It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So is there any way I can ignore a user?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
There are a few posters in ATS who write very interesting stuff, but the majority of the members, I'm sad to say, don't contribute with anything remotely useful, at least to me. I would like to browse ATS as if they didn't exist, and if there is support for such a feature, it has to be able to handle a rather large list of rejects.

What does "add as rival" do by the way?
edit on 22/12/2012 by Deny777 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
We used to have an "ignore" button and I too sometimes wish we still had it. The add-rival button will list a member in your profile, bottom left beneath friends.
How to ignore? I guess do just that. It is inevitable that every community will have some strife between members, but handling it is up to you. If it is a personal attack you can 'alert' a mod.
Peace

ETA: Great thread for bells and whistles round here

edit on 22-12-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Deny777

Making another member a rival does nothing but alert said person to the fact that you don't agree with his posts...

And there is no feature to ignore members...

There are a few solutions though...

Don't reply to people you don't agree with... so as not to start an arguement... And if you do, try to be tactful

Don't feed the trolls...

Thats about it...

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The motto is deny ignorance, not ignore ignorance!!
edit on 22-12-2012 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Just a note about meaning. You may be looking for "Make a Foe" rather than a rival. A rival is someone you compete with on equal terms; a foe is more of an enemy....

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Agreed with OP. We need this feature back, pretty please.

Though the forum will seem pretty dead once I add all the crazies/drunks..

edit on 22-12-2012 by MurrayTORONTO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Have you considered that maybe you are on the wrong website? If there are that many members here who don't suit your fancy, it sounds like the problem is with you, not them. And I'm not saying that to be offensive. Not at all. I'm just saying it's something to consider.

I might also add, that you have very few posts and threads. You've barely contributed yourself, and have had very few exchanges with other members at this point. Consider giving it a bit more time before you write off the vast majority of our membership.

Still, you gotta do what you gotta do, and be true to yourself.
edit on 12/22/2012 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Deny777

You could always memorize their profile pic and user name and just don't read them.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Deny777

What are you going to do? Block 3/4's of the people on ATS? This isn't facebook.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Some time ago this used to be a website with so much interesting content, and I mean, it was SO GOOD it took me a while to realize it was a place where any registered user could post. Now the place is crowded with people who have the intellect of a seashell. A dead one that is. If that was all there was to it, I'd leave and never look back. But every now and then I stumble upon a few threads and posts that are like beacons of light amongst all that mediocrity.

Hey I have no problem ignoring the troll posts, my skin is as thick as it gets, although I may have to admit that at times it's a bit challenging to browse through dozens of pages of troll posts in order to milk the very few posts worth reading. But I do resent that people who have a lot to contribute and has thinner skin than me might be drawn away from the site because of aggressive trolling which frankly seems to have become the norm in here.

The site motto, "deny ignorance", seems to have become an excuse for some members to impose their point of view onto others, either by ridiculing threads they don't agree with or by demanding proof of whatever is said on a given thread, even if it's a personal story/experience.

I can and will go on ignoring the trolls, but I still believe that the site's content quality would benefit from a "ignore user" option. And no, I haven't contributed a lot yet, because differently from the vast majority of ATS posters, I only post when I have something useful to say. I neither collect nor care for flags or stars, that's for idiots.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
mouse scroll for the win.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Why do you think here should be any different from real life? Offline you do not have the luxury of an ignore button.
As others have said, learn whom you do not like to read, and eventually after a time, your mind will learn to automatically filter and your eyes scan over those whom you dislike to read.
I too miss the ignore feature, but without it this is how I cope with the boards.
Bear this in mind however, painting a member with a brush of ignorance can sometimes cause you to miss the one post they make of sheer brilliance. It does happen.
Seems at times the motto of ATS should be " DENY ARROGANCE".

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
well if ATS doesn't offer the ignore button (I think it used to) you could if your running the correct program, block the member on your own system, it means finding the specific url and placing into the restricted site list.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I miss the ignore feature!

There are a few and I mean just a few I'd ignore permanently.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Deny777

This may not be what you're saying, but this is what I think when people want to block users:

Let's say I have a pic of a ghost. I took the picture and I stand by it, to the point where I don't care how many people trash it. So, I don't need a button to ignore users.

BUT! Now I take a pic of a man in a bedsheet and claim it's a real ghost. I'm going to be p'd off because no one will believe my lie and call me names. NOW I want an ignore button.

See what I'm getting at? If the truth is with you, you wouldn't care at all what people think.

Other than that, I have been confronted by people acting like total TOTAL morons, and in another thread they come up with stuff that's absolutely brilliant. It's very rare that I'll throw someone away.
edit on 12/23/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Why do you think here should be any different from real life? Offline you do not have the luxury of an ignore button.
As others have said, learn whom you do not like to read, and eventually after a time, your mind will learn to automatically filter and your eyes scan over those whom you dislike to read.
I too miss the ignore feature, but without it this is how I cope with the boards.
Bear this in mind however, painting a member with a brush of ignorance can sometimes cause you to miss the one post they make of sheer brilliance. It does happen.
Seems at times the motto of ATS should be " DENY ARROGANCE".

I don't think I'm being arrogant, but you're entitled to view my actions as such if you wish. I think the internet should be different from real life because in real life we don't have access to the code which controls our interactions with others, whereas on the internet we do - and I can tell you, it's *easy*.

Now I don't think you've even read my posts thoroughly, I will not repeat what I've already written here - go back and read them if you want.

I'm done ranting, thanks for the replies folks, the suggestion of blocking a user url could work if the thread pages were just frames pointing to urls containing each individual post. It wouldn't make much sense coding like that and I've just did a quick analysis on the page source, indeed that is not possible - all that can be blocked is the link to the user's page, which doesn't help much.

Cheers and have a good one

new topics

top topics

join