigel or John Hogue, I think) who opined that ghosts are mostly impressions made in the ether. He proposed that; Since all things exist simultaneously, it is possible to impress upon a collection of matter such as a house, or a garden, or a bare piece of land, even, a certain amount of psychic energy. This energy is released in greater amounts during times of trauma, so it seems to support the fact that most 'ghosts' whose identity is fairly well-established are reported to be victims or witnesses of great traumas.

Then you have the poltergeists, the seemingly-sentient and interactive disembodied voices (such as has been recorded with EMV recording, or "ghost box" type devices), and aggressive, demonic presences (such as "Man" on the TV show "A Haunting"). I don't know what they are, but I'm guessing they're more real-in-this-moment than the ghostly soldiers on the battlefield at Gettysburg or in your watch-tower.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I have a photograph of my grandmother's ghost, if you can call it that. It is a photographic anomaly that appeared as I was thinking about my grandmother. It was the second of two pictures I took in succession, and the thought I had about my grandmother I had between taking the two pictures. It is a picture of my nephew and I wondered if my grandmother was able to see her great-grandchildren. The "fog" in the second picture was her answer to me. I have zero doubt, so if you want to contest me, you're wasting your time.

She has communicated with me on two other occasions as well.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

She has communicated with me on two other occasions as well.

Brave post, minus the "don't argue with me" part. Troll baiting nearly..

I have had this too.. I won't ever post about it.. It was a secret, and they were "not supposed to be here" what ever here meant.. It was in a dream, but it was in a hidden part of my dream, that no dream characters could find.
I knew it was him, and yet I still have not listened to the wisdom.. I guess I like learning for myself? I really missed them bad.. More than any human ever.. This person taught me how to count past 20, when I was like 3 and a 1/2.. All the sudden my number thoughts were freed onto and above 100, 200, 300, 1,000... 2,000... a million...

I think I was that old, but I know it was before kindergarten.

He always liked teaching the kids.. I missed him so much.. He came when I least expected, and he gave me new knowledge that really helped me out, plus I was glad he hadn't completely left yet. He was an amazing man, and he is a Great Spirit. I Love him.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin
All the bases covered there; A... simple words used, B.. obvious inference of personal superiority, C.. science knows everything there is to know style attitude.

Welcome to the Clan of Sheldon, you will fit in very nicely there.

Instead of off-topic, it would have been a lot more constructive if you talked about the content of my message and why you have a problem with. You chose to talk about me instead. Why?
Didn't I bring up quite reasonable explanations to what actually happened?

Also, if one is familiar with science, it should be clear that science does NOT know everything. That's the reason why science exists. So that people just don't make things up to explain "the unknown" as man did throughout history, and seen often on this site.
edit on 24-12-2012 by Nevertheless because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Well, there are many on this site who would tell you "You did not experience that because I personally don't believe it, you must have imagined it". Quite brave of THEM to make such assertions. I was merely trying to prevent that sort of thing.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nevertheless
It's:

1. In your head.
2. A lie.
3. A prank.

Originally posted by Tayesin
All the bases covered there; A... simple words used, B.. obvious inference of personal superiority, C.. science knows everything there is to know style attitude.

Welcome to the Clan of Sheldon, you will fit in very nicely there.

Originally posted by NeverthelessInstead of off-topic, it would have been a lot more constructive if you talked about the content of my message and why you have a problem with. You chose to talk about me instead. Why? Didn't I bring up quite reasonable explanations to what actually happened?

Also, if one is familiar with science, it should be clear that science does NOT know everything. That's the reason why science exists. So that people just don't make things up to explain "the unknown" as man did throughout history, and seen often on this site.

There really is no further point to discussing the content of your message. You have your opinions, based on scientific enquiry I gather, and such discussions have been done to death here and elsewhere. So there really is no need, except the one You are Feeling.

I did talk about your post and the obviousness of the person writing it, sorry if that irked you. But I intended to point out the typically insensitive manner you responded to the OP with.

No, you brought up the standard explanations to what actually happened. Nothing new to see, no point in discussing it here.

Yes, you are correct that science does not know everything. Some of our member scientists and one or two of the Sheldon's will admit to that too. But none will extend that understanding to what they as yet do not understand, depite their belief that they do. They say, "We know" instead of "We currently think we know" or "We don't really know yet."

Yes, historically man made up a lot of stuff to explain phenomena, along with our inherent knowing, and science has been a brilliant tool to enlighten us so far.. while still in its infancy.

The questions of whether an energetic awareness survives death, and the processes science is not yet able to observe are on the table for discussion.... not trampled upon by insensitives with an agenda.

Who are you to say who makes up stuff on this website ? It's a sweeping statement based on some perceived superiority you hold dear... that does not make you right.. it only makes you more Sheldon-like.

Sorry to speak so plainly and I hope no real offence is taken.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by kudegras
You might use your last sentence, ans simply say that some people are more sensitive than others.
Some have already sensed the change that we are witnessing - the end of the modern era, and the commencement of the era of love. But some still reside in the old modern era of fear.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
reply to post by Dustytoad

Well, there are many on this site who would tell you "You did not experience that because I personally don't believe it, you must have imagined it". Quite brave of THEM to make such assertions. I was merely trying to prevent that sort of thing.

I was only giving you respect.. I have had similar experiences. I am wondering why you did not compare our experiences?

It is Not Brave to go along to get along.. Those who are adamant against these things have lost their wondering spirit. Science has left the building for them.. Science is ask, think, try, oh?, try again, think again, try again... They don't want to do the work.. They are not aligned with science.

@above post.. YES. LOVE it..
edit on 12/24/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I am a medium who has communicated with spirits since I was a teen ... yes there are spirits all around us constantly .. it is not one haunted location .. for some reason some places have more activity but spirits are a constant in our lives & influence our every decision so watch your thoughts ... u can begin to feel what is yours & what is not

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Nice post OP...

I can sincerely relate to what you heard and felt..

We used to use a building across the road from our Precinct, and I am really glad that I don't have to go there much anymore..

We would often have to drop off or collect keys for patrol cars in the middle of the night, and that was something I used to dread..
On one occasion, after dropping off some keys, I was on the landing at the top of the stairs. The hairs on the back of my neck were like porcupine quills and if I had a spidey sense, it would have gone bats**t... I didn't stick around to find out what was in "there" and made it down 2 fights of stairs in about 2 bounds...

I have heard from colleagues who were working late that they would hear someone coming up the stairs, but they were the only ones in the building. Also heard from someone who doesn't believe in ghosts that there is some serious weird stuff that happens in that building.. He used to work late and would often see movement in the offices from under the doors and hear footsteps...

I think this is one area were science has to accept that there is more to these stories than just plain stories... I think that in the absence of any scientific proof or theory to the contrary, I have to believe that there are things that go bump int he night..

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by where2oceansmeet
Nice post OP...

I can sincerely relate to what you heard and felt..

We used to use a building across the road from our Precinct, and I am really glad that I don't have to go there much anymore..

We would often have to drop off or collect keys for patrol cars in the middle of the night, and that was something I used to dread..
On one occasion, after dropping off some keys, I was on the landing at the top of the stairs. The hairs on the back of my neck were like porcupine quills and if I had a spidey sense, it would have gone bats**t... I didn't stick around to find out what was in "there" and made it down 2 fights of stairs in about 2 bounds...

I have heard from colleagues who were working late that they would hear someone coming up the stairs, but they were the only ones in the building. Also heard from someone who doesn't believe in ghosts that there is some serious weird stuff that happens in that building.. He used to work late and would often see movement in the offices from under the doors and hear footsteps...

I think this is one area were science has to accept that there is more to these stories than just plain stories... I think that in the absence of any scientific proof or theory to the contrary, I have to believe that there are things that go bump int he night..

yet police forced me to go to the hospital when i experienced a severe real world haunting/attack and freaked out. i told them what had happened and that I wasn't mentally ill, yet they made me go, and i almost ended up in a mental instituation because the doctor was a moronic prick.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
There are a lot of stories about outposts in Afghanistan that hard core Marines swear are haunted to all hell. These aren't guys who think about ghosts as being scary, since it's live people that are the dangerous kind of people in their line of work. And yet, they have been telling these accounts since shortly after we set up shop in that country.

You obviously haven't been around many Marines.

Sure, we're trained to be efficient warriors but you're also talking about a group of primarily 18-25 year old guys that aren't much different than anyone else. The unknown scares them just as much as anyone else... you can't shoot a ghost.

Historically, troops in a combat zone get bored out of their minds and get up to all sorts of silliness. Most of the ghost stories you hear during wartime are either rumors passed on from others, the result of a prank, or both.

Before I get the reply... I actually do believe in paranormal occurances. I also know how boring a "combat zone" can be and the generally tomfoolery that goes on in one.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Answer

Just to give you some info. We didn't have much time to be bored. These occurances happened during the heaviest fighting of the Iraq war. Around the time Operation Phantom Fury was going on and some time after. I do know what you mean though. Especially about the pranks.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Yeah, I wasn't speaking about your story in particular, moreso the general belief that Marines are supposed to be hard core killers who aren't afraid of the dark... and who would NEVER engage in silly antics while they're supposed to be performing other duties.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Radiowaves picked up by the fillings in the mouths of all who stood guard up there perhaps? Good reception in the tower.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

You said the place was really creepy, so were you in a state of fear at any point before the noises? The strength of fear inclines the mind to apply reasoning to justify it. For example, the stairs creeked and settled and since you feared something unexpected your mind confidently interpreted the sound as footsteps as most rational. Silence and white noise became voices and your emotions of fear perpetuated the expectation and subsequent false interpretation of natural sounds. People with delusions behave in this manner and delusions are entirely based on fear. It is a common problem that everyone has to some degree and usually people are not in a situation to encounter it.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Nevertheless

You're completely ignorant.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Answer

Yeah, I wasn't speaking about your story in particular, moreso the general belief that Marines are supposed to be hard core killers who aren't afraid of the dark... and who would NEVER engage in silly antics while they're supposed to be performing other duties.

Right. I have seen some big tough Marines I served with scream like little girls over snakes in the swamps or camel spiders. We Marines are merely human after all.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
Radiowaves picked up by the fillings in the mouths of all who stood guard up there perhaps? Good reception in the tower.

I suppose it's possible but I do not think that was the case there.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join