It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about making threads regarding crimes and suspects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I am curious about making threads about linking possible suspects in national/international crimes and how is it viewed by ATS? For instance if there is substantial evidence that is available to us the general public are we allowed to sleuth it up and connect dots? Is there a liability to ATS if someone was to post a name of a person that may or may not have something to do with that crime? Is there a line that is drawn anywhere, is this something that ATS has considered or had to deal with before?

I want to make sure moderator or ATS representative knows that I am not making any accusations, or saying I am suspicious or anything, we are talking about a hypothetical situation set in the future.

I can think of a few reasons ATS would be weary of this happening considering libel and such, would there ever be a reason to close a thread like this that wasn't due to libel law?

A second question I am just off topic curious about, do ATS mods sign any NDA's at all regarding things that are non proprietary website related stuff?
edit on 12/21/2012 by sputniksteve because: Terrible grammar in this post.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

Excellent question one I'm quite interested in myself.
Flagged

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Would really love an answer on this, myself.

Hey, you and I agree on something, OP!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Don't use my real name. I don't want people to come looking for me to get their property back...

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

we are talking about a hypothetical situation

Like say a conspiracy theory, then posting said conspiracy whereby in the post theorizing that a specific individual is responsible for said conspiracy?

I believe there are hundreds of thousands of threads on ATS doing that very same thing. It's all in how you word it...using words such as allegedly, theoretically, etc.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

I'm not representing the owners with this response....just explaining the basics as they are generally understood.

The T&Cs passage goes like this >>

User acknowledges and agree that TAN does not endorse any User Content and is not responsible or liable for any User Content, even though it may be unlawful, harassing, libelous, privacy invading, abusive, threatening, harmful, hateful, vulgar, obscene, and/or disruptive, or may infringe upon, misappropriate, or otherwise violate the intellectual property or other rights of another. User acknowledges that TAN does not pre-screen User Content, and has no obligation to do so, but that TAN and its designees will have the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to refuse, edit, move or remove any User Content that is posted on the Websites.
T&Cs - 5 - No endorsement...

^^^ That little lot places the responsibility of posting on the member. You can post what you choose to and ATS retains the right to remove it without the site being responsible for legal infringements or criminal actions.

The definition of LIBEL describes it this way >>

1) n. to publish in print (including pictures), writing or broadcast through radio, television or film, an untruth about another which will do harm to that person or his/her reputation, by tending to bring the target into ridicule, hatred, scorn or contempt of others. Libel is the written or broadcast form of defamation, distinguished from slander which is oral defamation.

In the ongoing pedo storm in the UK we've seen people on Twitter being held legally accountable for their tweets. In my opinion, there's been a clever shift within the legal profession that now defines internet posting as 'journalism.' This means everything we post belongs to us and someone could sue us privately for damages if it is damaging to their reputation.

If a member thinks they have a good case to point the finger at someone and aren't sure if a lawyer will take the shirt off their back >> contact ATS owners and admins (e-mail). Otherwise, you could contact any of the staff by PM and we'd run it up the flagpole and see if it flew. Personally, if I had great evidence of a serious crime I'd be letting the police know about it way before even considering posting it in public. It could prejudice a case or be flat wrong.

A second question I am just off topic curious about, do ATS mods sign any NDA's at all regarding things that are non proprietary website related stuff?

I haven't.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Thank you Kandinsky, that pretty much covers all my questions. I appreciate the reply.

join