Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Maya Culpa

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
This is intended to be a thread for any of us here to, should we wish, admit to ourselves...and others publicly, that we maya have allowed ourselves to get, perhaps just a little, caught up in the hype and fear over the sensationalized Mayan 'End of Days' prophesy. It's therapeutic and balancing to come back to reality every now and then...(even on a conspiracy forum).

With less than 13 hours to go for December 21st., 2012, here in the continental U.S.of A...and no reports of incoming planet-killer asteroids, comets or rogue planets, it's pretty much safe to assume that ( for everyone but House Speaker John Boehner), the world has officially NOT come to an end.

So, in the spirit of beginning this new age of enlightenment in earnest, IAMTAT, hereby publicly admits to all my fellow ATS members that even I let the unfounded fear of coming Apocalypse seep into my thoughts and my life.

As a result, I plan to move forward thinking more optimistic thoughts and wasting less of my time in fear and apprehension over the myriad of misguided predictions which have little or no basis in fact...and seem to be so prevalent on this website; There are, afterall, so many more fascinating and thought-provoking topics available here...and, henceforth, I will focus more on those.
Join me...
- IAMTAT

edit on 21-12-2012 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

Since we're in a confessionary mood, I'll confess that it was the witty title alone that made me want to post.

I like a bon mot, and this is one.

I confess, I am astounded as to why so many people at any point thought they should fear this date. From what I understood, it was supposed to be a great thing: an unveiling or something.
I confess that, deep deep really deep down, I had some anticipation - but never fear
The fearful part I still don't understand.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go and get my ashes now.

ETA. Oh BTW (I can't believe I am about to say this): it may still happen, whatever it is.
Every process only starts and ends at a single point in time-space; the deployment takes much more time.

And now, after this, I think I need a sackcloth too....

edit on 21-12-2012 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

Clever play on words. Although I applaud your intentions, I wonder just how many people will even pause to reflect on what effect their fear mongering has on some people.
edit on 21-12-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
fair play to ya sir ... takes a big man .. tho you are only words on a screen ..

for me tho ... while i wasnt certain anything would happen today .... after seeing those crazy last couple of winters in UK / Europe (with exception of last year) ... thats what has me a tad worried ... and if the sun interacts / contributes to the winters ...

Itll be great to be past this date .. but no harm in always taking precautions for you and your families safety ... by that .. i mean .. dont rely on big brother

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

Join you? You have just admitted that you belong to one of those whom believed in this ridiculous superstitious date and even tried to persuade others to share your ignorance and vanity.

Who in heaven and earth would like to follow such a little boy? Grow up and face life as it is, not as you imagine it it to be!
edit on 21-12-2012 by johncarter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by johncarter

What's wrongs with him saying "oops, I was wrong, anyone else want to confess that too"?

I'm impressed he did it,but not too optimistic that many (if any) will join him.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by johncarter
reply to post by IAMTAT

Join you? You have just admitted that you belong to one of those whom believed in this ridiculous superstitious date and even tried to persuade other to share your ignorance and vanity.

Who in heavens would like to follow such a little boy? Grow up and face life as it is, not as you imagine it it to be!

Thank you for taking the time to chastise me for my honesty. Your vitriol is perplexing, but your point is well taken.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

You're unfair.
First, he never said he tried to convince others. May be he did...but he did not say so in his thread.
Second...it takes a big man to admit one's mistakes. And all of us have something we are not proud of...have YOU ever faced something you are really ashamed of? Well...if you have, I applause. Just as I applause this OP.
Because to be honest, I thought that doomsday nonsense was plain dumb. So, to admit that you fell for it, and ask for redemption, in some ways...well: you earned it, Iamtat.
At least, for me.
And that's a good thing if it lead you to look at life with a more optimistic look, I think :-) Because life is beautiful.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I'm a firm believer in not apologizing for the act of musing on what might come. The fact that the world did not end is not something that needs to be thrashed to death now. People demanding apologies for the posts on this topic are simply stroking their own egos, and need to keep that activity in their own heads. It didn't happen... some people put all their trust in a single unproven event, and it's all past-tense now (in all time zones in x hours, at least). (Incidentally, same would go for the ones that did actually predict something would happen. Gloating is never sexy.)

I should mention, I guess I'm not responding directly to this thread, but in general to the whole mess of stuff today. Nothing against you, OP... but against any drive for apologies. It doesn't hurt anyone to see the connections that other people draw between world events and conspiracies, and predictions, and what have you...

In the end, the important thing is to live as though the world will continue to spin, even if you think everything is crumbling down, or is about to burst into flames. Because what if it doesn't? Personal beliefs should never get in the way of our dealings with the world. What matters is the reality that we're experiencing.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I just have to smile at this. A finger-wagging post by someone who's in a zen mood?

You have just given us an example of incongruity.

Peace, in any case. Happy hangover to many of us.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Love the thread title.

Humans seem to need excitement in their lives. Today was something to latch on to in the hope that something dreadful would happen.

The question now is what will we do for excitement?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I love your title btw. Now that Americans have taken the bait for both Y2K And the Mayan Doomsday "Prophecy" there will be few believers if we ever due get a realistic date or predicted event to prepare for....remember the fable of 'the boy who cried wolf?'

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The Mayan calender represents a new celestial cycle as i read it. It is a bit like the bible, open to interpretation. Nothing i read that had any credibility said it was going to be the end of the world. My biggest worry was the self fulfilling scenario. A suitcase nuke or a nuclear attack on Israel etc. Maybe in a way it is a new age of enlightenment, sort of like a cure for hiccups where you scare the crap out of them to cure them.

new topics

top topics

join