It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA wants armed guards in schools

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fireman205253
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

And silent. Don't want to wake the babies up.

Definite advantages! Don't think I will list all of them, though. Hubby has a bow, too, that I can't even draw! I am no weakling, either.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

I have younger kids 2 under age 4. So it's not a gun safety issue yet. just worry about them getting on by accident. I used to keep a handgun close with a clip in the nightstand. But like I said the bow is there if I need it. And the guns are close. It's not like the safes are on two different floors. Me and the wife have a just incase plan. But just think of the unlucky bastard that would get a broadhead in him if he broke in. Not the way I'd want to go.

Kids that small, you have to be careful! My sister won't have a gun in her house, though she would happily use one, because her son (autistic) can get into practically ANYTHING. Locked or unlocked; he's like Houdini with that stuff. So, no guns, because he can't possibly be taught about the safety. 2 and 4, they aren't old enough to understand. My youngest is 9. BIG difference! We didn't have the handguns till they were past the age where I would worry, and the rifles stayed in cases, away from ammo.

I think most would have a cow if they saw a home owner with a bow! Same for a sword, but, go figure, that's not legal! Makes no sense to me. I could bean a burglar with an iron skillet, and get away with it, but taking him down with a sword would get me arrested.

GunVault makes some really nice handgun safes that keep the guns away from the kids but also are accessible when needed. Thats what I use for my main pistol. Rifles and others are in a safe.Dead bolts, Alarm system, motion detection sensors outside, full perimeter motion lights, 2 Boxers and everyone in the house is well trained both by me and my buddy who is a firearms instructor and Swat team member. Hmmm a bow you say? Damn do I sound paranoid

Bill

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

yeah my wife can't draw my bow either. so atleast i don't have to worry about her shooting me with that.....lol

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrincessTofu
We could all stop burglars with mace, probably.

You need a nice Flank steak Princess

Bill

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

reply to post by TKDRL

Yeah country folk take firearms serious. That's why me and you are on here arguing for our guns. To be honest I don't trust alot of city people with guns.

Hey, I am a city girl, and totally safe with my guns!
I hear you, though; a lot aren't like that. To be fair I have a lot of hillbilly blood, too!

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
I was born and raised in the Netherlands (Yes Europe) and I 100% back the 2nd Ammendant, i've seen the effects of gun crime in my home country, too frequently didn't I even dare walk in the bad areas that were litterally FULL with criminals and most of them armed even though we have a tough stance on gun control.
Every night I was affraid to become a statistic of a home invasion having nothing but a pellet gun for defense.

I live in the US now and I proudly own firearms, I serve in the US Army with great pride and have master my arms.
*snip*

I visited the Netherlands once, while overseas. Amsterdam (that my brother wanted to see, not me) was terrible, even then. Sighted a pickpocket following us for a few blocks. He was a bit upset when I turned just as he started to close in, and looked him in the eye, but yeah, bad crime rate. Welcome to the US, in any case!

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Camperguy

Guess it's all about your location. A bow can be quite effective. Ever used one? If not I suggest trying it. They are fun and fairly cheap. Ammo is reusable, and quiet.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by hoochymama

Drugs I can attest to. They mess you up. The time I tried to seriously take my own life, was on my first antidepressants. Not only did I have violent urges toward myself, I had them toward others as well. Most of those drugs now have suicidal urges as listed side effects, but they are fighting to keep the violent thoughts against others off the labels still. I think I might be immune to effexor, the one I am on now. It doesn't effect me one way or the other, and I have gone a few days without to see the withdrawal side effects. I didn't experience any thankfully, If I don't see any real improvement by Feb, I am going to just quit them altogether, I made a promise to myself to give it a real try.

I think it's telling how they want to prescribe more and more drugs to kids, them blame mental issues for these crimes, too. Plus, why is it that drugs supposedly for anti-depression make people suicidal? Something fishy there! Glad you got thought alright; a lot don't.

What branch? US Army here.

Army for me, and for hubby. Was a 91T WAY back in the day. Be glad when he's out, though. A lot of changes the last few years!

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

I'm not saying my stun-gun is ever more than 6 feet from me but I think there are many non-lethal self-defense methods. Not because you don't want burglars to pay, but because you'd rather not have your weapon kill an innocent. Mace shoots up to what? 30 feet or something, these days?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

tell me about it. i was in the 3/75

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

I for one am a hillbilly i guess you would say. and of course i have dogs what hillbilly doesnt. But i love the isolation, gives the kids a good honest environment to grow up in.

Hoping we can get that when he is out, but will depend on the job he gets, of course. As long as we can avoid the big Northern cities, I can deal, I suppose! No substitute for a good dog, though. We have a couple now, though both are small. The one, well, she's tough, but not large. Really miss my old Rottie mix! That dog kept us very safe. My mom's family is the hillbilly side - Tennessee. heck, tons of Scotch-Irish from both sides, so the "defend the home and clan" stuff is ingrained.

Kids are a lot better off away from the cities, no doubt about that! I am enjoying the small town these days, and home schooling, so they get some of that.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Guess it's all about your location. A bow can be quite effective. Ever used one? If not I suggest trying it. They are fun and fairly cheap. Ammo is reusable, and quiet.

Had a 30lb recurve when I was growing up got pretty decent with it. I liked using a wrist rocket better though. Probably not as hard hitting but liked going after birds and I didnt keep losing my arrows. Been thinking about a recurve crossbow actually.

Bill

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by hoochymama
Guards with Guns at Airports: CHECK
Guards with Guns at Courthouses: CHECK
Guards with Guns at Prisons: CHECK
Guards with Guns at Military Bases in US: CHECK
US Guards with Guns at Military Bases in 100+ Nations: CHECK
Guards with Guns at Highway Checkpoints throughout the US: CHECK

Need I go on........

Wait...guards with guns at banks, sporting events, concerts, vast majority of companies, neighborhoods, supermarkets, etc etc, but never schools, malls or cinemas...lol

Hmm is there a connection here?

edit on 22-12-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

i live in ohio. But i was born an raised in eastern ky. In the hills and hollars just north of paintsville.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   

I'm not knocking the bravery of our veterans. I'm just saying that an 18 yr-old, knowing nothing other than living at home.. suddenly having to blow peoples' faces off for 2 years.. then finding themselves dumped back home.. may not have the social experiences to refer to when making a decision in the civilian world. Not a lot of adult civilian life references in their memories to refer to.

Never thought you were knocking anyone. Yes, it is true that someone in that position might not be the best choice, but that isn't what most of them are. Most don't even see combat. These days, one is safer deployed than they are driving around any big city. Even those, though, would have been in the same schools, and would know how things were done there. Plus, they don't deploy for two years. Not all at once. Enlistments tend to be four years long, also. In any case, the average veteran would be a good fit. Not all; there we agree, but, most would do fine.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   

get you a compound. you will like it better. i have a 75lb draw and a 85lb and love em.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Camperguy

GunVault makes some really nice handgun safes that keep the guns away from the kids but also are accessible when needed. Thats what I use for my main pistol. Rifles and others are in a safe.Dead bolts, Alarm system, motion detection sensors outside, full perimeter motion lights, 2 Boxers and everyone in the house is well trained both by me and my buddy who is a firearms instructor and Swat team member. Hmmm a bow you say? Damn do I sound paranoid

Bill

I do think guns should be secured where kids and criminals have a hard time getting to them. As you say there are quick open safes that are about as fast as opening a drawer and pulling out a loaded gun. I would bet this is one area we lack in the most and where we would get the most benefit if corrected. Most of my guns are in a safe secured to the floor, good luck getting into that baby any time soon...

edit on 22-12-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

We could all stop burglars with mace, probably.

I doubt that, in all seriousness. Most "mace" these days is only pepper spray. Real mace is basically tear gas, and while it can be QUITE irritating, it's not likely to stop a determined intruder. Gas chamber training, that we did get in basic, shows that you can function to a point without the protective gear, and yeah, I could get to someone through mace if I wanted to. That might slow down an attacker, and I won't say not to have it, but that's just one line of defense. If they don't stop, what then? Then you have a guy in your house, whose really ticked off.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

I'm not saying my stun-gun is ever more than 6 feet from me but I think there are many non-lethal self-defense methods. Not because you don't want burglars to pay, but because you'd rather not have your weapon kill an innocent. Mace shoots up to what? 30 feet or something, these days?

Hope I didnt come across as a dick
Use whatever you feel comfortable with though mace in a house could be painfull for you and the intruder. A stun gun you have to get close and as long as your cool with that its a good tool.I know it sounds weird but my buddies swear by dogs.Not big nasty ones but ones that bark. I have 2 Boxers.
I wish it was different , I wish we could all get along and stop killing each other. I wish we could advance to the next level.

Bill

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Camperguy

Bill

Sounds like a great set up! Paranoid? Not these days! The one dog here is pretty good about barking an alarm, and she may be small, but she's tough. Half Brittany spaniel, and half chocolate lab, and she acts like she's got her daddy's muscle all in her smaller form! Blasted dog has broken several collars, including leather! The other one is part #zu, and basically a furry little pet, though he will bark on occasion.

Your system sounds like good neighbors to me!

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

yeah my wife can't draw my bow either. so atleast i don't have to worry about her shooting me with that.....lol

Starting to sound like mine....go figure!

I do want a bow, though. Just one with less pull, not set for King Kong!

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join