It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Those Who Don't Belive 2012 Happened

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
lololololololol

the mayans believed at the end of an era, all of mankind was literally and physically transformed

say from mud to amber

stop hijacking this culture for your new age mumbo jumbo

?? Did you read my thread post at all???

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by enament

Honestly, you don't know who I am.

Your simplistic approach to fixing the world is absurd. I didn't say people are not influenced by television. I said there are more important things to be fixed.

You sound a bit like those who were afraid rock 'n roll would destroy civilization.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by enament
reply to post by Phage

Look around you everything the government wants to do is fed to the public through the media. Perceptions are altered with TV thats why add agencys hire psychologists to produce more effective ads to seduce the public.

I spoke to a person about TV before and said it brainwashed people his response was" I would know I was being brainwashed. His response proved my point.

Honestly knowing who you are Phage, I somewhat expected a more elaborate and intellectual response, followed by a intellectually stimulating good point, as I have seen from you in the past.

edit on 23-12-2012 by enament because: (no reason given)

It's been proven that watching TV alters brainwaves in the most disturbing of ways and even elicits addiction potential, including withdrawal symptoms similar to opiate addiction.

"The 'Mulholland' experiment in the early 70's wired ten kids to
electroencephalograph (EEG) machines (which measure brain wave activity)
and sat them down in front of their chosen favourite programmes. He
expected to see plenty of fast beta waves, which would indicate that they
were actively responding to something (as is produced when reading or
during conservation); instead all he could find were the slower alpha
waves of the kind found when a person is in a coma or put in a trance
where the subject is not interacting with the outside world at all."

www.corporations.org...
TV Alters Brainwaves (!)

"When you watch TV, brain activity switches from the left to the right hemisphere. In fact, experiments conducted by researcher Herbert Krugman showed that while viewers are watching television, the right hemisphere is twice as active as the left, a neurological anomaly. The crossover from left to right releases a surge of the body's natural opiates: endorphins, which include beta-endorphins and enkephalins. Endorphins are structurally identical to opium and its derivatives (morphine, codeine, heroin, etc.). Activities that release endorphins (also called opioid peptides) are usually habit-forming (we rarely call them addictive). These include cracking knuckles, strenuous exercise, and orgasm. External opiates act on the same receptor sites (opioid receptors) as endorphins, so there is little difference between the two.

In fact, strenuous exercise, which produces the nominal "runner's high"- a release of endorphins that flood the system, can be highly addictive, to the point where "addicts" who abruptly stop exercising experience opiate-withdrawal symptoms, namely migraine headaches. These migraines are caused by a dysfunction in opioid receptors, which are accustomed to the steady influx of endorphins.

Indeed, even casual television viewers experience such opiate-withdrawal symptoms if they stop watching TV for a prolonged period of time. An article from South Africa's Eastern Province Herald (October 1975) described two experiments in which people from various socio-economic milieus were asked to stop watching television. In one experiment, several families volunteered to turn off their TV's for just one month. The poorest family gave in after one week, and the others suffered from depression, saying they felt as though they had "lost a friend." In the other experiment, 182 West Germans agreed to kick their television viewing habit for a year, with the added bonus of payment. None could resist the urge longer than six months, and over time all of the participants showed the symptoms of opiate-withdrawal: increased anxiety, frustration, and depression."

www.familyresource.com...
Television: Opiate of the Masses

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by enament

Honestly, you don't know who I am.

Your simplistic approach to fixing the world is absurd. I didn't say people are not influenced by television. I said there are more important things to be fixed.

You sound a bit like those who were afraid rock 'n roll would destroy civilization.

I merely stated it would be a good start not the sole solution. I'm a little more complex than that.
Your statement "I have cable TV and I don't crave Mc Donalds" was misleading then.

And I only know you from what I have seen you type on ATS.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

What this world needs more than anything is for people to turn there TV's off and start paying attention to the real world around them and not the skewed portrayal of non reality as portrayed on television. (warning foul language in this vid)

and then you give us - a video

:-)

TV is not the problem - any more than books were the problem

Earlier you asked where are the hippies and free thinkers. It's such an interesting question - do you see them as some sort of saviors? Heroes?

Who were they then?

Free thinkers are in the eye of the beholder - and we each have our favorite flavor

It takes a village enament - and that includes the idiots

we all move forward together or not at all

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
reply to post by enament

What this world needs more than anything is for people to turn there TV's off and start paying attention to the real world around them and not the skewed portrayal of non reality as portrayed on television. (warning foul language in this vid)

and then you give us - a video

:-)

TV is not the problem - any more than books were the problem

Earlier you asked where are the hippies and free thinkers. It's such an interesting question - do you see them as some sort of saviors? Heroes?

Who were they then?

Free thinkers are in the eye of the beholder - and we each have our favorite flavor

It takes a village enament - and that includes the idiots

we all move forward together or not at all

Did you watch the video? Did you happen to notice that it is not corporate television (cable TV with corporate commercials). My general point is that most people were expecting a great change of some kind on the 21st of Dec,waiting for a superman if you will.When instead of waiting for someone else to change things the change starts at home.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

And yes Youtube is also a corporate entity you still have the choice of what you want to watch. Yes with TV you can still change the channel but each channel is programmed you don't choose the general continent on each channel.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
George Carlin gave some of the best of rants, in my opinion. Goodness bless his soul!

George Carlin - Saving the Planet

edit on 23-12-2012 by anjuna because: more George Carlin

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by anjuna
George Carlin gave some of the best of rants, in my opinion. Goodness bless his soul!

I still wonder today if he was killed off.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

None the less it would be a good start though. I haven't had cable TV in more than 2 years,and I don't crave Mc Donnalds as much any more,and other things as well.

I have 5 TVs and I hate McDonalds.....

I also record 90% of the stuff I watch so I see zero commercials.

So talking about how bad TV is...there I was one day in Afghanistan cruising around with my drone on a IR camera and it was an older camera that recorded heat as kind of a blob, not like today where we can see everything more clearly than in daytime, but I digress. There I was watching this blob on a hill that I was totally convinced it was a person...after hours of it not moving I was like WTH is it....hours more and all of a sudden it moved and walked away. It startled me when he moved with how long this guy just stood there... I then realized this is what people do in a country with no TV, so I don't think TVs are all that bad now compared to what we would do with out them...hehe

edit on 23-12-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Since the internet, TV for me is just background noise, like a nightlight is to a little kid.

Mmmm, can't wait until Whopper Wednesday!

It's not just TV, you cannot escape outside influence whatever that may be, you are a product of your surroundings.
To say it's mostly TV, to just focus on that is a bit simplistic.

Does TV create a terrorist?
Does TV create religious fundamentalism?
Does TV create hunger in Africa?
Does TV make people believe in mythology?
No, No, No, and NO!

Now let me dream about my corporate creation I will eat next Wednesday, and we will post again sometime soon.

Hey, is that a _____ , I need one of those!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

None the less it would be a good start though. I haven't had cable TV in more than 2 years,and I don't crave Mc Donnalds as much any more,and other things as well.

I have 5 TVs and I hate McDonalds.....

I also record 90% of the stuff I watch so I see zero commercials.

So talking about how bad TV is...there I was one day in Afghanistan cruising around with my drone on a IR camera and it was an older camera that recorded heat as kind of a blob, not like today where we can see everything more clearly than in daytime, but I digress. There I was watching this blob on a hill that I was totally convinced it was a person...after hours of it not moving I was like WTH is it....hours more and all of a sudden it moved and walked away. It startled me when he moved with how long this guy just stood there... I then realized this is what people do in a country with no TV, so I don't think TVs are all that bad now compared to what we would do with out them...hehe

edit on 23-12-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

I look at television as something that can be used for good or bad. Generally TV is used as a pacifier to keep the masses in check. Much the same way Romans had spectacles in the Colosseum to pacify the masses (to prevent revolt or an uprising).

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Since we're tossing out stats:

I haven't watched TV in several years and haven't eaten McDonald's in probably twice or thrice as many years.

I abhor GMO food and factory farmed CAFOs. I do, however, watch videos online, some are mainstream movies, others are alternative channels on YouTube, plus random videos I find on the Internet.

So I don't typically see any commercials but I don't think that's the point of the danger to the brain and mind (plus actions and behaviors) from TV (as seen from the evidence I posted about about altering brainwaves to a very "dull" state and also creating addiction potential (and with that, withdrawals and cravings). But I do see your point about the lesser of two evils. Goodness, what do you think humans would be doing if there weren't television?

ALSO: I believe television in general, and to a greater extend the new "mandatory" HD, has more to do with a light pulse rate from the actual television screen. Then there's also the SSSS (Silent Sound Spread Spectrum). I am naively hoping that watching on an LCD screen computer monitor, and video of such low quality, is enough to protect me from both of these things.
edit on 23-12-2012 by anjuna because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
Since the internet, TV for me is just background noise, like a nightlight is to a little kid.

Mmmm, can't wait until Whopper Wednesday!

It's not just TV, you cannot escape outside influence whatever that may be, you are a product of your surroundings.
To say it's mostly TV, to just focus on that is a bit simplistic.

Does TV create a terrorist?
Does TV create religious fundamentalism?
Does TV create hunger in Africa?
Does TV make people believe in mythology?
No, No, No, and NO!

Now let me dream about my corporate creation I will eat next Wednesday, and we will post again sometime soon.

Hey, is that a _____ , I need one of those!

I am not solely blaming TV for the ills of society. Phage pigeon holed me as having blamed TV solely for all society ills. I believe it to be a large part of the problem since society seems to get its ideas and opinions from it without forming there own opinions and not just the ones fed to them from TV.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by anjuna
Since we're tossing out stats:

I haven't watched TV in several years and haven't eaten McDonald's in probably twice or thrice as many years.

I abhor GMO food and factory farmed CAFOs. I do, however, watch videos online, some are mainstream movies, others are alternative channels on YouTube, plus random videos I find on the Internet.

So I don't typically see any commercials but I don't think that's the point of the danger to the brain and mind (plus actions and behaviors) from TV (as seen from the evidence I posted about about altering brainwaves to a very "dull" state and also creating addiction potential (and with that, withdrawals and cravings). But I do see your point about the lesser of two evils. Goodness, what do you think humans would be doing if there weren't television?

Probably playing family board games.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Generally TV is used as a pacifier to keep the masses in check. Much the same way Romans had spectacles in the Colosseum to pacify the masses (to prevent revolt or an uprising).

If the Romans had rejected the games and said "WTF is that?" instead, there would not have BEEN any games.
If a stupid show on TV would not draw an audience, the chances for it to stay on are zero.

Whatever you see is THERE because the masses demand it..the media *serves* the masses.

There would not be a lottery if everyone would say "WTF? Chances to win are 1:60.000.000...are you seriously thinking I'd buy a ticket?"

There wouldn't be tabloid papers and fringe sites (incl. ATS)...where many topics are "emotional" rather than informal....if no one would read those papers or go on those sites.

What I am saying is...always and always a lot of "you guys" are blaming the media or whatever for influencing....but its not the media (or the Roman cesars whatever) doing the influencing but the MASSES themselves!

Be it the Romans with their games, or some stupid TV show or tabloid paper...why blame them? Blame the people buying that stuff and watching that stuff.

edit on 23-12-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Hey, I like McDonalds, I like Burger King, I like pizza, I like home cooked meals, I like water, I like beer.
You are hungry you eat, and I am not going to not go to the burger clowns just because I feel that if I did I am a commercial patsy.

Ronald McDonald doesn't wield a machine gun, or drop bombs on BK, or people cooking their own burgers on the BBQ.

Where we go and eat is the least of our worries. Heck, buy some burgers and send them to Africa, evidence suggests they will still be as fresh looking as the day you bought them.

I will not stop eating fast food.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

Generally TV is used as a pacifier to keep the masses in check. Much the same way Romans had spectacles in the Colosseum to pacify the masses (to prevent revolt or an uprising).

If the Romans had rejected the games and said "WTF is that?" instead, there would not have BEEN any games.
If a stupid show on TV would not draw an audience, the chances for it to stay on are zero.

Whatever you see is THERE because the masses demand it..the media *serves* the masses.

There would not be a lottery if everyone would say "WTF? Chances to win are 1:60.000.000...are you seriously thinking I'd buy a ticket?"

There wouldn't be tabloid papers and fringe sites (incl. ATS)...where many topics are "emotional" rather than informal....if no one would read those papers or go on those sites.

What I am saying is...always and always a lot of "you guys" are blaming the media or whatever for influencing....but its not the media (or the Roman cesars whatever) doing the influencing but the MASSES themselves!

Be it the Romans with their games, or some stupid TV show or tabloid paper...why blame them? Blame the people buying that stuff and watching that stuff.

edit on 23-12-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

Before the age of television people interacted more,and there were more people out and about walking the streets. You just don't see that any more like you use to. My city back in the 50's use to have police directing the pedestrians because the sidewalks were full,and now we have double the population now and empty sidewalks.

And now today we have the Wii,Sony PlayStation and Xbox. You don't see kids out playing as much any more like you use to, the paths and trails in the woods are growing in now as kids just don't play outside any more like they use to. Its really sad because when I was a kid I left the house in the morning and didn't come home untill supper.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

Who doesn't enjoy a delicious juicy Big Mac special sauce on a sesame seed bun,or delicious flame broiled Whopper with fresh lettuce,onions and tomato. I'm just stating that in my personal life I've just noticed a sharp decline in my overall cravings for this delicious non-nutritious food since I no longer have cable TV thats all I meant.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
And who doesn't remember toy commercial jingles from when you were a kid?
Why is it that you can remember them so clearly when you cant even remember some of the songs you sung in school.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join