It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sales of bulletproof backpacks for kids soar in America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Sales of bulletproof backpacks for kids soar in America

www.independent.co.uk

Elmar Uy thought his software was acting up when he first saw the huge jump in sales of bulletproof backpacks last Friday. He checked the figures and discovered the website's traffic had jumped tenfold.
Then he turned on CNN, and it made sense.
Following the fatal shootings of 20 children and six adults last week at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., BulletBlocker said it is struggling to keep up with demand for its bulletproof backpacks for children.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Bullet Blocker Link

NY Daily News Article
edit on 21-12-2012 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
This is so sad, children having to wear bulletproof backpacks, at a cost of anywhere from between $200-400.

Credit to the inventor, entrepreneurial spirit at it's best because of an ugly situation that has developed.

Crazy times we live in, who would ever of thought it would get this bad.

Video attached explains how it works with real live testing

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-12-2012 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
If people actually exercised their rights it wouldn't be this bad.

There is absolutely nothing remaining in the American people that even remotely reflects the principles that our Union was built upon.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Regardless of whether or not it is worthwhile, this reflects parents feelings in America.

People talk about how kids would feel with armed security. I say they don't have to know anyone is armed, and it is no worse than bullet proof backpacks being necessary. All the weight from books is enough strain. Are we really considering this? Bullet proof backpacks....

Hire people to protect our children.

edit on 21-12-2012 by NarrowGate because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Must be nice. They've made it illegal to purchase bullet proof gear here in Alberta. politicians don't want citizens that can defend themselves against tyranny.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

This is so sad... bullet-proof backpacks!?! I guess protecting the child's books against being shot up is more important than protecting the child wearing the backpack.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
This is absolutely ridiculous, fear based marketing. It is like the high rise parachutes on sale after 9/11.
The more people live in fear, the more fearful energy will they attract to themselves.

And secondly, curiosity being natural to a child, how long will it be before a child SEEKS the gun in dad's closet to shoot the backpack, maybe with a friend wearing it.
Truly, to many children, a bulletproof backpack would only beg to be tested.

And ironically, the bullet proof backpack instills the consciousness that a bullet could be anywhere, and the idea of guns, and fear. When these sorts of thoughts begin to permeate a mass awareness, it becomes normal and self-perpetuating. By our minds, then, we can never enjoy freedom. And our kids are prisoners before they even grow up.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
sad ... whatever happened to children just being able to be children instead of worrying about whether or not some psychotic bastard is going to shoot them ... society has collapsed over there .. children should not need to buy bullet proof backpacks just so they can go to school...

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Kicking myself for not having thought of this first. I've long been aware of the lucrative prepper market, but this is pure genius. Kudos to that guy, hope he makes a mint.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
What about all the parts of your body that are not covered by the backpack? Like the most vital organ, the brain, for instance?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
While I understand the sentiment behind the backpacks, all they really do is offer a false sense of security.

Limited surface area.
Wouldn't have stopped any of the bullets that the Sandy Hook shooter used.
And don't most schools require you to store you backpack in your locker during classes?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Anyone who buys a bullet proof back pack is just saying "I'm scared. And i got the money to waste on bullet proof back packs because I don't know what else to do."

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
From a consumer point of view, absolute worst purchase you could ever make. From a business point of view, its brilliant. It took me 3 seconds to think all the reasons this is basically worthless.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Some people and their ridiculous ideas. What use is a bullet proof backpack hanging on a hook or in ones locker? Do the parents expect their kids to wear them around the clock?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I think it is sorrowful that this invention could become popular. But it is not as sorrowful as things would be, if there were not clever spirits around to construct such things. It was terrible that before antibiotic drugs, people could die from simple infections. It was terrible that lack of sanitation lead to so many deaths in early human history, and even in the middle part of the last millenium. But inventions like drugs, drainage, and sanitation solved those issues.

One thing strikes me about this backpack however. It seems to be quite small, considering its intended purpose. In my opinion, although one would want to appear "cool" at school, assuming of course one subscribes to the utterly unimportant opinion of ones peer group as to ones level of thermal negativity, one would also want a backpack designed to stop bullets, to cover the whole of the spine surely?

The pack, in its current shape, stops just above the begining of the lumbar region of the spine, injuries to which, can result in paralysis of varying severity and longevity. Why not make a larger pack, that covers all the way down to the meat of the rump? At least then the chances of suffering the harrowing effects of a spinal injury could also be reduced somewhat.

And another thing, if the bullet proof back pack is a good idea, why not just get your kids a kevlar body glove, reinforced under garments, tungsten capped boots? Go the whole hog! I mean, if things are that bad, that a bullet proof back pack is required, then surely the other measures I mention would be reasonable also? Perhaps these horrific attacks will lead to more streamlined, stylish personal protective gear?

Perhaps the teachers will be coming into work with those sharp looking bullet proof suits, like the One Obama wore a few times.

Heres a site that might just get some attention from the new generation, in this darkened age in which they are living...

www.miguelcaballero.com...

Is stuff like this the future of back to school fashion?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
this is like too extreme. this is hardcore pushing the issue, lets be real for a second - if someone really had an intent to shoot and kill knowing the victim is unarmed, you think they are only gonna aim for the back pack? or would run up aim else where?

My first instinct/gut feeling is that "real parents" aren't even buying this up. Even it were for "real worried parents" - why bother going to that pseudo extreme, might as well home school and shelter the snout out of your kid from society and it's modern day problems.

MSM has sooo much propaganda to brainwash people; wmd.

edit on 22-12-2012 by chinabean because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinabean
this is like too extreme. this is hardcore pushing the issue, lets be real for a second - if someone really had an intent to shoot and kill knowing the victim is unarmed, you think they are only gonna aim for the back pack? or would run up aim else where?

My first instinct/gut feeling is that "real parents" aren't even buying this up. Even it were for "real worried parents" - why bother going to that pseudo extreme, might as well home school and shelter the snout out of your kid from society and it's modern day problems.

MSM has sooo much propaganda to brainwash people; wmd.

edit on 22-12-2012 by chinabean because: (no reason given)

This isn't a tactical vest, it's a backpack that offers additional safety to having none. Many people would hide behind their backpacks or something else in a situation that it's aimed to protect against anyway. If it has the chance to stop one bullet, it may have the chance to save a life, so that's the purpose. It is not meant to make your kid indestructible but offer at least some kind of minimal protection in the worst case scenario.

Even on a child's back as they are running is a brilliant idea, their body becomes the largest target, it could make the difference of a kid running out alive and being gunned down on the attempt.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Positional Protective Crouch

This is how it is suppose to be used to protect the most body area.

I guess it's better than nothing.
This is more of a placebo type of gear than anything else, although I hope it never happens in the sense this will mean another madman attacked, it will be interesting to see the reaction if one of these actually saves a child's life in the future.
edit on 22-12-2012 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
sheesh, soon they will be handing them out as a compulsary requirement... or start having deals like "buy this lunchbox and get a Batman or Spiderman bulletproof vest/backpack"

the world is going to hell in a basket.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Same goes on in the UK with their "knife-proof" clothing.

www.bladerunner.tv...

Although bringing a knife into school premises has been illegal since the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006, teachers are still in danger of physical harm from persistent offenders who flout the law. Knives are carried to school by students as young as 10 – and, when questioned, 12% of 14-17 year olds admit to having carried a knife**. Out of school, where violent offences often take place, teachers are considerably more exposed than on school premises.

Parents are sending children to school in stab-proof uniforms to guard against knife crime.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

edit on 22-12-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join