It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bulletproof kids, armed techers, armed security or ban all guns?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
There are bullet proof backpacks available for kids now and sales went it up, unsupprisingly.

Armed teachers, with cases of teachers abusing their pupils would it be wise to arm them?

Armed security guards and checkpoints in every school?

Attempt to ban guns against the 2nd amendment?

I believe theres just simply are too many guns in the USA now, both illegal and legal. People will always be able to get a gun if they try, and unlike the war on drugs, guns arnt "consumed", once you have one you have it for life so even if banning all gun ownership was even an option criminals would be better armed than law abiding folks - thats right out (and against the 2nd amendment).

Im so confused as to the right course of action but you also cant do nothing about massacres of the USA youth and degradation of the school system.

Is there actually a right thing to do, or a combination of things to do? or perhaps even nothing at all? Im just so lost with all the media coverage from every angle - or is the hidden plan to make SURE everyones confused about it all.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The answer is armed and trained school personnel who are paid at a higher rate for completing the proper training courses and being brave and bold enough to stand up to the challenge should they ever have to face it.

edit on 21-12-2012 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
The answer is armed and trained school personnel who are paid at a higher rate for completely the proper training courses and being brave and bold enough to stand up to the challenge should they ever have to face it.

I agree with this.

Gun bans only serve to keep people as defenceless as sheep. People with murderous intent will find a way to get a gun, regardless of any gun ban. This also includes corrupt governments having almost no resistance.
edit on 21/12/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Lets see. Of the four only three are actually feasible. One is not.

Pretty obvious.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Well...
Let's put on the bullet proof west's, and kick the ass back. :-)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
what about a simply very secure school, perhaps like foreign embassy security/defenses, secure but not intimidating. No guns inside at all, gates locked and a guard outside, once all the kids are inside safe.

even a highly trained security guard with a weapon or a teacher can go crazy one day, look at the TSA with the sheer number needed nutters that abuse power or have mental issues get through the system.

you dont get out an ink stain with more ink.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I'm leaning on this old crutch:
Banning all guns does not mean all guns will magically disappear. So therefore the sensible option is to arm the people we entrust our children with. As crazy as that sounds.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Given there's roughly 100,000 schools in the USA and with probably a minimum of 3-4 security guards per school so we require up to half a million trained guards and what are the chances of finding that many people who are trained and will keep up the on going training required and lets not forget who's going to pay for them?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
what about a simply very secure school, perhaps like foreign embassy security/defenses, secure but not intimidating. No guns inside at all, gates locked and a guard outside, once all the kids are inside safe.

even a highly trained security guard with a weapon or a teacher can go crazy one day, look at the TSA with the sheer number needed nutters that abuse power or have mental issues get through the system.

you dont get out an ink stain with more ink.

A secure embassy/consulate place?
Like the American Consulate in Bengahzi?
Yeah... that'll do it...

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomten

A secure embassy/consulate place?
Like the American Consulate in Bengahzi?
Yeah... that'll do it...

If an angry heavily armed mob launches a coordinated attack on a school in the US let me know.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

i was just about to reply with this exact thing about American Consulate in Bengahzi, one guy with a few hand guns or assault rifles would have not got far what so ever.

But clearly you get my point, it doesn't have to be or look like a prison to be secure enough to stop one or two armed people. Just not sure putting more guns inside schools is the way forward at all.

edit on 21-12-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
They should have an armed security guard at the front entrance in an office and, the only way to enter the school would be through that office. All doors could maybe have a key-less entry where teachers would have to enter a code to get in. Obviously you guys have to do something to protect your children. Whether they take your guns away or not, the bad guys will always be able to get them regardless.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
There are times to fight fire with fire.

There are times to fight fire with water.

The time to prevent a fire from starting is always.

To claim that none of the above are possible or a good idea reduces the debate to idealogical nonsense.

We need more secure schools.
We need more easily available resources for parents of mentally ill children.
We need to examine the causes of mental illness that lead to these murders.
We need to examine the availability of weapons to the mentally ill.

It’s worth noting that Columbine High School had an armed guard, “community resource officer” on duty the day that two students shot 12 of their peers and one teacher.

It's also worth noting that roughly 1/3rd of public schools already have armed guards and there is little research showing it makes the school "more safe".

An armed guard does effect how "safe" students feel, and ironically they feel less "secure" when an armed guard is present and we know that feeling of insecurity impacts children scoially and academically.

All thing worth considering.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Any developments used to refine the clothing or backpacks used to shield children as popular accessories to go along with their Ipads or Ereaders could be used to further the defense industry for soldiers. Revenue from commercially available product lines could flow more directly to R&D and competition could fuel a market. Armed teachers would have to be certified by law enforcement agencies but doing so would drastically increase the concealed carry market. Concealed weapons are smaller, lighter, and have a lower capacity than regular handguns and less over penetration problems than rifles. Concealed carry weapons tend to have the opposite features of a black rifle and even if some teacher were to lose it and commit mass murder, the number of people killed would likely be less based on the facts of shorter range, weaker bullets, less accuracy, and lower magazine capacity.

The alternative is a serious gun ban in a period where distrust of the current regime is at an all time high. This kind of activity could lead to a series of Ruby Ridge/Waco style massacres that would make the combined total of school shootings over the last 2 centuries look like a drop in the bucket. Additionally, criminal activities tend to rise in proportion to the ratio of disarmament. Japan is an exception because they have a cultural history of obedience to the ruling power and multiple historical periods of weapons confiscations. The Americans, unlike the Europeans and Pacific Rim members do not have a similar cultural history. They never experienced a sword hunt, a nuclear attack, or life as a massive penal colony. They never felt honor or filial piety for sacrificing themselves in service to an Emperor. The Reality of American nationalism is quite the opposite - it is founded upon rebellion, taking up arms, and unlike the failed peasant revolts in Europe, it is a success story. Whereas Serfdom and Peasantry are ingrained in the bulk of the majority of foreign cultures, with swords and bows, sticks and stones, the American history is dominated by the story and struggle for freedom, of muskets, revolvers, Gatling guns, and rifles.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
First I would educate the teachers about how to handle such emergency situations. Reinforce the windows and doors of the classrooms. Equip the teachers with a panic button that locks the door at the first sign of danger and sends a signal to other teachers about a possible threat and to lock their doors. I would make it mandatory to keep the doors closed. Having doors with some type of key card entrance to get in and the handle on the inside of the class. When I went to school we had sort of walk in closets in the back of the room. I'm not sure if they are still around. Reinforce the closets in the back of the classrooms so that the children and teachers can hide in them until such danger passes. It would be like a make shift panic room. While they are at it make them fire resistant just in case.

Sure it would cost money but it is easier than taking away all the guns or hiring armed guards to patrol the school. It also creates construction jobs. I'm sorry but I'd rather have my children protected instead of the school supplying IPads to each of the students.
edit on 21-12-2012 by DetectiveT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

You're right.

Let's take China's lead and start banning kids.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
These are all band aids, banning guns, arming teachers, fortifying schools. These are temporary at best. A lasting solution would be teach our children compassion and empathy. Stop glorifying violence. Spend less time consuming goods and more time building strong families and communities.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I vote learning from the private educational system in this country.

Never heard of a mass shooting in a private school.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

That would be too expensive wouldn't it? Most people wouldn't be able to afford it, unless your gov would somehow subsidies low-income families.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SiglenDyn
reply to post by neo96

That would be too expensive wouldn't it? Most people wouldn't be able to afford it, unless your gov would somehow subsidies low-income families.

Did not say send them to private school but yeah I think a lot of parents should be looking in to it, considering they are safer and those who come from them are more successful.

Now as to the cost of it between teachers getting paid more than they should be, property taxes that fund schools, then the federal subsidies, and then the lotteries.;

Seems to me there is plenty of money that is the problem of throwing money at problems instead of focusing on quality instead of quanity.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join