It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little concerned about my options to delete my account

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
All it means is your responses and threads remain on record....long after youve left.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
A good reminder NOT to be a douchebag online because what you say on the Internet, is forever. It's a good thing in my books, cuts down on the troll count...

But there really should be an option for those who want to leave the website to be able to do so permanently...I just deleted my linkedIn account...and twitter many years ago - but what I posted is still searchable!

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Texan123
From what I understand...You cant delete your account... Why on Earth would that Be...That seems mighty odd. I hope I'm wrong, but if not...WHY! Does anyone else here not have a problem with this...

it's so if you go a rampage or are simply arrested, the FEDS can supoena your account and learn all about you....watch what you write, my friend

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
as soon as it has been posted, it becomes the property of 'The Above Network'.

That statement is an often repeated myth that is completely incorrect.

The content you post is always yours. But when you post, you give ATS the irrevocable nonexclusive right to use what you post.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Texan123

Gotta play the devils advocate here... maybe this site was created by the FBI and CIA to track some crazies that missed the 'facebook fad'

O.o

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Pirateninjah

Hahaha watch as all the regular trolls close their account after absorbing that thought.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
You're already on the government watch lists, so why stop now?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

as soon as it has been posted, it becomes the property of 'The Above Network'.

That statement is an often repeated myth that is completely incorrect.

The content you post is always yours. But when you post, you give ATS the irrevocable nonexclusive right to use what you post.
I won't even attempt to dissect all of the words within the T&C's. Too many big words, and I may quickly lose interest.

....But from what I've read, I'm not seeing how my statement could be 'completely incorrect'. Partially incorrect? Maybe, but not completely.

It may be a shared ownership, but after my 2 hours are up, I have no power to do anything at all with my post. I can't remove it. I can't add to it. I can't change it. All I can do is ask nicely, and maybe someone will do it for me.

You, on the other hand, not only have the power to do anything you want to my post, but you also have the power to grant another 3rd party permission to do whatever..........
[color=777777](Not that anybody would want any of my posts, so that's hypothetical of course.)

6)

You will not copy, distribute, display, or publicly perform material from the Websites to Post on other websites or quote in offline research in a manner that does not comply with the Creative Commons License that specifies the author's member name as a member of AboveTopSecret.com, includes [color=FFE7A3]The Above Network, LLC and the member as owners of the content, provides the title of the thread, and a full URL to the board thread. 

Even if I were to re-post my own comments to another website, according to the T&C's, I'm supposed to acknowledge TAN, right? I don't think you know who I am, so if I re-posted to another website, you wouldn't know if I was me, or if I was someone else.

Now if I actually am the owner, then I want some of them back. I've had some informative posts that I had spent some time on, that got trashed, because a Mod was too lazy to remove a couple posts, and just trashed the whole thread instead.

reply to post by Pirateninjah

Originally posted by Pirateninjah

.....maybe this site was created by the FBI and CIA to track some crazies that missed the 'facebook fad'

That might have been somewhat slightly plausible if not for the small fact that ATS was online before Facebook.

edit on 12/23/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

It may be a shared ownership,

Incorrect. You own what you post, you give us the right to use it. There is no "shared" ownership.

Even if I were to re-post my own comments to another website, according to the T&C's, I'm supposed to acknowledge TAN, right?

Incorrect. If you own what you wrote, there's no need to reference ATS when posting elsewhere.

That portion of the T&C is specific to the content other members (no you) post to the forums.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I give ATS the permission to use this post of mine...

Edit to add: I'm willing to sell the ownership of this post too...

edit on 23-12-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
You'd screw up the Hotel California Matrix if you deleted your account......

Can't have that happening..once you've checked in...that's it Bro...

Des

It is already hard enough to follow threads that have most posts on the page removed for being off topic, if they got deleted after the members closed their accounts, it would look like crazy people talking to themselves.

Imagine finding a thread that appears to be very informative at first glance, then when you click on it you can only see posts agreeing, congratulating the poster and things like that... but the OP missing.

posted on Sep, 14 2021 @ 12:44 AM
link   
This is my last post, due to this the very nature of this subject!!! 🤬

This site is being used now and has been to seriously track your threads and mindset to ensure if your a good citizen or not!!!

but after google requesting my location, I'm out!! Never had that happ since I've been a member!!! Check my profile!!

You can take the red pill or blue pill, your choice. Meet you in CAMP 17! 😔

posted on Sep, 16 2021 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Yeah, I don't think you can.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join