It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

some one used opea on my computer and it was not me

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
this is just creepy,
i go to bed last night, cleared all my cookies and turned my machine off,
i wake up this morning and go to clear my cookies again (habit)
and see my opea browser has websight cookies,

problem is i dont use opera unless it is to test connectivity.
and no one knows my password or has physical access to my machine.

does anyone know if opera can open pages by itself?
what the hell is going on,

the only access is physical, and unless someone knows why opea has gone off the reservation,
then someone has been INSIDE my house.

any opea buffs out there?

xploder

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
What websites were the cookies from?
Also, fyi if someone is going to hack you it wont be to surf the web.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

i only caught the extentions as they were being removed from my machine, ccleaner
do you know if opea can open a browser on its own?

xploder

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Possible background virus/malware that is populating with tracking cookies as and when you start browser

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by murch
Possible background virus/malware that is populating with tracking cookies as and when you start browser

This is the likely culprit. Not all virus/malware seeks to destroy the system. Most just inject small bits of data for ads and redirects. Much like how modern television forces to watch commercials without an opt-out slection in the service.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I use opera alot i like the interface more than browser....so this is kinda of scary to hear...I've had something like this happen but it was my own fault i had signed in as my hubby for gmail and his search history apper on my net and his history got my searches as well (how embrassin!) defently something to.look into....

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by murch

i will start the hunt for malware,
i hope your right, as it is very odd for opea to have cookies that i did not collect

thanks

xploder

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Not really hard to understand about cookies you didnt collect...especially when they lie in wait from your last time for the next browser opening and deleting the cookies would have no effect on those...it happens all the time. Sometimes even weeks later.

Im betting no gremlins in your house!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
reply to post by XPLodER

Not really hard to understand about cookies you didnt collect...especially when they lie in wait from your last time for the next browser opening and deleting the cookies would have no effect on those...it happens all the time. Sometimes even weeks later.

Im betting no gremlins in your house!

i clean my computer 3 times a day,
i watch which files and logs and cookies are deleted.
i have never seen cookies from opea unless i have used it for connectivity testing,

this is the first time cookies have been found and deleted
with no use from me

i am the only person with password access to this machine.
this is very out of the ordinary,
i watch this machine like a hawk

xploder

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Maybe you do watch it real close....but it happened, rt? There are all kinds of timed and que'd stuff that pops up when re-booted, sign-in in etc. A week later....visiting certain sites and they just "pop-up".

The only thing suspicious is you...suspecting it can't be happening because you are obsessive about monitoring it...and I'd like to know why you are moreso than the rest of us? And the first thing you think of is being hacked or someone stole your passwrod and broke into your house!

I think that speaks volumes for the way you are going about this. It was you, and sites you visited, and the cookies had nothing to do with these "drive-bys" you've got.

You got em by going somewhere....read up on it. Good luck.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
xploder

Why and why?

Good security doesn't come from the above but rather by implementing good security measures and practices.

Omg your machine just bluescreened..Script Kiddies must be hitting you with a 0day exploit..im being hax0red!

It's not like a movie..Assuming you have basic security features running people aren't gonna port scan, find your machine and then boom they have root access .. Then again in ID4 they were able to wireless interface a MAC with an alien infrastructure in 2 seconds.

Seriously man... Good ACLs on your edge devices, 2 factor authentication, proven password practices and common sense are all the security you need and none of those require hawkish watching and cleaning.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

The only thing suspicious is you...suspecting it can't be happening because you are obsessive about monitoring it...and I'd like to know why you are moreso than the rest of us? And the first thing you think of is being hacked or someone stole your passwrod and broke into your house!

i have been very careful not to download anything on this machine,
it has barely what it needs to function.

there is no bloatware on this box,
it is part of a crash and burn network i set up after an epic hack left me unable to wrestle control back from the attackers,

i have been trying to figuar out how they got in and watch the machine like a hawk,
after losing two years worth of work, i no longer keep info on this machine.

i asked the question about opea "because" there is no way people can get access without being "in" my house
if they have hacked in remotely they have left no trace,

and considering this network was set up to catch such attempts,
i am at a loss to explain this odd behaviour of opera,

as i am not fimiliar with opeas internals i asked for help,

"does opera open sessions for any reason without user input"

if the answers yes then by by opera,
if no

how did opera get the cookies ?

xploder

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA

xploder

Why and why?

see answer above^^^^^^^

Good security doesn't come from the above but rather by implementing good security measures and practices.
i agree

Omg your machine just bluescreened..Script Kiddies must be hitting you with a 0day exploit..im being hax0red!

ummmm noo

It's not like a movie..Assuming you have basic security features running people aren't gonna port scan, find your machine and then boom they have root access .. Then again in ID4 they were able to wireless interface a MAC with an alien infrastructure in 2 seconds.

looking for realistic answers here,
no aliens, no govenment conspiracy

Seriously man... Good ACLs on your edge devices, 2 factor authentication, proven password practices and common sense are all the security you need and none of those require hawkish watching and cleaning.

i am simply trying to find a security hole and plug it.

xploder

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

i go to bed last night, cleared all my cookies and turned my machine off,
i wake up this morning and go to clear my cookies again (habit)
and see my opea browser has websight cookies,

I have been using Opera for years and haven't noticed anything strange.

Did you confirm that there were no cookies after cleaning them?
Did you confirm the date of the cookies that were there in the morning?

Without knowing that it's not possible to know if Opera ran by itself, as only you can know that.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Well...it is true nothing is ever really removed from deep inside your computer files....thats how the Gov FBI and such gets stuff out after years and years....those "deleted" cookies and files leave a list of "deleted files" and will always be there....

Moving forward....after all you say...it still happened to you. Good luck my friend....I hope you can resolve things

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Well...it is true nothing is ever really removed from deep inside your computer files....thats how the Gov FBI and such gets stuff out after years and years....those "deleted" cookies and files leave a list of "deleted files" and will always be there....

That depends on how the files are deleted.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

either you have an MP disorder and do not know about it OR, you sent emails/surfed the net while you were asleep (It has been known to have happened) OR, you have a trojan virus.

edit on 22/12/2012 by Thurisaz because: expand

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

reply to post by XPLodER

Moving forward....after all you say...it still happened to you. Good luck my friend....I hope you can resolve things

Except its very easy to deleteremove files so no one can ever get to them.
edit on 22-12-2012 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

dropped a fresh image down and all go atm
roll back a month for good luck

opera is gone now, back to my usual firefox and chrome

thanks all

xploder

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

opera is gone now, back to my usual firefox and chrome

Doing that without knowing what really happened is not the best way of solving the problem, but if you are OK with that, then I guess it's OK.

top topics

join