It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Gov Cuomo: "Confiscation could be an option"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I bet a lot of NY gun owners felt safe(ish) with this recent spat of ban talks seeing as how they are already under their own AWB much like CT, NJ, MA and CA.

Sorry NY but you're not safe.

Continuing, Cuomo said:

“Confiscation could be an option. Mandatory sale to the state could be an option."

There is no compromising with these people. You give them an inch and they spend all their time working out how and when to take the next inch.

Cuomo then went on to suggest that minimally, the state will institute a permit process for owners of semi-automatic “assault weapons.”
link

They wont stop until they take them all. Take note you "fudd" types and you "I support the 2nd but...." types.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

They can create laws, loopholes to confiscate firearms.

I'd really like to see them try, however.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

I feel for the people of New York, but what did they expect? They keep electing radical leftists into public office even though they are aware that what these people want is to "let you be free- free to do what WE think is good for you!" They should have started a recall election petition when he started regulating what people can eat and drink (for their own good, of course).

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
i, being left of center, don't even believe this should happen. backround checks, and max 15 round clips are enough for me. my fellow democrats sometimes go way overboard. like republicans, they sometimes take the pendulum and swing it too much to the other side. i don't know why "reason", is in such short supply with our politicians.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

I feel for the people of New York, but what did they expect? They keep electing radical leftists into public office even though they are aware that what these people want is to "let you be free- free to do what WE think is good for you!" They should have started a recall election petition when he started regulating what people can eat and drink (for their own good, of course).

radical leftists?? c'mon, noam chomsky is a radical leftist...that's like saying speaker john boehner is a right-wing extremist

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

I'd really like to see them try, however.

With something like 50 million households having guns (and I've got no bloody idea how many actual guns that represents), I'd quite like to see that myself. You'd be looking at 10-15 years for the court challenges to wind up, and then another decade to confiscate the guns that haven't been hidden away. As for the hidden guns - you'd be looking at further generations to get rid of them.

I'll say it again: the only road here is to focus on mental health issues for the USA as a whole. Like it or not, guns aren't going to be removed from US society that easily. Focusing on mental health is the only way that America is going to prevent incidents like this from happening (with the added bonus that the rest of the world will follow America's lead and start addressing mental health issues seriously).

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

This is precisely why gun owners and defenders of the Constitution do not want to compromise.

Its all about incremental-ism.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I mean, do they want a civil war?

edit on 22-12-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Thanks to the wonders of mob rule the governor is selected by the most densely populated areas of any state which also happen to be the strongholds of nanny-state ideologies.

It really isnt fair at all that the entire state is essentially run by NYC. Same with Illinois and Chicago and Western MA by Eastern MA.

Many states are too large and diverse to be ruled by one homogenized urban center but they are.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

If you honestly dont believe that proposing to confiscate your firearms isn't radically leftist, or that regulating what kind/size of food or drink you can buy isn't radically leftist I just dont know what to tell you buddy.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

To be fair it's simply radically tyrannical.

Whether it is left or right tyranny depends on the motivation driving the tyranny.

America is fond of both. "We need to restrict liberties to keep us same from terror" right tyranny and "We need to restrict liberties to keep us safe from ourselves" left tyranny.

Regardless of where it's coming from it needs to be stopped and pushed back ASAP.

Once you compromise liberty for anything it ceases to be liberty.

Take jimmi's proposal of a 15 round mag cap. That couldnt possibly be more arbitrary and useless. It's an attempt to compromise tyranny. 30 is obviously too big and cutting to 5 or 10 would meet too much resistance so lets start with 15 and in five or ten years we'll cut it by another five rounds.

It's just more tyranny for tyrannys sake.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I completely agree! The radical right is every bit as bad as the radical left! Radicals on any end of the spectrum want to force their policies of what they consider is best on everyone else. The founding fathers are probably rolling over in their graves!

And what's worse? Radicals of all ilks will jump on any highly publicized tragedy to push their agendas. It's disgusting!

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
A shameless plug, OP, but a thread I wrote here is my way of trying to reason the whole issue.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I completely agree! The radical right is every bit as bad as the radical left! Radicals on any end of the spectrum want to force their policies of what they consider is best on everyone else.

Anyone who thinks it is their constitutional right to own a gun is a "radical rightie".

On topic I wonder how many people will hold to their beliefs once a swat team locked and loaded come barreling through their front doors?

Which puts to the real deal they would have to use extreme force to "confiscate" our weapons. There is a history of this dating back to Roosevelt and the confiscation of gold, then silver.

And we all know when those in government want something they usually get it. Merely owning a weapon has made million Americans criminals for doing nothing wrong.

edit on 22-12-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
In NYC, the mayor doesn't want people to be able to purchase a soft drink over a certain size.

This gun issue should be no surprise.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
CT had/has some of the most strict gun laws.. see how well they worked... are you impressed... ?

Japan doesn't allow their citizenry to own guns... yet their suicide rate is double of the U.S. ...cars kill more people than guns... lets ban cars while we are at it.....how many kids were killed in car accidents this last week.... oh can't do that we need our cars.. and cheeseburgers... they aren't good for your heart disease..16 ounce drinks you gota be a fat crazy person to drink that stuff..or very thirsty....does not matter a politician knows best..who voted that stuff in??... let's ban anything that can hurt people....like momma did when you were a baby.. no knives either... polluted air... let's ban that... everyone stop breathing 3..2..1..... I wonder how many armed guards Mr. Cuomo has on any given day... let's start by taking their weapons and have him lead by example etc etc...Oh can't do that he needs defense from some crazy!! Hummmm
Sure seems to be a trend by those who do not have to worry about protecting their life and liberty yet are so ready to take mine and yours.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I am soooo glad I dont live in NY anymore
looking at those statistics in Australia, they will jump a thousandfold in places like NYC, Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles, if a gun ban is implemented here

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
As a dweller of NY I think King Cumo is overreaching. The folks in NYC can go #@&* themselves. They whine when stop and frisk takes illegal guns off the street and then want to take them away from law-abiding citizens. My father, a retired cop has been doing the contact your congressman approach. How will any of this legislation do anything? Criminals already break laws and are coddled by the lawyers and civil rights busybodies. All these proposed laws don't do squat about the real issues. Like drunk driving isn't a issue about driving but about alcohol abuse, gun violence is not about guns it's about the people perpetrating the violence.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I had to give you a star for calling me a "radical rightie"!!

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I can see it now.. Next big news headlines...

Police shot down while trying to confiscate guns from american citizens who own them legally...

Man who was arrested for shooting says.. you can pry my guns from my cold dead hands.

Didnt they make alcohol illegal at one point? oh yah that worked out great, its legal again right? lmao

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Well at least they want to buy them from you (like "manifest destiny") albeit mandatory as proposed. Others idea of confiscation is to simply take them no matter the value (especially large and high end collections).

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join