It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawaiian Island Oahu Will Smooth Over in 1.5 Million Years, Filed Down by Groundwater

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

In 1.5 million years, Hawaii's jagged mountains will dissolve and erode at a faster pace than the tectonic processes below the island can keep up with, according to a recent Brigham Young University study (via UPI). Eventually, the once varied landscape, pocked with cracks and crevices, will smooth over, subject to the whim of groundwater.

Source
Another article

This is interesting.
1.5 million years is a long time though. I think by the time this starts to become an issue, our technology should be sufficiently advanced enough to provide some type of workable solution.

Volcanic regeneration?
Maybe some type of other land mass creation plan?

Or does nature have it's way regardless of how much progress we make?

Either way I think this is cool stuff.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
1.5 million years? I doubt human kind will be as it is today. We may have evolved into a different type of humanoid species, we may have left the Earth completely or we may have become extinct.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I believe that nature always wins in the end; I'm just glad it wont happen in my lifetime! The Hawaiian Islands are beautiful! I've been to three of the islands and plan to visit the rest when I can.

join