It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA wants armed guards in schools

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
When I was in high school a few years ago, we had a police officer inside the building everyday. Plus we had a security guard in the parking lot and the police also usually had atleast another officer patrolling the parking lot everyday to.

It never bothered me that there were armed police in and around my school.

Im all for having a police officers as a guards in schools.

As for the LaPierre calling out video games and movies.....no. Just, no. First it was "rock music" (I dont hear many people blaming music as much anymore these days), and now it's supposed to be caused by video games and movies....

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrincessTofu
Everyone seems to already have their minds made up about this subject. At this point it appears to be more about bull-dozing over anyone that disagrees with what they have decided.

ATS isn't about bull-dozing over people you disagree with, it's about open and honest discussion. I understand some people get a lot of happiness and thrill from drilling home their point to the point where they feel they have bullied someone else down and have 'won', but come on. Closed minds = narrow minds.

Try to remember to stay open to ideas and points of view.

Thats why I like this site, lots of opinions,ideas and experiences.Yes trolls too. People feel very strong about their kids safety.Now if you have kids in or going to school and you have valid points its a plus. People are afraid,upset,pissed off. This is probably the most heinous crime commited in America, well in my mind anyway. I think theres alot of parents looking for answers other than ban guns. Personally as I said before I like the idea of having cops at schools. My kids had it, it worked. Is it the answer to all the problems, hell no, but its a good start. I agree we have strong minded people here whos minds are made up and will not listen to anyone else or call the stupid or crazy. Theres some good ideas here and in my opinion ones that wont change anything, or hadnt changed anything in the past. From what Ive read you feel teachers are sex starved lunitics that shouldnt be trusted with guns
. I hope this wasnt a personal experience and more of a repeating of the news machines spin.

Bill

link   
reply to post by pngxp

That's still a bit of a scary, slippery slope. Although a good idea in theory. There are so many stories about soldiers coming home, unable to adjust to civvy life, blowing away their girlfriends.

I think maybe the retired cop angle could work, though. Many years on the force, no IA files, still wanting to just do good and help people.

I'd compromise and say that is a good idea. Plus they would have the decades of experience to know when something isn't quite right.

link   
reply to post by PrincessTofu

As a gun owner I agree. You are responsible for your guns, no questions. Obviously in the case like the school shooting. The guy killed the gun owner (his mom) and then used the guns in the school. But regardless they have gun safes for a reason. I personally keep my guns in a safe and my ammo in another safe that's hidden in a different room. Not to mention each individual gun has a trigger lock. I take responsibility for my guns and am very conscious of them. They are not toys and people seem to forget that. But for me, they do serve a purpose. I know some people have them just to say they have them. I do not have any guns that aren't practical for hunting. Personally don't like AR's or SKS.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

The simple fact is that there is only 4million people members of the NRA. This is a tiny percentage of the population of over 310million. I think most Americans are sick of the NRA and guns
reply to post by lacrimaererum

That"s cute, since the minority seems to dictate to the majority in matters of like unions or same sex unions.
Minorities want their rights just like everyone else. To deny that is to make light of what other so called minorities want as rights. I'm gald the NRA took it's time and suggested a actual solution instead of blowing smoke up peoples @** Now I have a question for everyone, is it such a good idea to herd students into one area during something like last weeks shooting? Talk about making the bad guys life easier. I think the suggestion of a guard shack is a great idea, especially if it is wired into the local PD. That way you would serve a dual purpose of keeping other undesirables away from school grounds. Like drug dealers and those seeking to abduct kids. My other point is this is more of a failing of his mother than a gun issue, the shooter had problems and like most mothers she refused to acknowledge the signs. Maybe it's time to test parents of children w/disabilities to make sure they are capable of dealing with their child. And I can see the outrage my statement will garner now
Children with disabilities can be a handful, adults with disabilities can be outright dangerous. The worst part is that it's not always out of malice either. Still it does not make them any less dangerous. The politicians are playing their bs games with wanting to legislate the problem away. Yay more clunky laws that will be half-assed enforced. How about longer sentencing for stealing guns from a registered owner? Or actual penalties for lying on your application to purchase a gun? There are some weak points in our gun laws.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

This is the first act in this thread that involved a community/parent solution that had nothing to do with the NRA, Congress, Senate, or the White House. Good on you. Pages of pages with arguments about who is right and wrong (facebook twitter heroes) and only one post of how someone actually did something.

Good On You.

edit on 22-12-2012 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Camperguy

I think we're on the exact same page. I don't have kids but I grew up in a family of 8 kids and felt the smaller ones were like my own in a way, I have many very young nieces and nephews and many young neighborhood children that I adore. We all want the best thing for the children and for the community in the long run.

I may have used an extreme example of why not all teachers are stable enough to be armed but that doesn't make it invalid. I've had some wonderful teachers that have changed my life.

I don't think you and I have such different views on this situation as it may appear.

(BTW, I've read some of your other posts and you are quite articulate.)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Think of it this way...... 99,000 schools, are we really going to be able to find 99,000+ people, that not only can handle children well, but also handle a gun well? The odds are against us. And that is only thinking one armed per school. It just seems very unrealistic to me.

Most of the unarmed security in schools are total douches, not to be rude. They are real jerks that like to talk down to kids, have a real attitude problem. It's hard to find decent unarmed security guards, let alone ones we trust enough to be armed.
edit on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 00:32:03 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Fireman205253

Thank you for securing your tools properly. I admire and salute that. You reflect positively on the gun community.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fireman205253
reply to post by PrincessTofu

As a gun owner I agree. You are responsible for your guns, no questions. Obviously in the case like the school shooting. The guy killed the gun owner (his mom) and then used the guns in the school. But regardless they have gun safes for a reason. I personally keep my guns in a safe and my ammo in another safe that's hidden in a different room. Not to mention each individual gun has a trigger lock. I take responsibility for my guns and am very conscious of them. They are not toys and people seem to forget that. But for me, they do serve a purpose. I know some people have them just to say they have them. I do not have any guns that aren't practical for hunting. Personally don't like AR's or SKS.

if more people felt and acted as you do i dont think there would be near as much carnage

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
First School should not be required for anyone, it is more Mind control than various Telly programs and other sources many state are 'Brainwashing', school is the ultimate Brain Washing technique, teaching 'What' they want'

I totally agree!

and who is to say a Teacher doesn't go 'Psycho' and start shooting up the school? look what has happened to the police force with the surge of 'Power Control' look at the innocent they bully

who is too say anyone that has access to guns wont go 'Psycho' and start shooting, there is no guarantee, we know that, but why put that risk factor involved?

There would have to be limits, and controls. That goes without saying. Any teacher carrying, that abused that right, would have to face serious consequences.

Any teacher that wanted to do that could already. If a shooter can get in with a gun, how much easier for a teacher? Allowing them to be armed would not change that.

it isn't Freedom if someone is forcing you to do it to protect freedoms, same with The Constitution as a whole, We are being dictated by people far before are time, the only true Freedom is not being told what to do, or following what those before wrote as 'Law'

No, it isn't. I don't think that a teacher should be forced to carry a gun, but that they should be allowed to, after passing serious background checks, if they want to,in order to defend themselves and their students. As it is now, they are defenseless.

there is no definite answer, but i don't see how increasing police, increasing Guns in a place where you don't want violence

Not police, unless there isn't another option. The biggest deterrent from concealed carry comes from the criminals not knowing who can stop them, who is armed. The same could work quite effectively at a school, as well as anywhere else. In a perfect world, we would not need such measures, but this one is a long way from perfect. Statistics have proven that guns can prevent violence, as a deterrent. Extending that to the children is only logical. If there was another way, that would be great. However, what way? Metal detectors won't work. You can't practically place them at every single door AND window, every air vent, and so forth. Plus, with the 3-D copiers, you can make working guns. There are other ways to get around that , as well.

Good points to discuss, all.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

That seems totally impractical to me..... How are you going to open up two safes, then load up in a decent ammount of time, and take the trigger lock off? If I thought like you, my lifestock would be ripped to pieces before I even had a chance to open up the safes.
edit on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 00:35:12 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

My kids were much better home schooled and they made a decision to go back to public school in 8th grade (good decision on there part as they wanted to be prepared for high school). Most parents dont have this choice but in our case it was a much better move.

Reason: My Son at the age of 8, had numerous meetings with various "reps" of the school as they thought there was something wrong (ADHD). I said during the meetings "you r all ADHD)". Over the next 7 years home schooled him and my daughter. They decided they wanted to back into school in 8th grade.

Best decision of my life. Thank God I have Smart Kids. Not ADHD kids. Parents are sometimes the worst enemys.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Well.. we already have more than 99,000 responsible gun owners out there. They're not all doing stupid crap. We would just be shifting some of those responsible people to where they're standing in front of a school.

I think it's just a band-aid, and we have a heck of a long way further to go to fix this, but it can be done as a temporary safeguard.

The real problem still needs to be addressed but it could be a temporary safeguard while we deliberate and find a solution. It isn't the solution.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

reply to post by pngxp

That's still a bit of a scary, slippery slope. Although a good idea in theory. There are so many stories about soldiers coming home, unable to adjust to civvy life, blowing away their girlfriends.

I think maybe the retired cop angle could work, though. Many years on the force, no IA files, still wanting to just do good and help people.

I'd compromise and say that is a good idea. Plus they would have the decades of experience to know when something isn't quite right.

Most soldiers are not that way, though. They are just people, glad to be home safe, and with their families again. As a plus, they have a LOT of tactical training (if they deploy, that's required), and familiarity with safe firearm use. They have children, too, and they want them safe. Theirs and others, because that's what they signed up for in the first place. I have known a LOT of military people, and I know who I would want at my back in a pinch.

Plus, those that have mental issues have that on record in most cases, and would not be chosen for such a post. Can understand the concern, but it's mostly misplaced in this case.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

My first school in southbury was like that. They were retarded, thankfully my parents cared and moved. The teacher in that school was an idiot, and had me pegged as a moron, would send me out of class on "errands" most of the day. I thought it was fun, I was in kindergarten then. They were pushing my parents to get me on ridilyn, or however that is spelled, my parents were smart enough to take me to a real pro, not a drug pusher for a second opinion.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by vonclod

Hunting has been a huge part of my life. Gun safety and responsibility was taught to me at a very young age, by my father and grandfather. I still remember the first things they taught me. 1. Treat every gun as if it is loaded, even if you know it isn't, because you could be wrong. 2. Never point a gun barrel loaded or unloaded at another person. And the pointing a gun applied to toy guns too. When I was a kid my dad broke alot of my toy guns because he saw me pointing them at someone. May seem cruel him breaking my toys, but I learned quick not to do it. I guess it translated over to the real guns for me. LOL I have to be safe cause I don't want my dad to come to my house and break all my guns.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

It was easy for them to find 500 thousand to secure Iraq, I dont think it would be that hard for them to find 99+Thousand to protect our kids.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

reply to post by pngxp

Massachusetts still has the military style weapon ban and a crime was commited recently with the same banned unregistered weapon by an unlicensed criminal. They will alway get guns, I think this one came from Mexico. Mass has some of the strictest gun laws in the country and still crimes are commited. We have an automatic 1 year jail term for having a pistol and not having a license. That law is the first thing that is thrown out in court when the crime is commited because the jails are too full. This pisses my buddy the Springfield cop off more than you can imagine. We have plenty of laws on the books but the crimes are still being comitted. We have to have our Firearms locked and unloaded we will be held liable if they are stolen and not reported in a short amount of time. The guy who stole the gun and used it in a crime will be on the street before the ink dries. We just had a 500lb gun safe stole out of a house a few towns over.Please listen to the news with alot of skepticism.
Military people arent crazy though some are definatley affected from being in combat. The guys who are affected would probably not be volunteering to be armed gaurds at school. While I alway appreciate experience , cops dont have to be old to be good and if your covering a large school you might want someone with some wind. Yes the media is all about bad cops too.

Curious if you have children?
Edit above, thanks for the compliment

Bill
edit on 22-12-2012 by Camperguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

That seems totally impractical to me..... How are you going to open up two safes, then load up in a decent ammount of time, and take the trigger lock off? If I thought like you, my lifestock would be ripped to pieces before I even had a chance to open up the safes.
edit on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 00:35:12 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

about 500 children die EVERY year by a gun found in the home and in most cases legaly owned but obviously carelessly stored

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join