It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA ready to approve Genetically Engineered Salmon

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

FDA ready to approve Genetically Engineered Salmon

www.foodandwaterwatch.org...

n

The biotechnology industry says it has genetically engineered a fish that grows at twice the normal rate, so it can get to market sooner and make more money, faster. But this dangerous lab experiment is all hype and full of downsides to consumers, salmon growers and the environment.

If approved, GE salmon would be the first “transgenic” animal allowed into our food supply. It’s also unlikely that it would have to be labeled, so you might not even know you’re eating it.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

edit on Mon Dec 31 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I apologize in advance that I only included a short snippet from the source, but it is awfully hard to properly do a proper post minust a computer...hence, the smartphone post.

Just broke a couple hours ago.

Thing that scares me is the FDA just relies on testing from the exact corporations petitioning for approval.

Since when do corporations get to be judge and jury? Oh...since forever.
And no labeling because of some loophole or wrong wording in policy!!?? I just wont eat any Salmon ever and neither will many when this gets out mainstream.
And who will suffer the most from this....mom and pop fisherman.

So sick of this crap. Will someone please start the ball rolling please! I cannot...Im a follower

Rights groups have dubbed the GE fish "Frankenfish"... seems fitting.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MisterMaster

I posted links...hmmm.

Heres a few:

www.huffingtonpost.com...
finance.yahoo.com...
www.forbes.com...

Or just google it and find your fave lol.
edit on Fri Dec 21 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed links

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Well perhaps there are no conspiracies, 2012 seems to have failed. 9/11 seems to have failed. Perhaps GMO is next to fail. Maybe these salmon will be a good thing. They will grow bigger, faster, and they will feed more people, and generate more profit to keep our economy thriving.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
This seems like a very dangerous and poorly-researched plan, to me. Also it could be a slippery slope into who-knows-what kind of animals they will want to mutate, and feed to our children, next.

It seems irresponsible of them to want to feed this to the public without knowing what it does to a human after 30-50 years of consumption. And what does it do to the offspring of the people that have been eating it?

www.salmonnation.com...

This experimental hatchery has been injecting growth hormone genes into fertilized salmonid eggs to produce fast growing salmon, trout and Arctic char.

"Purdue University researchers have found that releasing a transgenic fish to the wild could damage native populations even to the point of extinction."

Nice find, OP.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Sorry, i dont eat fish unless i catch and clean it.

use to eat sea food, love it, but with everything in the
oceans since the gulf mess and the reactor leaking,
i swore off any seafood.

This could be a good thing, and a bad thing, but i would
think long term studies would be required before something
like this could hit the shelf's for consumption.

Although it seems any more our FDA and govt is not interested
in long term studies, someone says "Look at this i got, its cool" and
the next thing you know its on the shelf's, or being injected.

Its a a time where each has to use their own brain and just avoid
things until enough time has passed and results are in.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Won't that be special, the very thing you need in salmon will be taken away, and wasn't this what they put the cockroach or insect DNA in, and rats with the pork???? Rings a bell from a past thread and article.

Only going to buy from Natives from now on, though Fukushima has put a real damper on seafood for us.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
GM and farm raised fish is very old news.

Just saying, We (everybody) has been eating it for decades. Nothing new, it's just getting more attention now.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
The scientists aren't going to be satisfied until they screw up nature royally. What science had the dumb idea of bringing Asian carp into this country to clean up polluted ponds? Now Salmon that grow super fast. These mad scientists need to be gotten rid of before they destroy everything. Don't they realize man always makes mistakes, there is no way to keep these fish from getting into nature and destroy the ecosystem.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
The scientists aren't going to be satisfied until they screw up nature royally. What science had the dumb idea of bringing Asian carp into this country to clean up polluted ponds? Now Salmon that grow super fast. These mad scientists need to be gotten rid of before they destroy everything. Don't they realize man always makes mistakes, there is no way to keep these fish from getting into nature and destroy the ecosystem.

Wrong, they sterilize the fish so their natural urges for reproducing go towards eating, making bigger fish. This has been done for decades! And now they use the dna of the sterilzed fish to produce fish that do nothing but want to eat = bigger fish.

stop being a fear monger.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
They've been doing this type of thing for over 20 years, why now do you make bruhaha about it? Honest question.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
If you want to get technical, corn (maize) was genetically modified centuries ago from grass. Soo, anything corn related that you eat.... you're being hypocritical in other words. Prove me wrong,.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

The asian carp weren't introduced on purpose! Please do some research before asserting your knowledge and false propaganda.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

So the Asian carp that are causing a lot of concern with the Ecosystem of the great lakes is fear mongering. I trust their sterilization methods like I trust a condom. Works most of the time.

When they planted the sterile fish here in Lake Superior, they were just creating a business. Plant real fish that can lay eggs and you don't have to keep buying engineered fish. Our country is going belly up from following these kind of scam artists.
edit on 22-12-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

You're totally missing the point. Use your reading and comprehension skills and re read the thread. Thanks.

We're trying to have adult conversation. ,

ETA: Asian carp have nothing to do with genetic modification. SMH. N BTW, I live in the Lake Erie watershed, so yeah, I"m effected by Asian Carp but the topic at hand is GM fish. Thanks

edit on 22-12-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Read what I added to the last post. Shows you what I feel is going on.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

The Asian carp were introduced with the blessing of both by the fish and wildlife service and the DNR by private organizations to clean up pollution. They got into the Mississippi river from some flooding a while back. I have read a lot of articles on this over the years and have read everything on the fish planted in the great lakes I could find over the last forty or so years.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Im a pescatarian, and I will now be adding another additional gmo food to keep out of my diet.

That's just great!!!!

Next thing you know, these bastards are going to genetically modify air and water!!!

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Invasive species has nothing to do with genetically modified fish. Period. Prove me wrong and I'll stand corrected. I know Asian carp are an invasive species and hindrance but it holds no bearing on genetically modified fish. Prove me wrong. Other wise you are trolling.

ETA: remember zebra mussels and gobeys were a threat, well thanks to them Lake Erie is the Greatest Small mouth Bass, Yellow perch and Walleye fisherie in the world. Not to Mention the Steelhead and Lake Run Brown trout fishing rivals that of anywhere in the world.

Prove me wrong, thanks.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimish

The asian carp weren't introduced on purpose! Please do some research before asserting your knowledge and false propaganda.

With the exception of one case all were approved and deemed safe. To complain about it now is stupid, the problem needs to be fixed. The Eco-system is fragile, people don't think.

Means of Introduction: Bighead carp were first imported into the United States in 1972 by a private fish farmer in Arkansas who wanted to use them in combination with other phytophagous fishes to improve water quality and increase fish production in culture ponds. In 1974 the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission and Auburn University, Alabama, obtained stock to assess their potential benefits and impacts (Jennings 1988). The species first began to appear in open waters, the Ohio and Mississippi rivers, in the early 1980s, likely as a result of escapes from aquaculture facilities (Jennings 1988). In April 1994, several thousand bighead carp, along with a few black carp Mylopharyngodon piceus, escaped into the Osage River, Missouri, when high water flooded hatchery ponds at an aquaculture facility near Lake of the Ozarks (Anonymous 1994b). Fish that escaped into the Missouri River have increased and spread, since 1990, into the lower Kansas River of Kansas, and elsewhere (Cross and Collins 1995). The species may have dispersed into Oklahoma waters from fish illegally brought into southeast Kansas by a commercial fish farmer in 1988 (Pigg et al. 1993). According to Pigg et al. (1997), collections in the Grand River of Oklahoma since 1991 indicate a gradual downstream dispersal. The species was illegally stocked along with grass carp in one or a few ponds in California; these were brought into the state by a commercial aquaculturist. The live fish were reportedly transported in a concealed compartment under a load of black bass in the fall of 1989 from a fish grower in Oklahoma or Arkansas (Dill and Cordone 1997). The species was illegally stocked in Cherry Creek Reservoir, Colorado (P. Walker, personal communication).nas.er.usgs.gov...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join