It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA ready to approve Genetically Engineered Salmon

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by rickymouse

You're totally missing the point. Use your reading and comprehension skills and re read the thread. Thanks.

We're trying to have adult conversation. ,

ETA: Asian carp have nothing to do with genetic modification. SMH. N BTW, I live in the Lake Erie watershed, so yeah, I"m effected by Asian Carp but the topic at hand is GM fish. Thanks

edit on 22-12-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

Most of this thread, excluding your posts, is against the Salmon. You seem to be the odd ball out. Did you actually read the posts?
edit on 22-12-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MisterMaster

The nutritional value, including the chemicals recently found to be good for us, of farmed Salmon is less than wild. We evolved with the fish the way they naturally grow, eating worms and other fish and whatever else they eat. Changing their diet changes the chemistry of the food.

By Genetically engineering these fish to grow faster they could further mess up the compatibility with our bodies evolution to eat it without side effects. I cannot verify if this will occur because I have not seen any research posted on this exact GM fish. If I had access to that information I could possibly cross reference it with many databases I have found to see the possible problems that could occur. Immediate sickness is rarely seen with these changes, it takes a few years to cause problems. I'm not eating any of these till I see some evidence and do some studying out of the parameters of the existing evidence.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
How do they taste? That's the only question that'll matter to the piggish brainwashed consumers of the world.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by MisterMaster

FDA ready to approve Genetically Engineered Salmon

so you might not even know you’re eating it.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

What else do we not know we're eating?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Asian carp introduction has no relevance to GM salmon. Your "high IQ" should tell you that. Farm raised fish have been sold in stores for decades. Your hit "IQ" should have also informed you on that.

Asian carp are a high commodity in Asia, but aren't in comparison nutritionally wise as cold water fish, specifically omega fatty acids, such as salmon. Having a high IQ you should be well aware of that.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

We've been eating it for years The Tilapia you eat is farm reared, etc. There is nothing wrong.
This is just as bad as the 12/21/12 bruhaha

ETA: its 12/22/12 and we're still here

edit on 22-12-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Some times I don't know if I'm eating cheez-its or not. I'll wake up in the middle of the night with an empty box and a deep feeling of shame. It's a conspiracy.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

reply to post by Mugen

We've been eating it for years The Tilapia you eat is farm reared, etc. There is nothing wrong.

I don'y eat anything that swims all day. So i'm good?

reply to post by Mugen

Already hahaaa

Originally posted by Grifter42
Some times I don't know if I'm eating cheez-its or not. I'll wake up in the middle of the night with an empty box and a deep feeling of shame. It's a conspiracy.

edit on 12-22-12 by Mugen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
OMG, People, get informed and educated before making outlandish claims! You've all been eating GM fish since you were born unless you caught every single fish your self and ate it, Geesh. Everything frozen or "fresh" is %90 farm raised. You do the math. Even stalked fish are GM, they are eating from man, not nature, to grow faster. UGH,

SMDH

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mugen

reply to post by Mugen

I don'y eat anything that swims all day. So i'm good?

reply to post by Mugen

Already hahaaa

Originally posted by Grifter42

edit on 12-22-12 by Mugen because: (no reason

given)
[/quote

You're late! lol, lots of " i told you so" threads.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Where are you getting your information on sterilized fish?

Also injecting growth hormone from (never really explained) to make fish grow at a fast rate really is scary! Growth hormone from.. other fish?, pigs?, aborted human fetuses? We don't know, they didn't specify.

You are aware that the growth hormone they add to cattle to create more milk is causing girls in this country to grow breasts at the age of 9 and reach puberty prematurely?

If this doesn't concern you, you REALLY need to do a lot of research. There's a reason other countries have banned GM foods. It's still here because corporations hold our politicians' short hairs. Research this stuff before you blindly defend it.

Please read something before you speak out for this.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

So if it grows twice as fast and can be "harvested" sooner (didn't harvest used to mean plants?) that means it can be killed earlier, thus reducing its lifetime by 50%. That's a lot of fish years being lopped off to satisfy corporate interests and people's taste buds. .

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

You seem awfully against this post as a whole dude, calm down a bit will ya.

First...if the FDA is "on the verge of giving the okay for the sale of genetically engineered salmon" please tell me how we have already been eating such things? Not approved now means it wasnt approved earlier, which means noone anywhere has ever ingested a GE Salmon...lawfully.

Please provide links to viable sources which further this claim you make, or quit derailing my thread and harassing members who are interested.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Asian carp made it out of farms and into our waters. These biological weapons will also. If they grow twice as fast, it's highly likely they will eventually wipe out Salmon. I'm not calling these things salmon, because they're not. I'll call them RFE1 (reckless fish experiment 1.)

If they want to have them in indoor pens, not linked to any external waters, and people want to eat them, knowingly, then fine, go for it. It'll help natural fish stocks recover. But don't sneak them onto the plates of people who care, but don't know enough, and don't allow for any risk of introducing them into the outside environment.

Personally, if I don't know my fish is wild fish, I won't touch it. There's better things to eat than fish raised in a cesspool of toxic farm runoff, antibiotics, bacteria, and crowded in with other fish, inundated with the feces of all the others, with barely any room to move.

If it's $25/lb for real salmon, fine, I just won't eat it that often.

I'd like to point out as well - no labeling requirement does not mean that a food product can't be labeled. RGBH milk, for example, is not labeled as such, but all the milk produced without the added hormones tells you right on the carton. A box of crackers doesn't advertise "made with GMO corn, sprayed with DNA damaging pesticides!", but a box of organic crackers will tell you "no GMO. No Pesticides"

We truly need to be concerned (at least those who care) when they start not allowing natural foods to display that they're any different from the toxic carcinogens they want us eating. That's why " no labeling" doesn't bother me *personally*, though I wish the truth about bad foods did have to be advertised right on the box, along with a related "healthcare surcharge" to bring its cost up and pay for the additional health costs of those eating them. If less people ate processed, horrible foods, my health insurance premiums would go down - ours all would. Even those who have universal national healthcare - your taxes could go down, or money diverted to other things if the poisoned foods people eat weren't busy making evil corporations rich and people sick.

I decided years ago, that my list of most evil industries is led not by the oil companies, weapons manufacturers, etc,, but by GMO foods and their cousins the pharmeceutical corps.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Why not, better than people to dying of being hungry?
What if they escape and cross with standard classical ones?
Will they remain reproductive ability, for generations?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I am not sure how these salmon were created exactly, but I have worked with people involved with this group. If I remember correctly they incorporated a second growth hormone driven by a house keeping gene promotor? Something like B-actin??? Regardless of the specifics I have to state that GMO's although the intention is good may pose a threat to human health depending on the technology used and the genes involved. You know how growth hormones get into our diet through the dairy industry etc? Think of what happens when more of our food has increased levels of growth hormone because we design it that way, or even worse they start to use RNAi technology (possible awful issues here which may take generations to notice).

Plants are modified to produce their own pesticides which you then consume.... People say things like "but they are naturally occurring" well yes, but so is Ricin and Cyanide. It is not the same as selective breeding as some would have you think. Be careful of what you eat, the science behind GMO's is in its infancy, the testing done in the laboratory in regards to safety is unsatisfactory. The corporations which own the IP/patents are less concerned with public health and more concerned with making a dollar. This is not necessarily the fault of the scientists as they are trying to compete in an arena where public funding for research has been eroded and now they must turn down corporate avenues and become profitable to stay employed. Much government science is now partially externally funded. Its all about money and its getting worse every year.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Tilapia are farm reared but not GMO. There is a big difference.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
Well perhaps there are no conspiracies, 2012 seems to have failed. 9/11 seems to have failed. Perhaps GMO is next to fail. Maybe these salmon will be a good thing. They will grow bigger, faster, and they will feed more people, and generate more profit to keep our economy thriving.

The main problem with Genetic Engineering is what the genetic engineering is. In crops they genetically engineer pesticides, and that is the main problem. If GE was done in a safe, sane and conscious manner, it could be a good thing for humanity. As it is done now though......

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

If you want to get technical, corn (maize) was genetically modified centuries ago from grass. Soo, anything corn related that you eat.... you're being hypocritical in other words. Prove me wrong,.

What a loooong natural process of,well, natural selection and fitting in the ecosystem has to do with a rapid change forced through in the lab?
If you want to get technical,when new genes being introduced - all their expression in the organism and the full impact artificially modified species have on the ecosystem can only be seen in the long run. Not months or years. In my opinion - not even decades. There is no way to test its affects in the long run prior to releasing the technology and no safety net that can ensure removal of artificial modified species once something goes wrong.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

Farm raised fish notoriously escape into the wild populations, causing all kinds of problems... plus I'm guessing no manufacturer of these salmon will have to label them as such, so the consumer will never know.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join