It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Connecticut State law Sec. 53-202c. Possession of assault weapon prohibited.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Assault weapons were already banned in the state of Connecticut before the tragedy that happened in Sandy Hook.

If you think new laws are going to prevent this, you are wrong.

Source

There is no way to stop gun violence. If lets pretend we changed the word "drugs" to "gun", look how the war on drugs is going. Complete waste of money and a complete failure. Although guns can kill people.

I don't have a solution to the problem but banning guns is an obvious failure. Assault rifles were already banned and it happened, so let's ban guns again?

Idiocy

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
WELL, WELL, WELL, how about that one!!

But nothing will stop the GUN-HATER-BRIGADE from pushing for bans that DONT WORK. They care not about common sense or reason, just BAN, BAN, BAN. Ban everything. Ban away.

The solution to these school shootings are SO simple. ALLOW school staff to be properly trained and carry firearms for the protection of our children.

The criminals will have guns way beyond our generation and our children's generations. The guns are HERE and will be for a LONG time no matter WHAT is banned or no matter what laws are passed. Criminals arent going to LISTEN or ABIDE by the rules. Arm our schools and these shooters will NOT do this garbage anymore.

But gun-haters do not care for common sense solutions, they just want to BAN everything. Before you know it, they will want to ban HAMMERS eventually. Hammers can easily be used to kill MANY people on the streets like knives, screw-drivers, baseball bats, broken beer bottles etc, etc, etc. They'll surely be calling to ban all those things as well eventually. Ridiculous cycle of stupidity with NO real SOLUTION.

edit on 22-12-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I tried to make that argument earlier. I have never owned a gun and unless something totally drastic happens I never will. Some people love them great, some people hate them just as great. That is what it means to live in America, having choices.

What I do not , for the life of me, understand is how anyone thinks making something illegal will prevent people from doing it. Criminals break laws.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA
I tried to make that argument earlier. I have never owned a gun and unless something totally drastic happens I never will. Some people love them great, some people hate them just as great. That is what it means to live in America, having choices.

What I do not , for the life of me, understand is how anyone thinks making something illegal will prevent people from doing it. Criminals break laws.

You also bring up a different issue.

You say that you will never own a gun unless something drastic happens. I'd say that a lot of people feel this way. What if teachers who felt the same way refused to carry a gun whilst at school in the role of a teacher? Would it then become school regulation to have armed teachers?

What about the school room that gets shot up with a teacher who does not believe in guns?

Do they then assume the blame for the problem someone else creates when bringing a gun onto school property? Or are they exempt from any responsibility? Would they need to sign a declaration? Would this be possibly used against them to refuse them jobs, on the basis that they refuse to carry a weapon?

People say If those teachers were armed this wouldn't have happened. Implying that the teachers would have happily carried weapons on them as primary school teachers in charge of little children.

edit on 22-12-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

To be fair it does not define "assault weapon" there (it may in another section). Real Assault Weapons civilians can not legally own any w/o an FFL.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux
There is no way to stop gun violence. If lets pretend we changed the word "drugs" to "gun", look how the war on drugs is going. Complete waste of money and a complete failure.

Logical fallacy. Drugs are addictive, guns are not!

Idiocy

Indeed!

IRM

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Tell that to the collector.....I know people that buy guns weekly because they 'like' them....I call it addiction there is no reason to own every type of gun...

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Don't worry about a gun ban. the Mexican drug cartels will make sure there people and other criminals in the US still can get guns.
At a price of course.

With full auto AKs the criminals can do major robberies and make a lot of money to buy more guns.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Originally posted by litterbaux
There is no way to stop gun violence. If lets pretend we changed the word "drugs" to "gun", look how the war on drugs is going. Complete waste of money and a complete failure.

Logical fallacy. Drugs are addictive, guns are not!

Idiocy

Indeed!

IRM

Not all drugs that are illegal are addictive, nor does that have any relevancy to the argument. His point was that while there are many illegal drugs, them being illegal has not done anything to limit their proliferation.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Don't worry about a gun ban. the Mexican drug cartels will make sure there people and other criminals in the US still can get guns.
At a price of course.

With full auto AKs the criminals can do major robberies and make a lot of money to buy more guns.

With all of the guns that our current administration has given to them, I sure hope that there is never any assault weapon bans in America!! Because I dont know HOW Americans at our southern border would defend themselves against the heavily armed Mexicans who will be coming in here full force when they see us disarmed...

They just ARMED Mexico, and now are looking to DISARM Americans.

edit on 28-12-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
If they are still available in joining states there is nothing stopping people acquiring them from there, it's not like there is border patrols between states.

Ban them throughout the whole country and you might find it will make a difference, assuming the authorities can round up all the ones that are in circulation.

Even if some do remain in circulation the owners are less likely to part with them.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
If they are still available in joining states there is nothing stopping people acquiring them from there, it's not like there is border patrols between states.

Ban them throughout the whole country and you might find it will make a difference, assuming the authorities can round up all the ones that are in circulation.

Even if some do remain in circulation the owners are less likely to part with them.

Yea, have fun with that DREAM.

What a FANTASY LAND you live in. Oh, you are from the UK. That explains it all...

The land of delusional brainwashed people who wish to "BAN EVERYTHING!!!!" Ban, ban, ban, ban, while doing NOTHING to resolve the issues.

You all need to BAN ALCOHOL over there. Ban that, and THEN we can TALK about banning anything else. But you wont touch that regardless of all the DEATHS it cause, because alcohol is all that you have LEFT to LIVE FOR in the UK I hear...

UK FAILED LOGIC.

edit on 28-12-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by oper8zhin

And gun crime in the UK is only a fraction of the USA because people can't just freely drive to the next county and purchase weapons, getting them into the country is near impossible, and people are too afraid to take the risk of facing hefty jail sentences for getting caught with them.

After reading many views on gun control these last couple of weeks, I have changed my tune on American gun laws. However, I still believe banning AR is a sensible thing to do, there is absolutely no need for them.

EDIT: edited as it seems you edited yours.

Firearms aren't banned in the UK, there is just tighter control on who can have them and what type they can have.

I could apply for a firearms permit right now, and there is nothing legally stopping me. I can choose from a wide range of shotguns and rifles.

The misconception that everything gets banned in the UK is a tiresome one and simply not true.
edit on 28/12/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by oper8zhin

And gun crime in the UK is only a fraction of the USA because people can't just freely drive to the next county and purchase weapons, getting them into the country is near impossible, and people are too afraid to take the risk of facing hefty jail sentences for getting caught with them.

After reading many views on gun control these last couple of weeks, I have changed my tune on American gun laws. However, I still believe banning AR is a sensible thing to do, there is absolutely no need for them.

EDIT: edited as it seems you edited yours.

Firearms aren't banned in the UK, there is just tighter control on who can have them and what type they can have.

I could apply for a firearms permit right now, and there is nothing legally stopping me. I can choose from a wide range of shotguns and rifles.

The misconception that everything gets banned in the UK is a tiresome one and simply not true.
edit on 28/12/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

Correct me if I'm wrong about the US viewpoint, but I believe they would be concerned more about the registration aspects of firearms ownership in the UK and Commonwealth countries. After all, a tightly legislated firearms ownership environment always includes registration of individual firearms as an adjunct to a weapons licensing scheme - that becomes by default an up-to-date list of gun owners and the weapons they possess.

Gun registration is implemented for two main reasons:

1. So that security forces can see how many weapons a given citizen has - at a glance.

2. So that security forces know when to stop looking in the event that they are ordered to remove weapons from the possession of any given citizen.

LICENSING of the gun owner provides for character and background checks and although it's not all that nice to have the government of the day ALLOW you to own a firearm that you bought with your own hard-earned money, it's a hell of a lot more palatable than registration of individual weapons. Disarmyoutards support weapon registration because they can take them away from you if they so wish.

UK gun owners are tolerated by the UK powers that be, but there are safeguards built into the system which provide for the guns in the community to be taken away at any time. Compare that to the US culture of gun ownership not only being a right, but a serious piece of Americana built right into their constitution.

THAT my friend is why the Americans consider all these other countries' firearms laws to be draconian - and from that perspective the laws are.

Of course no one in the UK talks about the wide proliferation of illegal weapons throughout the criminal community. Most news on the topic is suppressed and for statistics you need to delve deeply into the bowels of the police or home office websites. The UK government are the masters of perception-management.

Then again, it's not all the government's fault - most Londoners will tell you that CCTV is non-invasive and is an effective deterrent to crime. Most have swallowed the kool-aid and asked for seconds. If it wasn't for a large portion of the community conforming there wouldn't be any bad governments. Not singling out the UK for that one - just using it to illustrate a point.

new topics

top topics

join