It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever wonder where Amazon keeps all their stuff? Look at this!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
It's pretty incredible. Now you know where to to get some extra goodies when SHTF!

Inside Amazon’s ‘Chaotic Storage’ Warehouses

Original Story Here

edit on Sat Dec 22 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Starting a New Thread?...Look Here FirstAboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sitesplease post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item, as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by 2ndFUTURE

That would have to be one of the worst places to work at.

screw that

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
wheres the thingy bob?

i knew i put it down one of the aisles...

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

It's pretty incredible. Now you know where to to get some extra goodies when SHTF!

If for some odd reason I woke up and was the only person left in the world. I have a feeling I would hang out in those warehouses for a few years.

Just as long as the zombies didn't get there first.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I was sitting here thinking just the opposite. I'd LOVE to work there and root around in all the goodies. Too cool!

It would be like the supernatural storage warehouse at the end of Indiana Jones. Lol

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
As a logistics nerd I'd be in heaven.

If I worked there I'd have to look past the fact that it's an organized mess and realize they have upwards of 10 million square feet of this stuff scattered among several warehouses. So the system MUST work. I think the main reason it works though is because that is where Amazon places it's priority. Warehousing. They have their best minds working towards perfecting that aspect of the business. As someone who's done this type of work for awhile now I'm a little biased when I say this, but in whatever business you operate, if your storage space isn't optimized with everything accounted for, you're in for a long bumpy ride.

A necklace could be located beside a DVD and underneath a set of power tools. This arbitrary placement can even help with accuracy as it makes mix-ups less likely when picking orders for shipment.

The pick routes would be the most interesting part.

Cool stuff OP. S & F

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
In a SHTF scenario we are so fond of, THAT would be the place to restart society. If there was a decent library across the street, meet your new capitol....

ask yourself, what is NOT there.....

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2ndFUTURE

Inside Amazon’s ‘Chaotic Storage’ Warehouses

actually looks like a very well run distribution centre
you should try and find film of the forklift area,if the storage area
amuses you you won't believe how hecktick and dangerous the
forklift sorting area is(goods in)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
WOW.

It's the Dewey Decimal system on steroids. Or a high tech North Pole, depending on how you look at it.

Always wondered what the machine looked like. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Amazing, and interesting. I'd always wondered how they did it all. Thank you for sharing.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I saw a TV special on their unit once. Pretty clever the way they save space but, yeah, wouldn't want to work there. I'd feel like a Stepford Wife walking around filling my cart.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

I wonder what how bad their employee theft problem is. The place is huge, looks like there are many places to hide behind or to disguise your movements, be too easy to shove something expensive in your pants every day. Like a watch or sunglasses.

They probably have some kind of policy about bringing nothing in, bringing nothing out. It would be interesting to hear from an employee who works in one of their warehouses, if we have someone here.

Thanks for sharing, those pictures are great. Now I know where all my lovely things come from.

new topics

top topics

join