It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pink Floyd the alien connection

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Now,now,now don't be silly.

Dave Gilmour is a space alien !!!

This guy has been sampling a little too much of the same medicine as Syd Barrett if you ask me !!!

The only conspiracy I could ever see surrounding Floyd was why does everyone bang on about Syd Barrett being some kind of genius ??

Have you heard 'Piper'.lol.

I've been a Floyd fan since I was about 17 which is way back in the mists of time now and have always rated Dave Gilmour as a very unique and highly melodic guitar player that stands with the all time greats.The best thing Syd Barrett ever did was flip out on acid and make way for David Gilmour.And as far as him sending Syd to the dark side of the moon to get him out of the way I think Syd did a very good job of that all by himself.If you know you're Floyd history you'll know Dave Gilmour was drafted in,at first,to provide the guitar backing and musicianship exactly because Barrett was becoming incredibly unstable and flakey.

I repeat.Gilmour came into Floyd because Barrett was losing it.It wasn't a case of Barrett was fine and lost it after Gilmour came on the scene.The thing with Barrett,he was like Brian Jones in the Stones,fine when they were beginning but once they began to find their sound and grow musically he wasn't able to/capable of growing with them.Sad but there you go !!

I'm also a guitarist of 25 years and can say that Gilmour is an incredible musician,the feel,expression in his playing stands out along with some of the very greatest in rock history.As I said he is incredibly melodic in a way that makes him instantly recognisable in a similar way,if not sound to Peter Green.It's about feel,expression,phrasing that's sublime,again to me it's something he and Peter Green are both true exponents of !!

The high pitched scream,if that's what the alien sound is was Roger Water.Mind you,watch him doing it on the video Live at Pompeii and you'dnot be blamed for believing Roger Waters was an alien.lol

Watch that video where they play 'Echoes',always my favourite song of theirs along with Meddle,my favourite album and you can see how they produce the sounds they get on the record.He uses a slide while laying his strat flat on the ground and playing it like a steel guitar.

It is easily reproduceable because I can myself.Echoes isn't a complicated piece to play but getting it to sound perfect takes some skill.

A lot of what was incredible musicianship when the likes of Gilmour or even Jimmy Page with the violin bow originally played these things aren't that hard to master for someone with a reasonable amount of ability and the records to go by.The genius isn't in the playing of these pieces it's in initially conceiving and creating them in the first place.

If were talking Classic Rock music and guitar players then if anyone was touched by 'aliens,angels or the devine' it was Jimi Hendrix !!

Where that guy got his sheer ability,musicianship and soul from is more of a question as there hasn't been anyone quite like him since and I doubt there ever will be again !!!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by fastbob72

I just don't think you're giving Syd his due credit, alot of his solo stuff was really top notch, and before he tipped his hat, so to speak, I would have had no problem whatsoever refering to him as musical genius. Psychadellic Blues wasn't a genre, it was a frontier at the time and he was the catalyst for an entire new sound in music.
en.wikipedia.org...
That's just the solo list, not to mention early floyd releases.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DieSektor
Most notable is the song Echoes...being a guitarist myself I can easily understand how a guitar setup with the right equipment can mimic these "alien" sounds but the striking thing about all of this is that these messages or communications have been present throughout the bands whole career...it would take alot of premeditated thought and planning to have been unauthentic human made sounds?

What are your thoughts people? Having listened to this band for well over a decade ill never see them in the same light again..

HUGE Floyd fan here myself and the sound you're speaking of is the wah connections reversed and it was discovered by Dave's roadie.

The seagull squeals or the reversed wah wah effect is perhaps the most innovative sound on the song. In an interview with Guitar Player in 2008 David talks about how a roadie “discovered” the effect when he plugged wah in the wrong way. On 1970’s live performances the effect was fed through the quadraphonic sound system making it even more dramatic.

Gilmourish

As a fellow guitarist I'm sure you'll dig the site.
edit on 23-12-2012 by Yngvarr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
While I won't give any credence to this theory, I will point out another interesting connection.

The name of the album The Division Bell was apparently suggested by Douglas Adams, author of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

At a dinner one night, writer Douglas Adams...suggested The Division Bell (used in the lyrics for "High Hopes"), and the name stuck.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I think progressive rock bands of the 60's and 70's created a culture way ahead of their times...Groups like Pink Floyd,Genesis,Supertramp,Queen,Rush,and a hand full of other mostly British rock bands have had very similar views about politics,society,metaphysics Conspiracies,etc,as people do today in 2012-13...They have anticipated and explained the cause of a lot of the problems we are facing today,almost half a century ago! and that to me is being creative and Original....And from a musical technical point of view, they have pioneered in the making of a lot of the sounds we use in our tiny shiny cute tunes today,plus most cool rock guitar riffs and melodies,new song settings,innovative vocals,new scales,tripy!chords, visual stage effects,etc,etc....I personally think The Wall will be remembered as the most creative pieces of music written in the 20'th century,an absolute classic rock opera for the ages to come.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
reply to post by fastbob72

I just don't think you're giving Syd his due credit, alot of his solo stuff was really top notch, and before he tipped his hat, so to speak, I would have had no problem whatsoever refering to him as musical genius. Psychadellic Blues wasn't a genre, it was a frontier at the time and he was the catalyst for an entire new sound in music.
en.wikipedia.org...
That's just the solo list, not to mention early floyd releases.

I knew I'd get blasted by the 'Barrett Brigade',haha

It's a matter of opinion I suppose and one that I have always been out numbered holding but still it's one I hold to with the same belief.

Though 'Arnold Lane' is a song I do enjoy particularly for it's bizarre subject matter.lol.

But Syd Barrett was a side issue really the main point was that Dave Gilmour is a musical genius but unforetunetly not,in my view,an alien.lol.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join