It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12-21-12 and the sun

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I'm rather surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

The far side of the sun has spouted off what looks to be like 6 simultaneous CME Eruptions late on the 20th into the 21st.

SpaceWeather.com

Perhaps the sun is joining in on the celebration as well

Right on time for the 21'st, considering its been rather flat lined and quiet lately.
edit on 21-12-2012 by Pegasus2000 because: Added content

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Pegasus2000

heres the clip, lets see what will happen when it turns towards us....................

stereo.ssl.berkeley.edu...

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Several regions on the farside showing up in EUVI. The first will be coming around the corner in about three or four days.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
We'll see if that region ramps up with more activity, or fizzles out before coming around again
Anything to keep us on our toes

Would have been fitting if it were earth directed.
Kidding of course.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Its the alignment that caused this energy outburst, so far sun has been quiet, almost reaching to solar max , but so far its struggling to be active , i did notice this sudden outburst of flares preety intresting .

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Just out of curiosity, and not that i am saying i want it to happen, because i don't. how do we always get lucky enough for the nasty stuff to shoot off whilst facing away from the earth? surely some of you university types with your science have a theory on this, right?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by storm2012

Its the alignment that caused this energy outburst

What alignment?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by wondermost

how do we always get lucky enough for the nasty stuff to shoot off whilst facing away from the earth?
We don't. We've been hit by a number of CMEs this cycle.

edit on 12/21/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

fair enough! i'm sure it would be bad news if we were facing this kind of a release, wouldnt it? serious question.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by wondermost

We get blasted alot, and in terms of our planets age, actually quite often. Events like Carrington just do not happen often in relation to our own lifespans. The difference now is that our society is dependent on technology which is vulnerable to this stuff.

This Solar max is a weak one so even at peak next year we should still not see much.

Peace

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Is this something we should be worried about phage or anyone else who has the knowledge to answer this question

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

edit on 21-12-2012 by Radec because: double post

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Radec

It's worth keeping an eye on it. Not much to worry about at this point.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The other night on Coast to Coast AM (Dec 19 2012 show), a gentleman called in and identified himself as Robert and that he works for a quasi-governmental agency in Houston, TX thats responsible for researching solar activity.

One of the scientists at this agency recently published a report of the upcoming solar activity expected over the next few weeks.

Supposedly, a handful of men from another gov agency (I get that they didn't give them much information on what branch or 3-letter agency they were from) debriefed them. At the end of the debrief, they were warned that by threat of lawsuit, getting shut down, and losing all gov / federal funding, that they will not reveal the negative information from the report to the media or any news outlets.

The negative information they are worried about:

The report shows that within the next 3 to 5 days (the count starts on Dec 19th, 2012), there will be much more solar activity than usual. In fact, they are expecting the CME's to exceed the Carrington Event level 100 fold....

Robert stated that there was a 60% to 70% chance of that actually reaching that level, but for sure to expect much higher than normal solar activity over the next 3 to 5 days.

Robert suggested that if it gets as bad as they think it will, any satellites higher than 250 miles will be taken out completely. Anything between LEO and GEO will be affected for sure.

If you wish to listen to it yourself, check YouTube for the Dec 19, 2012 Coast to Coast AM show.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ozarkdeathstar

I like listening to Coast to Coast, so I might watch it, but I'm not going to watch a 146 minute clip. Mind telling us what part?

And second, how in the hell can they forecast a Carrington event (100x stronger)? There is no way they could keep the lid on something like that. Every country that has satellites would be scrambling like crazy to re-position them. Just doesn't seem possible.

Peace
edit on 21-12-2012 by lasertaglover because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Robert calls in at 10 minutes and 58 seconds into the 4th hour. Granted, that's based on using the actual MP3's available to a subscriber of C2CAM.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ozarkdeathstar

How often are these anonymous callers on C2C right?
Robert is full of it.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...
edit on 12/21/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I agree, the caller is full of something. Just listened, and yeah.

Peace

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
We have not been able to study the sun before lite like we have in the past ten or so years. To suggest that any of us know what exactly is going on is laughable on its own. Although after watching countless days of what's available for us to study.....seems to me these sun spots are unleashing or more active on the opposite side. Once turning towards earth, they are nice and quiet. It would be intersting to see the activity on the far side, compared to when these sun spots are facing earth. The information should be there...I am not great with putting the statistics together. Someone with more expertise might want to take a gander. But looking alone day in and day out....just seems odd more spots have fizzled than produced while facing earth.

Lightmeup04

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Isn't the Solar Maximum in 2013, perhaps it's just warming up a little.........
2nd line

top topics

<<   2 >>

join