It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Study Shows IQ to be a Myth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I get:
1) 5
2) hunger

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romanian

A decent test should take into consideration all the aspects of intelligence. A specialized brain can be confused with an intelligent one.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
The OP ties in with what I have been saying for years, also.

Many who are considered "intelligent" by today's standards, merely possess an informational spike on the intellectual spectrum. But I define true intelligence, as those who are genuine problem solvers, and not simply byproducts of traditional academia.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

merely possess an informational spike on the intellectual spectrum.

This phrase doesn't actually mean anything.

But I define true intelligence

No... YOU don't DEFINE intelligence, because it has already BEEN defined, which is exactly what this thread is about, attempting to REDEFINE intelligence in such a way as to portray stupid people as intelligence, and intelligent people as stupid.

Go ahead, look at the thread... how much bashing of intelligence and intelligent people is here?

I counted at least a few examples where people wished DEATH on intelligent people.

You "Intelligence isn't real" people are so brainwashed, it's pathetic.

I'd try to explain it to you, but I doubt you have the Body Kinesthetic Emotions to understand it.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Hey, guys.... I have $1000 emotional dollars to give anyone who can prove the theory of multiple intelligences true.

Now, you may be a bit hesitant to accept a challenge where you are awarded in EMOTIONAL dollars, but I assure you, these are just DIFFERENT FORMS of currency, and they are JUST AS GOOD as your normal forms of currency.

There are FAR too many factors that account for Value than a simple Dollar amount can ever truly incorporate, and thus, my Emotional Dollars are JUST AS VALUABLE as the paper ones in your pocket.

Don't be a Racist Elitist... accept my emotional dollars for value.
edit on 22-12-2012 by ErtaiNaGia because: dance monkeys, dance.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Sure... maybe my Emotional Dollars don't actually represent anything like.... Effort, Labor, Specialized Training, Resources, Finished products, Agricultural harvests, etcetera, etcetera....

But my EMOTIONS are real things, and thus, are just as important as your whole "Labor and resource based currency"

Therefore, my Emotional Currency is just as valuable as your Resource and labor based currency.

So..... how many Emotional Dollars are you willing to sell your house for?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
It could be argued that a good IQ test question requires thinking ability and not knowing a lot of "trivia" answers... but it could be argued that a person with high IQ would naturally pick up a lot of knowledge during their ordinary life.
Anyway,

Originally posted by alfa1
What is the next number in this sequence:
5, 5, 3, 4, 3, 4, 4, 2, 3, 4, 5, .....

You need to know that pi = 3.1415926...etc...
The word "three", number of letters = 5
The word "point", number of letters = 5
The word "one", number of letters = 3
The word "four", number of letters = 4
The word "five", number of letters = 4
The word "nine", number of letters = 4
The word "two", number of letters = 3 (I see that I messed up there in the question)
The word "six", number of letters = 3

Pain is to bread as rue is to ____

You need to know a bit of French language, that "bread" is "pain".
So the English language word for "rue" is "street".

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

Excuse me?

Are you one of those IQ test makers in question, and have your knickers in a twist?
How on earth, can an intelligent man or woman, design a test and place a specific value on knowledge, ability and cognition, without inadvertently setting the bar no higher than his or her own???

Think about it...

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Are you one of those IQ test makers in question, and have your knickers in a twist?

So, you are assuming that the only people who would disagree with your posts, are those who actually make IQ tests, eh?

No.... I'm in this for semantics, and that being, the meaning of intelligence, that you and your ilk are trying to redefine to include everything *EXCEPT* actual intelligence.

This thread is an attack on the CONCEPT of intelligence, and thus, it is an attack on intelligent people.

And I will Fight back against any strategy that ridicules and marginalizes intelligent people, just to make stupid people feel SUPERIOR.

Go take your ignorance elsewhere, I'm defending this board from your intellectually under-evolved drivel.

How on earth, can an intelligent man or woman, design a test and place a specific value on knowledge, ability and cognition, without inadvertently setting the bar no higher than his or her own???

There is nothing to think about, your statement has no meaning.

Much like your perspective.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Before too many start in on this thread about the values of IQ's let me first say that some of the stupidest people I have ever known were at university.

Second, my IQ has always been at least a B+. (@ 88)

Yup, Just look at Australia's current Prime Minister for example.

Christ only knows how she got a law degree and went on to become PM.

Dumb as dog#.

I guess you attend the lectures & lick enough arse you get a bit of paper that says you are something.
edit on 22-12-2012 by Littlejohnny1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-12-2012 by Littlejohnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

I wasn't "assuming" anything. It was merely one thought ,that seemed plausible, given your vehement attempt to demean and criticize. When in fact, you could be employing one of an infinite number of possible personal beliefs, for your attack. Or you could be simply a troll, looking for a good challenge or chuckle. I have no idea. Hence the question.

And, uh, I don't have any ilk...The kids drank it all. So there...

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

I wasn't "assuming" anything. It was merely one thought ,that seemed plausible, given your vehement attempt to demean and criticize.

Well, you're pretty brash, aren't you?

You are stating that Intelligence isn't Real, and that kicking a ball, or feeling happy is the exact same thing as being able to think logically, and comprehend things.

You are the one demeaning and criticizing intelligence, and I am defending it against your puerile attacks.

When in fact, you could be employing one of an infinite number of possible personal beliefs, for your attack.

And this statement doesn't mean anything, and is basically just >Implying that what you say is the truth, just because you are saying it.

You are transparent.

Or you could be simply a troll, looking for a good challenge or chuckle. I have no idea. Hence the question.

OR, I could be someone who is attempting to defend the concept of intelligence from IDIOTS who believe that Kicking a ball is JUST AS GOOD as being able to understand complex concepts.

Go Away.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
ITT: "I'm not stupid, Smart isn't REAL!"

Hurr Durr.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt
reply to post by alfa1

I get:
1) 5
2) hunger

No no no...

The answers are:
1) 12
2) socks

Ha !
I'm the smart one !
I'm the smart one !

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

It could be argued that a good IQ test question requires thinking ability and not knowing a lot of "trivia" answers... but it could be argued that a person with high IQ would naturally pick up a lot of knowledge during their ordinary life.
Anyway,

What is the next number in this sequence:
5, 5, 3, 4, 3, 4, 4, 2, 3, 4, 5, .....

You need to know that pi = 3.1415926...etc...
The word "point", number of letters = 5
The word "four", number of letters = 4
The word "nine", number of letters = 4
The word "two", number of letters = 3 (I see that I messed up there in the question)
The word "six", number of letters = 3

Pain is to bread as rue is to ____

You need to know a bit of French language, that "bread" is "pain".
So the English language word for "rue" is "street".

And here I was under the impression that intelligence was like looking at these two questions and questioning their relation to intelligence. I try to guess who and why someone would need to know these things to be considered smart. What kind of a nut creates questions like this which rely on knowledge of a particular training. I guess it's all part of some initiation into particular kind of nutty organization.

Maybe I have a bit of a tendency to overthink things though..

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by IEtherianSoul9
LINK - IQ a Myth, Study Says

Can a moderator PLEASE move this to the 'Science and Technology' section...no clue how it ended up in the Fragile Earth section.

“When we looked at the data, the bottom line is the whole concept of IQ — or of you having a higher IQ than me — is a myth,” said Dr. Adrian Owen

“If there is something in the brain that is IQ, we should be able to find it by scanning. But it turns out there is no one area in the brain that accounts for people’s so-called IQ. In fact, there are three completely different networks that respond — verbal abilities, reasoning abilities and short-term memory abilities — that are in quite different parts of the brain,” Owen said.

IQ tests do not properly determine an individual's level of intelligence. The reification of intellectual acuity into a scalable number so easily defined by IQ tests is inaccurate; it's much more complex than that.

These recent results are in line with late pundit Stephen Jay Gould's views on biological determinism and intelligence testing. In his book the The Mismeasure of Man he provided a critical review of the reasoning behind the Bell Curve and IQ testing (notably the g factor).

The two fallacies that are present concerning the principles of IQ testing are: reification and hereditarianism. The hereditarianism fallacy claims that intellect can be passed on, through genes, to the progeny of a person. The degree to which it is heritable is clearly been exaggerated by the most avid hereditarians (Gould, 1996). The first fallacy doesn’t take into account environmental effects, which can greatly outweigh any genetic effects passed on from parent to child. It doesn’t allow for opportunities for improvement of intellectual capabilities through proper education. The second fallacy is the misassumption that if hereditary explains a certain percentage of variation among individuals within a group; it must also explain a similar percentage of the difference in average IQ between groups (Gould, 1996).

In conclusion the study determined that three factors - reasoning, short-term memory and verbal ability - form one's "cognitive profile" and that unlike a trait like height which can be measured almost precisely, intellect is not a single, scalable, immutable number, so easily defined by IQ tests.

edit on 12/22/2012 by IEtherianSoul9 because: (no reason given)

I think it is interesting, you hear people talking about "he graduated from MIT" etc.

The other night there was a stone mason on Coast to Coast that was an expert on monolithic stones and I was blown away how much information he had stored into is brain. He had such an interest. He could run rings around people with graduate degrees from MIT, you just can't judge a book by it's cover!

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by thetiler

"he graduated from MIT" etc.

So, does MIT have an IQ test for it's final exam?

Or is it more KNOWLEDGE based?

ITT: Dunning Krueger Effect... livin large.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
My IQ average is 140... after reading some of my reply-posts I'm sure I can be added as FACT to the OP's statement.

BUT - I would like to add that most, if not all, IQ tests are bias. They fail to factor in common sense in almost all cases. Same goes with culture - they fail to take any of that into consideration.

edit on 22-12-2012 by ChuckNasty because: added the culture thingie above...

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

They fail to factor in common sense in almost all cases.

That would be a CSQ (Common sense Quotient), not an IQ (Intelligence Quotient)

You have failed to realize that IQ tests don't MEASURE common sense... they measure Intelligence.

Duh.

IQ tests haven't FAILED to include common sense, in the same way that IQ tests haven't FAILED to include a body mass index.

The concept is irrelevant to what is being studied, as is your post irrelevant to this discussion.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

LOL - thanks for reminding me of OMNI magazine. Might even have some issue's in my storage box that my wife gives me grief about...with my Compute mags. Can't remember if I've ever done their IQ test though.

...I really need to let go of the past.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join