It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NJ Town agress with NRA, Places Armed Guards at Schools

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

On the same day the National Rifle Association spoke publicly for the first time since last week's elementary school massacre in Connecticut, one local school district announced plans to place armed police officers in every school.

The mayor of Marlboro Township in New Jersey said Friday there would be armed security guards at the district's nine schools starting in January.
Link

This is my favorite part:

Critics on social media point out armed guards might not have saved anyone in Newtown.

But an AWB would have? Like the one in CT? Or maybe they really found the magic gun-disappearing pixie dust I've heard so much about?

I love it. You're idea might not work 100% so we shouldnt bother doing it. Our idea might not work 100% and will affect the lives of millions and millions of innocent law abiding people but we must do it.
edit on 22-12-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: title

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

The mayor of Marlboro Township in New Jersey said Friday there would be armed security guards at the district's nine schools starting in January.
Link

I think that the Mayor of Marlboro Township in NJ is doing the right thing; and I think that every school in the U.S. should follow his example and do the same.

The American children are very afraid and I believe they do need the added protection.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
well it is a positive step in two ways...

protects and reassures the kids

and, creates employment.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Wow never thought New Jersey would be one of the first to enact this, totally surprised by that. But I agree good decision and hope many to follow in their footsteps.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

I guess they took a look at their CT style gun laws and their dense population and realized "oh, crap none of what we're doing is actually accomplishing anything!" So they decided to try something that could actually work.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Lots of schools do this a Texas school even has staff that CCW.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ParanoidAmerican

Yes but this is New Jersey, the state that trembles at the site of a bb gun.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
It is so very nice to FINALLY hear and see COMMON SENSE EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS in response to these school shootings!!!!!

A gunman is NOT going to plan a mass shooting if he KNOWS that his mission will be met with a SWIFT OPPOSITION resulting in a quick TERMINATION of said mission!! PERIOD.

No law or ban will stop another school shooting.

[color=limegreen]Repeat: NO LAW OR BAN WILL STOP THE NEXT SCHOOL SHOOTING... but a firearm WILL stop it and even PREVENT it from OCCURRING AT ALL in the first place!!

It is so nice to hear of common sense solutions that will ACTUALLY WORK!!!!

And what a SMACK IN THE FACE this is to the TRAITORS looking to disarm America!!!!!!!! A REAL SOLUTION for our children, which also puts a nice stop to their plans of disarming the American citizens for their NEFARIOUS goals.

edit on 22-12-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Funny how people immediately scoffed at the NRA for saying this was a good idea, and then ironically one of the strictest states implements it. This is great news by the way, and I hope that others follow suit. I did not agree with everything that the NRA said in their statement yesterday, but this was one of the most obvious things that should have been done long before this latest tragic event even occurred.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Isn't there something wrong with us having to have armed guards everywhere?

Doesn't that look a lot like marshall law? I guess we are going to be screaming for it and demanding before they have time to do it themselves.

I guess thats what this is really all about.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I'm torn. My teenagers are a little freaked out but I believe to the degree of a normal reaction to the chances of their school seeing a shooting. We talked about the odds of winning the lottery and how ever small your chances of winning may be that if you're not holding the ticket your chances are absolute zero.

So even with armed gaurds at schools, your still at a school, when something is meant to be, it just is.

I'd rather not have anyone armed at a school that gets hired for minimum wage watching my kids.

But it has been true that these shooters pick places where they know they won't get challenged until cops arrive. So maybe it would be a deterrent. Maybe

Also, If I was to want to do a school shooting and the school had security? I bet you can guess who dies first from a rifle shot from the parking lot? The guy in the obvious to spot uniform. Then the school is mine
Just a thought.
edit on 22-12-2012 by Mrgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I wouldn't trust some of the security guards I've known to protect the children. And all a guy has to do to get past this barrier is to off the guard, so putting them in every school will just put more fear into the children's and parent's minds. Idiots is too strong a word. Or not.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
Isn't there something wrong with us having to have armed guards everywhere?

Doesn't that look a lot like marshall law? I guess we are going to be screaming for it and demanding before they have time to do it themselves.

I guess thats what this is really all about.

You beat me to it, isn't this one of the same responses we had to 9/11.....which created homeland security and the TSA?.....Who will these armed guards report to? Having a private security company will be temporary, pretty soon the kinks will be ironed out and the government will start saying that they can't trust private armed guards with kids and there needs to be a standard in recruiting, training, and command structure....Oh, this would fall under homeland.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
So now, children in America will get used to being watched, scrutinised and feared upon in everyday life by armed supervisors.

Your Big Brother has won. Your guns are costing you your freedom, don't you get it?

I'm sure through ignorance, many would disagree.

Freedom is NOT NEEDING A GUN.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Well, I dunno if we needed to place random armed guards at schools, maybe they could've allowed teachers and a principle to go get weapons training, and provide them with the utilities needed to protect schools.

Pretty soon, it will be a government mandate to have TSA in every school.. We all know how well the TSA has handled terrorism..

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
So now, children in America will get used to being watched, scrutinised and feared upon in everyday life by armed supervisors.

Your Big Brother has won. Your guns are costing you your freedom, don't you get it?

I'm sure through ignorance, many would disagree.

Freedom is NOT NEEDING A GUN.

Maybe we can fight tyranny with words.

I keed. I am in no position to help with this situation through laws. I'm unemployed and spend my time trying to fix that situation. But I'm still able to protect myself in an emergency. Try to think of guns like life insurance.

But I do realize there is no room in that metaphor for someone using life insurance in a theater so. Hmm.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7
Well, I dunno if we needed to place random armed guards at schools, maybe they could've allowed teachers and a principle to go get weapons training, and provide them with the utilities needed to protect schools.

Pretty soon, it will be a government mandate to have TSA in every school.. We all know how well the TSA has handled terrorism..

I think that I agree with this approach more than a guard. You don't have to arm all of them. Statistically some of them already like guns to begin with. They would need to volunteer to be the one that carries.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Don't see what the big idea is..here in Boston there are armed guards all throughout some of the schools in the lower income areas...but there is the problem....in the more middle to upper class this would be a horrible thought to have these kids exposed to armed guards...in the ghettos this is perfectly acceptable...such hypocrisy...

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Well an armed police force sure helped at Virginia Tech..... oh wait I guess not. This is good to make people feel better but, the first kid with a fake gun that gets shot by one of them will end that. Not to mention a rent a cop in a shoot out with gunman in a school full of kids? He might hit more kids than the gun man. I suppose like most armed guards they may be just for show and suppose to surrender when confronted. That would cut down on friendly fire anyway.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

The burbs have always had a "never happen hear" attitude while the cities with gangs have been taking these measures to protect their children for decades now.

Reality is always a surprise to affluent white people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join