It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA wants armed guards in schools

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

FYI, mods have stated on many occasions, that one liners are fine in certain cases. Sometimes one line, or even one word is adequate. Like when someone makes a suggestion, and I answer with "no thanks". Mods are not MIA, there are 10 online right now.

City people are so dense, they think the world just revolves around them, they think because they fell for the indoctrination of relying on others to do everything for them, that everyone else should do the same. Screw that, I don't rely on other for my protection, we don't rely on others to protect our community. We don't need city people for anything, especially not advice on how we should be living. City people can't live without us though. Who do you think grows the veggies, who do you think rears, raises, butchers and packages the meat? I can go on, but I think I made my point.
edit on Sun, 23 Dec 2012 08:14:35 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krusty the Klown

Originally posted by grayghost
OMG these people that want to ban guns just grip my hind end.
The only way to stop things like this from happening is for society to change all their values.

You mean change to not valuing a gun as the only solution?

And by that i mean every single sole on this planet.

So you're saying every person on the planet should carry a gun?

The only way to stop a rat is call the rat killer.
( Rooster Cogburn )

Yeah, that person never actually existed.....its fiction. Why don't you try something that Abe Lincoln said? He was your greatest president wasn't he?

1.What i mean is this.If the teachers had been armed the loss of life would have been greatly reduced or completely avoided.

2.No i mean if society would change all their values. Like respect life of innocent people.
This world has been infected by the gang mentality.The people that do these thing do not value
a human life.

3.Just so you know Abe Lincoln cause the most loss of human life in American history.
You have heard of the American civil war right.

As for Rooster Cogburn he only killed the bad guys just like Harry Callahan.The point here is the good guy stopped the bad guy with swift and divine retribution.
edit on 23-12-2012 by grayghost because: Add to post.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Looking at this whole thing, I get angry. Law abiding American gun owners getting attacked for defending their rights. Why do we have to justify our rights? Especially to people from outside the USA. If you live in England, Austrailia, or any other country, you have your own laws, that quite honestly I don't care about. To those that think guns are bad, don't have them. To those that think guns are good, be safe with them. To those that want to classify all guns as assault weapons, maybe you need to be educated on the subject. I for one will keep my guns, I have served my country, and it's my right. Guns exist in every country, regardless if they are banned or not. When everyone in the world hands over all guns, I will be more than happy to follow. Until then guns will stay. By the way, I do not think everyone should have guns. Because not everyone is responsible enough. I would say most in the country have the proper education on guns. But alot in the city do not.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

And who do you think builds the houses, roads, and works on your cars. That would be us country boys and girls. City people do provide some things. Just not the stuff you need to live. Country folk can be entirely self sufficient, city people cannot,
edit on 23-12-2012 by Fireman205253 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tecumte
Until a true cause (s) can be determined for the problem of violence only bandaide solutions will be offered.

I agree armed guards are a band-aid and not the solution. We had few options in Gary, IN. I'm glad the posters on this board weren't the ones deciding for us. Having LE in school was a no-brainer for our parents.

Addressing the causes of violence and fixing the problems is going to take very deep pockets and more time than our children can afford right now.

Until we come up with something better than winging it and hoping for the best, I'm all for having whatever protection is needed. Let the communities/parents/kids decide. Maybe your town wouldn't need it but the residents of Gary felt otherwise. Not too many armed grown men would've walked our halls. Like it or not LE was a beacon of hope/safety for us.

It's a horrible way to live but I'm alive and I never got raped at school. Until recently most of you couldn't relate to living that way but violence is spreading. It's reaching into neighborhoods that have never experienced that degree of violence before. People will over/under react they really won't know what to do. Doing nothing and just waiting around for kids to be raped/killed wasn't acceptable for the residents of Gary.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt
Here are a couple of thoughts, that I'm working on creating their own threads for...

1) The rediculous stereo-types associated with gun owners.

And, at the risk of seeming too insensitive:

2) Where are the "statistics" showing how many of the annual U.S. "gun murders" involve either the shooter with a criminal record before the shooting, or that BOTH shooter and "victim" have priors?????

This might be an interesting revelation into the percentile of who exactly we are supposed to be mourning, and wishing were still alive.

Star for you.

Waiting to see those threads come up. Hopefully soon.

Here is the first one...And, by the way, thanks for the link...

Discussion: The ridiculous stereotypes leveled at guns and gun owners & where they come from...

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

FYI, mods have stated on many occasions, that one liners are fine in certain cases. Sometimes one line, or even one word is adequate. Like when someone makes a suggestion, and I answer with "no thanks". Mods are not MIA, there are 10 online right now.

City people are so dense, they think the world just revolves around them, they think because they fell for the indoctrination of relying on others to do everything for them, that everyone else should do the same. Screw that, I don't rely on other for my protection, we don't rely on others to protect our community. We don't need city people for anything, especially not advice on how we should be living. City people can't live without us though. Who do you think grows the veggies, who do you think rears, raises, butchers and packages the meat? I can go on, but I think I made my point.
edit on Sun, 23 Dec 2012 08:14:35 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

Excuse me. We don't need you ignorant hill billies either. And clearly you *are* ignorant because you don't do jack splat. You allowed Big Agra to take over your farms out of your own greed and gullibility, and the same goes for your shops and Walmart and everything else.

Don't forget - it was Urban Liberals who brought you electricity. Got a problem with that? Best get off the net then.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
When did this thread get into location bashing? And what does it have to do with anything?

Guys this is simple, have the people in the school district have a vote if they want cops in their schools. Majority wins...like it should. Personally I like the idea, worked in my town, kids were happy,parents were happy. Yes it doesnt fix whats" wrong" with society but while all the smart people are figuring it out, kids will be safer that no protection at all.

Bill

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zinky

City people are so dense, they think the world just revolves around them

Excuse me. We don't need you ignorant hill billies either.

Children, children, stop that fussing now. I have the luxury of living in a small agricultural community an hour's drive from a major city. I get to enjoy what both have to offer, and they both enrich my soul. Y'all need to get out more, because without each other, you are both diminished.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

NRA wants armed guards in schools

www.reuters.com

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," said Wayne LaPierre, chief executive of the National Rifle Association, noting that banks and airports are patrolled by armed guards, while schools typically are not.

His remarks - in which he charged that the news media and violent video games shared blame for the second-deadliest school shooting in U.S. history - were twice interrupted by protesters who unfurled signs and shouted "stop the killing."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.usatoday.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NRA Press Conference Live Stream Beginning at 10:45 EST

American freedom and opportunity is the envy of the world; our situation with immigration attests to that.
Our problem starts with alot of the public

Tend to value what's popular, instead of what's right

Involve government where it doesn't belong

Look too often for a government solution to private matters

Create dependency on government programs

Trade our rights and freedoms with the unrealistic expectations of safety.

Government is not our Baby setter.
Im a Gun owner i dont care what NRA has to say.
Guns in schools is not the NRA job.
I thank it was all just a show untill Daddy Obama can get out of the Ocean,
& tell us all how we can be safe,& what we have to eat,
and what we should do about our ever dwindling personal liberty and general well being.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Zinky

Yeah you clearly have no idea what you are talking about....... The only farms I have ever seen "taken over" by anyone, was the power company. A few big farms rent some of their land out to them to put windmills on, they get rent and free electricity out of that deal. It's not like they were dumb enough to rent out the whole thing, so they are still growing or raising livestock like they did before. That was in NY. Here, plenty of working farms as well. Freerange farming, not that factory farming crap either.

I would rather not bother with city lemmings at all, but all the crap federal gun laws that are made to babysit you city babies that can't seem to go a day without violence, effect us that don't seem to have that problem. If you kept your little feelgood gun laws local, we wouldn't have a problem with it, be as "gun free" as you dare, doesn't seem to stop violence any, but gives the illusion that you are a bit safer.
edit on Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:30:13 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok

reply to post by BigfootNZ

Because hollowpoints expand on impact, they don't travel through the target, maybe hit an unintended person behind them.

Maybe you don't mind letting some lowlife walk all over you and take what you earned, that is your choice I guess. I sweat and bleed for every cent I make, no way I am just handing it over to some scumbag.

I live in good old Britain and guess what I dont have a gun and I have never had roveing bands of theifs stealing my stuff every other week.

Well I guess it's just too bad for the over 1 million people in Britain who ARE robbed every year. As long as your stuff is safe who cares about them right?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Zinky

Come on now there is no need to call people hillbilly. In case you didn’t know hillbillies mine the coal for those plants and down south us rednecks do just fine without urban liberals. Besides haven’t you ever seen Rocket City Rednecks we set up our own power supply we have no need of your newfangled technology.
Because a country boy can survive.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by madenusa
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Haven't we had enough preventive laws and regulation of our rights? I think we have.
Help others defend their natural human rights, even when none of yours are at risk.
It's just a matter of time before government turns its focus on you.
It's then you'll need others to return the favor and support the rights that you hold dear.

Of what preventative laws do you speak, and why would you think I supported such? I am talking about allowing people to carry a gun, that work in schools, so they could defend themselves and their students? Not sure what you are talking about...

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
My damn dog is a husky and I had my car broken into right in my drive way, you think she would bark? No...5k later it was back to normal.

Well that was a wakeup call to me. The cops said, "ya these guys have hit 40 plus houses in the last few months" Well I didn't know that before, would have been nice if they put out a warning.

That took me down the path that when seconds count cops are minutes away, or not there at all, but to fill out the aftermath paperwork. There is only one person who really cares about you and your family, and that is you. When you go to the emergency room you are a slab of meat they will work on, and you are just a report to a cop.

That kind of bothers me not i9n a way that they should in some way care, but in a way that maybe I don't care enough, so that is why I got the latest alarms, setup personal neighborhood watch where we look out for each other, have a select group of friends (all of us ex mil) that can and will come together in a time of great need, AND YES HAVE MY GUNS...and know how to use them extremely well, and my family is not bad either.

Well, not all dogs will bark at an intruder, or attack; some breeds are better than others. That's messed up, them not warning people of the problem, and, I would guess, not even add patrols to try and catch them in the act! Alarms are great, if you can afford them. Not in our budget, at this point. Neighborhood watch is a great thing, if you can get people involved! People knowing who belongs there, and what is out of the ordinary, can help prevent a lot of crime. Having guns and knowing how to use them means being sensible and prepared, not bad! You can just bet, if TSHTF, all those anti-gun types would be more than willing to take one from someone else, to cover their own rears. Might not be able to, but they would start to see the light.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ
*snip*
If someone broke into my house first thing id do is give em my money and then ask em to leave in a calm rational manner, after all thats more than likely the reason their doing it, ie drug habit or some other reason they need cash. If they simply want to hurt my family which is far rarer sort of crime thats when the gloves would come off... thing is in my country where getting guns is tricky, most home invasions done by petty crims involve people with knives, in which case id simply pull the Shillelagh i keep behind my bed out and brain the twit or break both his arms with it. Crims with knives tend to be cowards also...*snip*

In this country, home invasions are perpetrated by people with guns, and they tend to hurt those inside. Even burglars often attack those inside, if they enter a home that isn't empty. Criminals can ALWAYS get a gun here if they want one. The average citizen can legally own a gun here, too, according to our Constitution, and can thus defend themselves.

Some drug user coming into your home, for your money, isn't likely to just take it and go. Many of those drugs cause violent behavior, and drug addicts commit violent crimes all the time. Yet you think you could just hand them money, and they would leave? If you could not get a gun, why would you want to see if they were feeling nice about breaking in, instead of pulling a sword straight away, and either chasing them off, or taking them down, if they chose to fight? Assuming that any random criminal will be a coward doesn't make sense to me. Some might be, and some might be totally cool with cutting someone to pieces.

*snip*
As for my toy and compensating comments I was meaning handguns are to me the gun equivalent of toys, nothing but something to show off with like some wannabe law enforcer and an assault riffle or some other military weapon is so over the top it borders on compensating for something. To me as someone that doesnt like guns, the only legitimate gun is a hunting rifle in my mind, it serves a good purpose, which isnt home defence and is only really needed for a small number of lifestyles.

Well, if there aren't any guns in the country, that would make sense. There are guns here, and we have terrorists coming in, undetected, and planning various things as well. As far as types of guns owned, that's another issue. There is a lot of talk of so-called "assault weapons", but what, exactly, makes an "assault weapon"? That's simply a term used by politicians that don't want citizens to be able to defend themselves. The entire reason we have a right to carry weapons is so that we could defend against a government that became out of control. So, they apply definitions to certain weapons, and they talk as though a certain number of guns is "too many", and they come up with ways to make gun owners look like criminals. Look at recent world history. Every single dictator in modern times started out by taking guns from the people first.

Home defense is a perfectly valid reason to own a gun. Target shooting is a perfectly valid reason for owning a gun. Simple collecting for those that do like guns, is also perfectly valid.

The problem to me with fighting guns with guns, if the crim has a gun theres a good chance they wont use it once they have what they want its purely there for intimidation and coercion, if every crim with a gun suspects every victim might be carrying, then all they will do is shoot you first then simply loot your corpse. If the crim just wants to kill our hurt you then they are just mentally sick, and you should immediately work on figuring out how your society created such a person in the first place and fix that... not having access to guns however would definitely delay or outright stop their desire to act what ever it is their sick mind was working on.

And why hollow points?...*snip*
edit on 23-12-2012 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

Actually, statistics show that when more people can carry guns, the crime rates go down. Most criminals decide it isn't worth risking their lives. Some still will, of course, but an armed person can defend against those, where an unarmed person cannot. Not everyone that shoots people is mentally ill, either. Some are simply evil.

Why hollow points? They are more certain to stop the intruder, and less likely to go through and hit someone else.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Basic self defense courses should be free and mandatory for all kids. Not only is it good to have them know how to defend themselves, martial arts promotes discipline and control as well.

Recommended, sure, but mandatory? Not sure I think anything should be mandatory like that, when it comes to parenting, save for basic care, of course.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Have any of you seen this.

National School Shield

The NRA sent me the link because we started a grass roots local with my sons school and it is working well.

They are stating that even if you do not want to use guns, as it is the decision on the local government.

This is different than the one the media is heavily rotating. This is not about gun control or not wanting a ban as that ship I think alot know has sailed. Like he said, go home...have some egg nog...and...come January..Executive Orders. Right now that does not matter as there are other kids like this our there. If you have a teen talk to them.

local site

We have to protect the kids. There is more security at most local fast food places. We don't have to mention banks...or malls. Do you want the guy who checked "have you attended a shooting range before" of on the application or the guy who trained and is specialized to do this. Volunteer until grants can be made. There are enough in my community to make a difference

new topics

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join