12-21-12 and the sun

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by lightmeup04

We have been hit by a number of CMEs this cycle.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yes we have....but how many compared to the far side activity? You can say for certain that the sun spots have not been more active while facing away from earth?

Lightmeup04

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

You can say for certain that the sun spots have not been more active while facing away from earth?

Pretty hard to do since there aren't any instruments capable of monitoring it as well as the near side. But go ahead and speculate that that is the case if you wish. You think solar activity is avoiding the Earth as it revolves around the Sun and the Sun rotates?
edit on 12/21/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Speculate?? Sure I can speculate just as much as you can about the sun. Like I said, from my observations and what we do have to look at. It seems as though activity has been higher than when the same sun spot is facing earth. It is as easy as this...hey look a huge flare or cme facing away from earth. Then the same numbered sun spot faces earth and does absolutely nothing. Am I missing something? Is the sun is not being observed from just about every angle? You can go ahead and speculate that the sun is random and you know that there is not more activity from a sun spot facing away from earth than when facing. Just an observation from what data is available. So you do think that all we can detect is flares and Cmes facing earth?

Lightmeup04

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

So you do think that all we can detect is flares and Cmes facing earth?
No. We can detect strong flares and we can detect CMEs on the far side.

Please present statistical evidence to back up your impressions.
It could very well be true, but so what? Is it statistically significant?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well statistically speaking....I am not great with the statistics. I am better at observations and have a prety solid memory. Does more activity on the far side mean anything? Not really saying it does. We dont know anything about the sun. But to say that their is no significants to more activity from a sun spot on the far side facing away from earth is just speculation. By the way....what is the degree at which we are not able to view the sun. Is there not a degree at which we can not view because of the positioning of our instruments?

Lightmeup04

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheldonCooper
Isn't the Solar Maximum in 2013, perhaps it's just warming up a little.........
2nd line

It certainly warmed up at times in 2011 and 2012 but has recently mostly been quiet.

The current sunspots are nothing too interesting. These things can turn into whatever they please when they please, but there have been no real significant flares as of late at all really. I suggest these links for investigating the magnetic polarity of sunspots as they pop up:

Solar Terrestrial Activity Report - SDO

The current CMEs are just babies so I don't see the point of this thread being under 2012.
edit on 21/12/12 by murkraz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

So you do think that all we can detect is flares and Cmes facing earth?
No. We can detect strong flares and we can detect CMEs on the far side.

Please present statistical evidence to back up your impressions.
It could very well be true, but so what? Is it statistically significant?

Your last question is the question I think you are being asked.I for one really listen to your answers.So is this statistically signifcant?
edit on 21-12-2012 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

I am better at observations and have a prety solid memory.
That's the problem. Memory and the various mental filters it involves.

How do these numbers jibe with your memory. Recorded data since 10/1/12 for the frontside of the Sun:
There have been 20 M class flares and 1 X class flare recorded.
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

There have been over 200 CMEs recorded by LASCO.
sidc.oma.be...

The trouble is these statistics aren't readily available for the farside because there are no instruments with which to classify flares. I can't find any database for far side CMEs.
edit on 12/22/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Sun Goes Red Giant 23 December 2012?

paneandov2012.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by anjuna

At this high rate of spin the black hole's projected gravitational field is no longer spherical but rather flattens out to form a massive yet extremely thin spinning disk
paneandov2012.com...
False.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join