It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knock on your door; Attachment / Detachment check. Which ones do you harbor the most.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
If you reading this, then you are presently somewhere on a computer, or a phone, or tablet sitting there going through ATS.

All of a sudden, a Buddha/Jesus/Saintly/Monk type figure knocks on your door.

You answer the door, and this being offers you the following:

"Leave everything behind and come follow me, and I will show you though direct experience the Absolute Truth, what's behind the proverbial veil, who you really are, Enlightenment, etc etc"

However, you have to leave everything behind. It may be temporarily or in me be permanent, but that's not up to you at the end, but fate's decision.

All your friends, family, job, house, money in the bank, bills, cars, computers, internet, games, clothes, gadgets, liquor/substances, and anything else you can possibly think of that you are attached to.
(assuming you don't have kids or they're old enough that they're on their own).

This is the one and only time this person will knock, never again, what's your take?
Go or stay?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
It would depend if this person appeared out of thin are when i opened the door or if they had a space ship sitting in my drive way.. If either of those things were part of your posed question then yes I leave everything behind and go with them.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I'm going to make the assumption that the person at my door is the divine spirit and no one else in this scenario and construct my answer from there, which is this:

Yes, I would probably go. Why is this? Because essentially this question is asking me this: What is more important to me as an individual? The comfort of my current and known reality/attachments or the possibility of experiencing something some new, unknown and potentially more complex/profound. I personally value the later experience over the former. So, yes, I would go and that is why.

-Ghoster
edit on 22-12-2012 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-12-2012 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I'll hope my wife and I meet again in the next life...as we've managed to find each other again this one. Hopefully, recall will be full enough for us both to explain what happened to end our time together this time around because I'd feel bad about that.....but I'd take the offer and with no more than a second or so to process the above concern. It's the only hesitation I'd have if I believed the 'being' before me was truly as represented for origin.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Yes, without hesitation. The only two difficult things to leave behind would be my family and friends, but with my beliefs in reincarnation I feel that I will see them again in my next life, so in the end they would not be too dificult to leave behind, as I would only be leaving them behind in this life. That is why I would go in an instant without hesitating.

What would be your decision dominicus? Go or stay?
edit on 12/22/2012 by theUNKNOWNawaits because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
UNDERLYING MEANING TO THIS POST:

The OP is makes a great analogy. This commitment is no different than the one you make with your heart to the higher power. It is the same sacrifice only from within. If one can see the pattern, one can be the pattern.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
nope..naharr...Id stay....I dont have attachments to anything material...cept the love of family...If Im on this plane of existance for a reason...mostly being the journey of being here with extensions of myself...Ill stay the course...and being the matriach of the family...I could not walk away without the thought of who I left behind are heartbroken..worried...ect....nope ... and whos to say what enlightenment trully is?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Although I've always said if a space ship landed in the field, I would go, this is a little different in that it's some sort of divine presence. I probably would not go. My reasoning is thus:

1. I'll get there eventually anyway. I don't really need a mentor or tutor here. It would hurry up the process, but the need for speed is illusory anyway. Why the hurry? Life is a process, not a destination.

2. Presumably there is a reason I'm here now. Somehow I already made that decision. To cut it off early would seem a violation of the contract, so to speak.

3. If I left abruptly it would cause considerable disruption here to my family. I've promised my wife I would not leave her. It would not be morally right to go back on my promise. Obviously accidents happen, but it ould be better to control the process for the sake of others. It would be selfish to act otherwise.
edit on 12/22/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Kerrylee

nope..naharr...Id stay....I dont have attachments to anything material...cept the love of family...If Im on this plane of existance for a reason...mostly being the journey of being here with extensions of myself..

what if the reason is to go with this person to see for yourself what they are offering?

2nd line

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kerrylee
nope..naharr...Id stay....I dont have attachments to anything material...cept the love of family...If Im on this plane of existance for a reason...mostly being the journey of being here with extensions of myself...Ill stay the course...and being the matriach of the family...I could not walk away without the thought of who I left behind are heartbroken..worried...ect....nope ... and whos to say what enlightenment trully is?

I definitely see where you are coming from in that if we are here for the journey on this plane of existence than one would lean toward staying. Staying because we are here for a reason, which is the journey.

However, what if this incident was supposed to be part of your journey in this life? What if in this life the reason you are here was to get to this moment and finally discover the absolute truth, enlightenment, etc.? Would looking at it from that angle change your decision? -- similar question to what dominicus posted above, he beat me to it

Same questions could be asked to schuyler. What if the process of your life this time and reason you are here now is to go in this situation? Does your decision change?
edit on 12/22/2012 by theUNKNOWNawaits because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

This question is akin to someone saying, "You have in your possession the world's only copy of an immensely special, immeasurably valuable, and divine video game. I will give you all the files and cheat codes and add-ons to this game, if you give the game to me right now. You may get it back someday, or you may never see it again. My superiors will make that decision. This is a one-time deal. Choose wisely."

Sometimes, you have to climb the mountain instead of taking a helicopter to the peak. It gives you something to be proud of, and it makes your discoveries that much more meaningful. Pain and struggle makes the joy of understanding all the sweeter.

edit on 22-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
My first reaction would be am I being punked. Who are you and why me?I have to give up my family with no guarantee. That is a hell of a price to pay to maybe look like a sucker. Does he give you a preview?Why doesn't he do the vulcan mind meld on me if he was such a nice guy. This is like meeting the devil at the crossroads.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by theUNKNOWNawaits
Same questions could be asked to schuyler. What if the process of your life this time and reason you are here now is to go in this situation? Does your decision change?

If it is ordained, then it will happen out of my control, but if the decision is left to me, then I get to choose. That's the deal that is being offered here. The fact that I have a decision at all means I am tasked with weighing the factors involved. If a divine presence proclaimed I made the wrong decision because I decided it was important not to leave my family in dire straits and instead be selfish in my quest for personal knowledge, then I would question the divinity of that presence.

As a conundrum this is a fairly easy problem. The "penalty" for choosing to continue to help my familiy is the lack of instant enlightenment which would otherwise have to be earned over time. It's nowhere near as jolting as a problem where you had to choose between killing your daughter to save your son, where no matter what you did there was a moral downside to it. Of course this is colored by my belief system which is that I, indeed, all of us, will get there eventually, so to me it is a fairly minor penalty which does not grieve me.

It's kind of like sending Johnny to his room for being bad, but that's where his computer, X-box, and WiFi connection are located. If I make the "wrong" decision I'm condemned to several lifetimes more of adventures. Sounds like a win to me.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
If you reading this, then you are presently somewhere on a computer, or a phone, or tablet sitting there going through ATS.

"Leave everything behind and come follow me, and I will show you though direct experience the Absolute Truth, what's behind the proverbial veil, who you really are, Enlightenment, etc etc"

However, you have to leave everything behind. It may be temporarily or in me be permanent, but that's not up to you at the end, but fate's decision.

All your friends, family, job, house, money in the bank, bills, cars, computers, internet, games, clothes, gadgets, liquor/substances, and anything else you can possibly think of that you are attached to.

This is the one and only time this person will knock, never again, what's your take?
Go or stay?

Hi,
I guess that would be a scary thing; if someone new begins to knock.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

What if everything in your household is in check? Kids grown and out, wife has plenty $ in the bank to take care of everything, and she tells you that it's up to you and supports whatever your decision is?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

reply to post by schuyler

What if everything in your household is in check? Kids grown and out, wife has plenty $ in the bank to take care of everything, and she tells you that it's up to you and supports whatever your decision is?

What if? What if? What if? You set the conditions on your initial post. You said nothing about a wife's approval. I really don't think it is fair to keep adding conditions as you begin to get answers that point out the holes in your original statement. What if you knew you had cancer and were going to die in a few monhs anyway? What if you knew your wife had a terminal illness and was going to be dead anyway? What if it was almost December 21st and the world was going to be destroyed anyway? What if Jesus had come to you in a dream months earlier and had told you that of a guy knocks on your door with a proposition that actually he's the devil and will take you to hell? You can play these pepetual what if games all day long. You got a few answers here. Have the good grace to accept them and not try to slither from beneath your original proposition.
edit on 12/22/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Go or stay?

It would depend on whether I got confirmation from the inner voice/soul on this being and his/her message. if I did I would seriously consider it if not I would send them packing.

Not to worry this type being will never knock on your door until you are ready to get confirmation that you should follow this being, And in this day and age its not likely he would come as a traditional monk and ask you to give up everything in life but would likely show up as a teacher of some sort in your life.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Depends on if I am needed where I am or not. If I am not then I would go.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Kerrylee

I could give it a try if we are talking about EN-LIGHT-MENT as an opened crown chakra with the physical changes brain chemistry and bodily function, for instance the perception of feeling is increased and the subject get a feeling of mild euphoria when not occupied with thinking and is relaxed. (EN-LIGHT-ENED, In the light) Can physicly notice a change of being. Can bring wisdom and loving behaviour but do not have to depending for instance on previous experiances in the persons life and current social enviroment. It is like being having a light following you around in a dark room.

We all have our road to walk and you should be proud of your answer. It is a very responable and caring answer.

edit on 22-12-2012 by LittleByLittle because: Spellchecking

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I would have to say no, sorry, no soliciting.....

What could HE teach me about ME? How would he be able to first make me ready and willing to know me? That is entirely up to me. I have to be willing and ready to begin.

He would be a liar. I would have to knock on his door for this to work...

edit on 22-12-2012 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join