It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA wants armed guards in schools

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by GrOuNd_ZeRo

Don't let the fact that you grew up in a scary neighborhood rule the rest of your life. I used to live in Oakland, Ca. The whole world isn't a bad neighborhood.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Washington DC has the strictest gun laws of all the states.

Facts can be found here DC Gun Laws

Washington DC has almost always had the highest gun crime rate in the United States

• If you look at the firearms murder rate per 100,000 people, District of Columbia comes out top - with 12 firearms murders per 100,000 men, women and children in the state. There were 77 firearms murders in DC in 2010, down 22% on 2009
• DC is followed by Louisiana (10.16) and Mississippi (7.46)
• DC is also top for firearms robberies per 100,000 people - with 242.56

facts can be found here Gun Crime

So why do we need our gun rights striped from us? so the rest of the country can have more bad guys with guns like in DC?

It's all hogwash, there have always been sick people in the world and there always will be, if someone wants to kill someone they will use whatever is easiest to get but that person or persons will still be just as dead.

In the UK the knife remains the most common instrument of murder while kicking and hitting comes in second. UK Crimes

I dont know about you all but I would much rather have a bullet to the head and be done with it then to be kicked in the head till I was dead.

No matter where you live or what you do you are still a player in that little thing called life and when fate comes calling for you there is not a damn thing you can do about it.

Want to keep the government from taking over every single aspect of your life? then leave the constitution alone and defend it with your life.

To lazy to run your own life or just to stupid? then sit idly by and allow them to take your freedoms one at a time.

link   

Originally posted by Fireman205253
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

I prefer my 30.06, that's become my choice gun I guess. But as far as someone coming in and killing the family, I don't think they could without me atleast seeing them first. I have a decent warning system working in my favor. I am safer where I am than most.

Warning systems are great. I prefer the canine sort, lol! 30.06 would work. I have a shotgun, and a .45 Glock. I also sleep very lightly. Would love to be as isolated as you are, though! Much easier to protect the family that way!

link   

reply to post by TKDRL

I have both buddy. I have a compound and a recurve

thats cool, i grew up around archery, my dad shot proffesionally for maybee 20 yrs, most of my childhood camping trips were to archery tournys..he used to make his own compound bows, not the limbs but he would design and cast his own handles and do rosewood inserts, also made arrrows, stabalizers, and custom releases, he then took up skeet and handgun..i learned alot from him

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

What branch? US Army here.

link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by rational1

You are right, they are in a way mentally ill. The same mentally ill that the police and soldier training instills in people by design. If you don't believe me, look up the history of "boot camp".

I shot a crackhead that broke into my APT armed with a big ass kitchen knife in white plains. He deserved it, I still threw up after, still felt bad for a long time. And this was in an APT, I didn't kill him, I used two rounds of bird shot so I didn't kill a bunch of neighbors. The screams gave me nightmares. I felt horible, even though he refused to drop the knife, and refused to leave.

The biggest reason I didn't join the military, was a comment made by one of my uncles who was military. We were discussing it one day over some beer, and I stated that I had apprehensions about shooting other people. His answer was: "Boot camp will take care of that!"

I didn't think having my humanity "taken care of" was a great idea.

Sorry about your ordeal and that it had to come to that. Ahh, boot camp tests your abiltiy to handle stress and to work as a unit not to become a brainwashed killing machine...that comes later at tech school

We are people just like anyone else. Every Vet I know that has been in combat, has regrets but knows they did what they had to do. They are humans and have feelings, yes there is a couple that enjoy it, but I never met one.
Dont let your uncles views skew opprotunity. Check around get some other views.

Bill

link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

The two girls I had custody of, both had .22's by 12. Hiding guns like a dirty secret is retarded IMO, but then, I am a country boy. Been shooting since 5 when I got a red rider bb gun, didn't shoot my eye out!, I think I was 8 when I got my pumpmaster 760 pelletgun, I know I was 10 when I got my first .22.

I didn't get to shoot as a kid, being in a city, but parents did have a handgun. We had one too many break-ins. We knew it was there, and not to mess with it. One family friend had several in his living room, in some of the most clever hiding places. Little nooks in older furniture, that you would never think were even there. We knew, and never bothered them. Secret guns kill kids, that, and no proper education on the safety. We did, I think, have a BB gun as kids, though. Didn't use it a lot.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Sakrateri

Funny how the MSM dont blow the issues in your hood out of control to push an agenda even when its in there own back yard. Sickening. Congress/Senate/White House has no real idea of what is really going on. There solution: Drug us Up!!!!

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by hoochymama
reply to post by Camperguy

Not a Mom, a Father. The Hoochymama name is just a "inside joke".

DOH! Apply a$$-hat now

Bill

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

I for one am a hillbilly i guess you would say. and of course i have dogs what hillbilly doesnt. But i love the isolation, gives the kids a good honest environment to grow up in.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

Originally posted by PrincessTofu
There obviously is a sort of limbo because the economy is so bad that many people are forced to join the military for gainful employment and the promise of higher education.. they join the military just out of high school or while still living with parents.. and after the trauma they have seen, they come home and are out of touch with the materialistic, shallow society.

You can't deny that there is a huge gap there. A huge problem. And of course, they joined because there are no jobs and there are still no jobs when they come back home.

Should we immediately arm them and put them in schools? Maybe no. I'm sure 99% are the most wonderful people you have ever met but it's still a little scary. Maybe we should make some civvy adjustment courses and train them? I'd vote for that.

I joined the military right out of high school. Didn't deploy (women could not then, and nothing going on at the time), but went through training. When out, I was perfectly able to work as a civilian, and didn't have any issues as a result. Someone with PTSD isn't going to be given a permit, anyway. That isn't most that serve, either, even those deployed. The military isn't some brainwashing system, that makes people out to be little killing machines. The movie (that I like) called Soldier? That's not how it actually is. Yes, some have problems, because they see some terrible things. Some cops have problems because they see terrible things, too. That doesn't mean most could not protect a school, though. ANYONE can develop PTSD. Most in the military with that issue can get ready help. They have courses to teach one another how to spot signs, and programs to help those out that have them. Not perfect, but there is a system for that. Those issues go into records, too, and would affect who was, and was not, able to be at a school with a gun. More known background for a soldier than for most citizens, for certain!

I can understand your thinking it's scary, because that's how a lot of society and the media portrays the military these days. It's not all accurate, though. I am a veteran (way back), and the wife of a career soldier, that's deployed several times. I am far more familiar with the military than the average person on the street, and I would trust most former military to protect my kids.

The average military member is a person doing a job, for crappy pay, and little appreciation much of the time, that can't just quit and walk away, and can be placed in harm's way to protect the nation and others. Understand your concerns, but believe me, I know these people. No, they aren't all saints, any more than any other group, but they are trained, and could do a good job keeping a school safe.

I'm not knocking the bravery of our veterans. I'm just saying that an 18 yr-old, knowing nothing other than living at home.. suddenly having to blow peoples' faces off for 2 years.. then finding themselves dumped back home.. may not have the social experiences to refer to when making a decision in the civilian world. Not a lot of adult civilian life references in their memories to refer to.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Sorry your on prescribed drugs. If they help you and you have a support system I am sure you will be OK. I dont think the pchyc drugs affect everyone in the same way.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I have younger kids 2 under age 4. So it's not a gun safety issue yet. just worry about them getting on by accident. I used to keep a handgun close with a clip in the nightstand. But like I said the bow is there if I need it. And the guns are close. It's not like the safes are on two different floors. Me and the wife have a just incase plan. But just think of the unlucky bastard that would get a broadhead in him if he broke in. Not the way I'd want to go.

Kids that small, you have to be careful! My sister won't have a gun in her house, though she would happily use one, because her son (autistic) can get into practically ANYTHING. Locked or unlocked; he's like Houdini with that stuff. So, no guns, because he can't possibly be taught about the safety. 2 and 4, they aren't old enough to understand. My youngest is 9. BIG difference! We didn't have the handguns till they were past the age where I would worry, and the rifles stayed in cases, away from ammo.

I think most would have a cow if they saw a home owner with a bow! Same for a sword, but, go figure, that's not legal! Makes no sense to me. I could bean a burglar with an iron skillet, and get away with it, but taking him down with a sword would get me arrested.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Camperguy

Its all good. It shouldnt really matter anyway.

edit on 22-12-2012 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
We could all stop burglars with mace, probably.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by PrincessTofu

i laid in the jungle in south america for the first four years of my military service. like to think it built character....lol

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Fireman205253

Goodness, I'm sure it did. My hat is off to you. I couldn't even stealth my way to my mailbox.

Also that sounds dreadful >.<
edit on 22-12-2012 by PrincessTofu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

items containing these very simple and commonly well know chemicals that everyday average citizens know very well not to mix together and are readily and openly available in big-box stores. I will list links to below explaining the very opposite of your reply.

blog.poolcenter.com...

chemistry.about.com...

Those are just some simple ones that one not think about to hard.
And you took chemistry ware? Im wrong am I? lol.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by PrincessTofu

haha good times. Beautiful country though, alot of drugs.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by vonclod
if my weapon was locked up under my bed it maybee takes me a minute to unlock and insert a magazine..maybee less, there is no perfect situation with this kind of thing, as for switzerland with high gun ownership why are they not killing each other like in the u.s. at the same rate per capita..it because they get mandatory training..and dare i say respect, they take it real serious, as i know alot of amercan owners do as well, im not trying to pick on anyone im just working with the info i have
edit on 22-12-2012 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

Yes, maybe a minute. In my room, both windows are right beside the bed. A minute, and I would be a statistic. Someone under 21 feet away can get to you before you can draw and fire a loaded weapon. In a dark room, the only advantage is they probably don't know exactly where you are, and have to get through the window first. Mine, locked up, would be useless to me.

Yes, in Switzerland, they are trained, and it's a serious matter. A regular, everyday matter, too. I am all for training. Where I live, you have to take a class to get a permit. That includes firing the weapon. The police train, and the military trains, so people with guns should have some training as well. Nothing wrong with that at all. Yes, I think most legal gun owners here do, because they want to know how to use the gun. Makes sense, anyway, so you know what to expect, and can have a hope of hitting your target in a pinch.

The biggest difference between here and Switzerland is, the criminals there know people are armed. Here, in a lot of places, you can't be, and they know that, too. We can't make there be no crazy people, or no evil people, or no terrorists, so we have to be able to defend ourselves. Personal defense beats the heck out of a police state.

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join