It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Can't We Get Photos Of ALL Sides Of the Moon?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
If the Sun lights up the Moon; as has been taught...How come we only see one side of it? We have satellites in orbit right? We have many space telescopes...I know this is a subject that has been breached many times as evidenced by the threads...No one has every satisfactorily explained it to me in a way for me to grasp it.

I implore someone to tell me if the Sun lights up the Moon how come we don't get pictures of the "Dark Side" ever? It seems to me that at some point that side of the Moon would be lit up from some view in space. I just can't wrap my feeble mind around it.

I mean for instance today, I look outside and I see the Moon lit up (half), the Sun is on the opposite side of the Moon and the direction should show the Moon lit up in a different position than it does if the Sun was the source of its light.

Sun is in the west and the Moon is to East right? How come the light is coming from the Northern Side? Shouldn't it be coming from the direction of the Sun? The Western half? At least that is what my common sense tells me...I am sure there is a logical explanation from someone...I have heard most of the explanations about how the Sun causes the Moon to shine...I just haven't heard the one that convinces me this is the absolute truth.

Please tell me how come it is possible for us to get pictures of Galaxies by the billions but we cannot even get clear resolution pictures of all parts of the Moon? Doesn't this strike in least as being extremely odd? I know it does me. I find it incomprehensible, unless they just don't want us to know the truth...that seems more logical to me than telling us what they tell us and teaching us what they have taught.

BAW33

edit on 12/21/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: grammar!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The entire moon has been mapped by satellites.
Satellites dating as far back as the 60s
What the hell are you on about?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
A real nice detailed image of the dark side of the moon was just released. I'm assuming that's the portion in question.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Really? There are tons of photos of all sides of the moon. Do your research.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
This thread makes my brain cry..

People need to get with the program.. science is a great thing, do your research... the entire moon has been imaged and mapped... Hint: no bases, no aliens.. lots of rock

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

As the moon goes round the earth, it also turns, at about the same speed..
The result is that the same side of the moon is always directed towards us.
The turning is not quite exact, I believe, so the part that has never been seen from earth is slightly less than half.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Here's just one image...

apod.nasa.gov...

And there is a nice little video on this page.

www.cbc.ca...
edit on 21-12-2012 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Now Silly... We don't get to see that side because thats where all the Alien mother ships are parked like Disneyland on Labor Day. They warned us about peeking before the big day, after all.

Seriously... Here is the Moon in full 360 Degree coverage. Don't think too hard about the physics of where the satellite was to Earth's position to the Moon's position to get this shot and effect...It'll tend to make you dizzy. lol.. Also, I don't know how to embed these videos, so a link is what ya get.

Earth's Moon in full 360 Degree Visual Rotation

Science never has been real good about explaining the "dark side" term and what a misnomer that is.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

This is the back side of the moon,Can you see me now?
Seriously the moon has been photographed from all angles for years.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
So many meteors are blocked by moon, its only visible when we see the dark side that took the damage.

People probably see the dark side of the moon, but the whole moon is so similar(unless your are into astronomy or have telescope) that people don;t know his side they looking at.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I'm sure that BrokenAngelWings33 was heading towards, "Where's the photos of the moon buggy and the USA flag from outer space photos?" Maybe I'm wrong, but that's where I think BrokenAngelWings33 was heading in this thread.

Personally, I'm wondering why we haven't seen tons of photos from outer space showing the moon buggy and the American flag from all angles; and lets not forget those famous foot prints wondering all over a small patch of the moons surface.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

I'll predict what they would say when China goes there to see no foot Prints... "meteor landed and destroyed our crash site, along with foot prints"

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
what i miss here is the term 'tidally bound'
over the long time the moon is orbiting earth, it lost a good portion of its own spin due to the strong influence of earth's mass.
the moon is still rotating around its own axis but its in sync with its path around the earth, so it appears that it always shows us the same side.

the reason why this sort of synchronisation happens is the the mass/distance relatio of earth and moon and the fact that both aren't perfectly spheric in terms of mass distribution in both bodies.

this inperfectness creates a sort of small friction where both bodies get slower over time to the point that one of the partner (the one with less mass) is in sync, which is the sort of motion around its larger partner with the less loss in fricition.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Here's a zoomable browser of the whole Moon using of pictures taken by the camera on the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO). You can get pretty close hi-res images the more you zoom in. If you want to see the far side, enter 180° in the box that says "center longitude". 180° longitude is the longitude for the "center line" of the far side.

LROC WMS Image Map

Here is an image gallery of pictures taken by the LRO camera. This gallery includes some extremely hi-res images (some as good as 30 cm resolution) of both the near and far side. Any image with a longitude of 90° to 270° degrees is of the far side:

LROC Image Gallery

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TMJ1972

I think OP understood that concept, and many of us on ATS do know that. OP just couldn't tell the difference between both sides of moon, and simply, most picture you find online would be the earth facing side.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
There ARE photos of all sides of the moon.
Just because it is called 'the dark side of the moon' does not mean it never receives any light, it's just that only one side faces us.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by TMJ1972

I think OP understood that concept, and many of us on ATS do know that. OP just couldn't tell the difference between both sides of moon, and simply, most picture you find online would be the earth facing side.

That may be because many of the images online are taken with Earth-based telescopes.

The LRO site has a zoomable browser that lets you look at all of the Moon all the way around.

edit on 12/21/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
Personally, I'm wondering why we haven't seen tons of photos from outer space showing the moon buggy and the American flag from all angles; and lets not forget those famous foot prints wondering all over a small patch of the moons surface.

we do not get tons of images from the sites because optical systems to be capable making a lunar photo with desired resolution from ..lets say earths surface .. need to be the size of a football field.

its a thing about wavelength and focus lenght, and actually if you are a nut in optics you can calculate what you need to make such pictures.
Even hubble with its large mirror can not take a proper picture of it for this reason.

And since larger mirrors require space, which is very limited for optical systems aboard space probes, you really need to design something and let it fly right above the sites to get what you want.

as far as i remember the lunar reconaissance orbiter was the last probe which was capable taking pictures of the lunar landing sites, and it did so because its orbit and distance where just right.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
What are the dark areas on the side we see?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join