It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new way to INDICATE when someone is having a STROKE

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR. Read and

Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S *Ask the individual to SMILE.

T *Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A

SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)
(i.e. Chicken Soup)

R *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call emergency number immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue. If the tongue is

'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke.

ferdiewerdie.com...
i took this from a friends facebook page..

IM NOT BOTHERED IF THIS AS BEEN POSTED BEFORE.

I think the more people that get to read this the more chance

that a STROKE victim will be saved

my dads had a few mini srtokes so this hits home for me

edit on 22/12/2012 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
edit on Sat Dec 22 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Dec 22 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: added a link

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Great post, as a paramedic, I really loved this. The three hour window is so they can get rtp or thrombolytics which are clot busters, on board. Research now is expanding that window to even 8 hours here now. This means you can get them on board within 8 hours of when the stroke started. It is extremely important to try and figure out when it started so a good question to always ask is when they were last seen normal. Another thing to add is that there are two different strokes, you have ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes. If you give rtp to a hemorrhagic stroke, it WILL kill the patient. It is only used for ischemic strokes along with aspirin and heparin. A ct scan is the only way to confirm what kind of strokes it is. Sorry about the grammar and spelling, I'm on my mobile.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

Thank you...excellent thread!

I will pass this message along to others.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LoverBoy

thanks for adding to the thread mate

and keep up the good work i have much respect for those

that work to help others

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Thank you for posting this. I have put a link in my signature in the hopes that more will read it.

I believe it is essential that non-medical people such as myself are aware. I had read the original before, but have added the tongue as a further check.

All I would say is never be afraid to ask a person to do these checks, especially if they are obviously of an age where they may be susceptible.

My adoptive father died from a stroke. These checks were not needed as it was very obvious, even to me, what had happened. It took many days of extreme discomfort for him to pass on however and anything that one can do to avoid that sort of lingering death should be done - no matter how silly you may feel asking at the time.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

thanks i was trying to find a way to get the message across to others but i dont know how to add this to my signature

also

sorry for your loss

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Thank you. It was many years ago now so the pain is gone.

On your original post right click "this post" and copy link location or whatever the equivalent is in your browser.

In your profile add that using the url tags. If you are not sure about how to do that when there is no link button available please take a look at the PDF file in my signature.

New to posting? Some tips

It may help.
edit on 22/12/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Thank you OP!

BUT!

This post is similar to so many other tips for helping people that do not spell out exactly what to look for.

For example, prostrate problems. I have read up on them and they only give hints to what to look for. I am told how big a problem it can be, I am told what all the percentages are, all sorts of good information except what to bloody look for!

OK. In this post just to make the point and get it across.

Ask the person to smile! OK, now what. Are they unable to smile, is it lopsided, what do I look for in the smile!

Ask the person to talk. OK, now what. Are they unable to Talk, is it slurred. What do I look for in the speech!

Ask the person to raise their arms. OK now what. .......................

It is always the same. When we get to the symptoms, there is very little real information.

The person giving the original information knows what to look for because they do it every day! They seem to not be capable of passing on the real important relevant information due to familiarity with the symptoms.

We need much more information on what to look for! We, the ones they are trying to train, have no bloody clue what we are looking at, so more, more, more information please!!!

P

edit on 22/12/2012 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
People who are living on their own could use at least three of these indicators on themselves;
Raising both arms, smiling into a mirror, sticking out the tongue.

A very useful post. My mother was disabled down one side by one stroke, and had a fatal one four years later.,

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

To be fair the OP does say

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks

although I understand the point you are trying to make.

As far as prostate goes not having a 'satisfying pee' is the first symptom, but getting the Doc to wiggle his finger up yer bum is the best check!

reply to post by DISRAELI

Very good point!
edit on 22/12/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Yes I agree with your sentiments but at the same time they spend 90% of the words telling us how serious it is and a mere 10% telling us what to look for. 50/50 would be a better allocation.

So what, they can lift one arm as apposed to two. What? If they have any problems, what specifically. Oh, I am not blaming the OP who is passing the message along. It is the people that release this information that could and should be much more descriptive of the symptoms.

I have seen first hand what a lack of descriptions can cause. It causes the difference between life and death sometimes. People don't want to cause a fuss, so they provide excuses, sometimes deadly ones.

The medical profession seems to think that the mere public can't handle too much information. Well, I say we can, and the more the better.

P

ETA. Having the doc wiggle their finger is difficult for most men to accept. Now, absolutely seriously, with a straight face, how more willing would you be if the nice Nurse was doing the wiggling. Unfortunately, the Medical profession can not get its head around that one. Not for MEN. However, the women who wants a Female Gyno, hey, fine, no problems, completely understandable! It is rather one sided! Nay for Men!
edit on 22/12/2012 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Having the doc wiggle their finger is difficult for most men to accept. Now, absolutely seriously, with a straight face, how more willing would you be if the nice Nurse was doing the wiggling.

Strange as it may seem I would prefer it to be the male Doctor. It would find it considerably more embarrassing if it was a female doctor or nurse.

That is not an indication of my sexual preferences by the way

I have seen the Doc, had the wiggle and it is not such a bad experience. Better to have been 'wiggled' than not.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Yes, and some Women prefer the male Gyno. As a Counselor I understand and applaud the client that wants a choice of sex in their counselor. It is essential that they have this choice.

I would rather a female doctor. Unfortunately, the Australian medical profession is going down hill fast! Not only don't we have a choice, we get Doctors who can't speak the language properly. You try dealing with a doctor who seems better suited to a call center that a medical professional or the new Ninja doctors we have. Dressed head to foot, Islamic, and the veil muffles the sound, let alone the other person in the room who just sits quietly. I name them 'The Watchers.' Never have been able to find out why they are there.

I was spoiled once by a great doc who cared for the patient and was really good. Ask a question of my current one and he looks up text books! Not reassuring in the least. He has problems understanding English as well.

P

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

the new way is to ask them to stick out their tongue and if it goes to one side or the other then thats a sign of a stroke

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Having the doc wiggle their finger is difficult for most men to accept. Now, absolutely seriously, with a straight face, how more willing would you be if the nice Nurse was doing the wiggling.

Strange as it may seem I would prefer it to be the male Doctor. It would find it considerably more embarrassing if it was a female doctor or nurse.

That is not an indication of my sexual preferences by the way

I have seen the Doc, had the wiggle and it is not such a bad experience. Better to have been 'wiggled' than not.

an elder friend of mine used these words

dont die of embarrassment

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by maryhinge

the new way is to ask them to stick out their tongue and if it goes to one side or the other then thats a sign of a stroke

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke.

Yes, I read that and absorbed it. It is useful information. The arms, speech and smile lack that information. My comments are more comments on the whole genre of these sort of helpful articles. Many lack the extra information on what to look for. Seriously, do they have problems raising both arms or can they raise both but only partially. If they offer the excuse that their arms are tired?

I am just suggesting a little more of what to look for. The lounge bit was good. It described it in detail. The rest, not so good. Please do not take this the wrong way, most helpful pamphlets issued by the Government or hospitals have this lack of information.

So, what do we look for with the other three?

P

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   

drooping bottom lip like my dad had is a goo(bad) indicator

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Maybe some got it now?
Former high officer of US Army, war hero from Vietnam, guy who opposed the government, asking for the end of Vietnam war?
www.facebook.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
F.A.S.T.

Face.
Arms
Speech
Time to call 911.

Been that way for some time now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>