It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 New Doomsday Dates to Look Forward To

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Now that 12/21/2012 has come and gone without any kind of apocalyptic event, I thought I would list a few possible future dates that could in fact see a cataclysmic event. Unlike the Mayan apocalypse, these scenarios are based on actual observable facts and evidence. Here we go.

---------------------------------------------------------

Date: February 15, 2013 (Less than two months away!)
Scenario: Asteroid collision with Earth
Source: theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

March 4, 2012 – SPACE – Scientists are predicting that the asteroid 2012 DA14 has a good chance of colliding with earth in eleven months. Watch the skies in February 2013! According to RT, NASA has confirmed that the 60 meter (or 197 feet) asteroid, which was spotted by Spanish stargazers in February this year, has a good chance of colliding with earth.

Date: April 13, 2029
Source: www.space.com...

Update, Dec. 25, 9:47 p.m. ET: The risk of an impact by asteroid 2004 MN4 went up slightly on Saturday, Dec. 25. It is now pegged at having a 1-in -45 chance of striking the planet on April 13, 2029.

Date: April 13, 2036
Source: www.huffingtonpost.com...

Apophis Asteroid is back in the news after a Russian report concluded it could hit Earth in 2036. They even have a date for the potential impact.

"It's likely collision with Earth may occur on April 13, 2036," Professor Leonid Sokolov of St. Petersburg State University concluded, though he also said the chances of that happening are extremely slim, according to UPI.

Date: January 19, 2038
Scenario: Computer bug known as the "Year 2038 Problem"
Source: en.wikipedia.org...

The year 2038 problem may cause some computer software to fail at some point near the year 2038. The problem affects all software and systems that both store system time as a signed 32-bit integer, and interpret this number as the number of seconds since 00:00:00 UTC on Thursday, 1 January 1970.[1] The furthest time that can be represented this way is 03:14:07 UTC on Tuesday, 19 January 2038.[2] Times beyond this moment will "wrap around" and be stored internally as a negative number, which these systems will interpret as a date in 1901 rather than 2038. This is caused by integer overflow. The counter "runs out" of usable digits, "increments" the sign bit instead, and reports a maximally negative number (continuing to count up, toward zero). This is likely to cause problems for users of these systems due to erroneous calculations.

Date: February 5, 2040
Scenario: Huge asteroid collision with Earth
Source: www.foxnews.com...

Scientists are keeping a close eye on a big asteroid that may pose an impact threat to Earth in a few decades.

The space rock, which is called 2011 AG5, is about 460 feet (140 meters) wide. It may come close enough to Earth in 2040 that some researchers are calling for a discussion about how to deflect it.

he near-Earth asteroid 2011 AG5 currently has an impact probability of 1 in 625 for Feb. 5, 2040, said Donald Yeomans, head of the Near-Earth Object Observations Program at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

Of all these scenarios, the last one would also be the disastrous.

What can we conclude from all this? Given a long enough timeline, the survival rate for any species goes to zero. Eventually, there will for sure come a point at which the human race is wiped out by an extinction level event. Even if none of these scenarios come to fruition, there will be more. Eventually, the sun will become a red giant and the earth will cease to exist, if the human race survives that long.

Conclusion: We're for sure gonna die! Live accordingly.
edit on 21-12-2012 by SilentKoala because: typos

edit on 21-12-2012 by SilentKoala because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

edit on 21-12-2012 by Mickles because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
You people don't stop do you? Always gotta be a new doomsday to look foward to. Why can't you just be normal people and ya know go live life instead of wanting the earth to be destroyed by some doomsday conspiracy? Go out and look at the sun and the grass, and the sky. Breathe some nice oxygen from outside.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

February fifteenth scares me. If my wife's present on valentines day, the fourteenth, isn't appropriate, it's usually not too peaceful around the house the next day. If I spend too much on her present I also get in trouble for wasting money. It's almost a guaranteed failure.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by neobludragon

I took this post as more of a "joke" or at least less-than-serious, kind of a poke-fun at our occasional silliness. Entertaining compilation of future craziness.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

please stop being idiots

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by trixieKitten
reply to post by neobludragon

I took this post as more of a "joke" or at least less-than-serious, kind of a poke-fun at our occasional silliness. Entertaining compilation of future craziness.

Its not funny though, cause some one will take it more then a joke and there will be non stop posts bout it and you will be quoted and it will be taken out of context.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by neobludragon
You people don't stop do you?

Nope.

Always gotta be a new doomsday to look foward to.

Yup.

Why can't you just be normal people and ya know go live life instead of wanting the earth to be destroyed by some doomsday conspiracy? Go out and look at the sun and the grass, and the sky. Breathe some nice oxygen from outside.

Look at the grass all you want. We're still going to die.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Oh god......Here we go again!!

I SURVIVED 12/21/12.....WHAT'S NEXT??

Yay......More BS to look into right around the corner!!
edit on 12/21/2012 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by neobludragon
Its not funny though, cause some one will take it more then a joke and there will be non stop posts bout it and you will be quoted and it will be taken out of context.

But it's not a joke. These events are actual possibilities. I've cited my sources.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala
Source: theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

March 4, 2012 – SPACE – Scientists are predicting that the asteroid 2012 DA14 has a good chance of colliding with earth in eleven months. Watch the skies in February 2013! According to RT, NASA has confirmed that the 60 meter (or 197 feet) asteroid, which was spotted by Spanish stargazers in February this year, has a good chance of colliding with earth.

Already dismissed by NASA -- see Asteroid 2012 DA14 Won't Hit Earth, NASA Says, But Don't Rule Out Satellites (VIDEO), an article from last May -- it will come close, but it won't hit the Earth.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Its a huge joke, in fact each one of those days will by as normal and you will feel foolish to even have brought them up.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I'll go ahead and predict that the only thing that will happen in any of these events is the creation of new doomsday dates.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Hitting satellites would actually be pretty concerning. If it swept through the geostationary belt and knocked out a whole bunch of them, our technological infrastructure could come apart at the seams. Just saying.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Sorry man, I appreciated your research thats why I gave you a star. It's just that I'm very easily entertained, and seem to find the humor in most situations-- I find it's one way of keeping myself positive and not a depressed maniac. Take care & best of luck

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Nice finds. still got time to build the bunker. lol

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by trixieKitten

That's not to say I wouldn't find an apocalyptic event funny. I would.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
PFFT, You forgot the Gregorian date, January 3rd, 2013.

But really, can these threads be done? I'd like to go back to Alien topics now. D;

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

2012 DA14

2012DA14 has no chance whatsoever of impacting the Earth.

Its orbit about the sun can bring it no closer to the Earth's surface than 3.2 Earth radii on February 15, 2013.

Source

Date: April 13, 2029
2004 MN4

Your source for this is ridiculously out-of-date (8 years out-of-date, to be exact). No impact will occur, however there is a close-approach which has the possibility of setting up an impact in 2036. Just 2 days after your source was updated, observations eliminated any possibility of impact in 2029.
An earlier close-approach occurs in January, after which the asteroid's orbits will be further refined, which has implications on the following scenario...

Date: April 13, 2036
Apophis

(Apophis being just another name for 2004 MN4.) Even as of 2009, the risk of an impact in 2036 was calculated to be 1 in 230,000 (source). Its close-approach next month will help eliminate that risk altogether.

All of these asteroid impact "risks" are less than the background risk of some random asteroid impacting out of nowhere.

edit on 21-12-2012 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I woulden't really consider these as "End of the world events" like todays little chestnut. As they only have an outside chance of happening. Today was meant to be the big one. And that was a let down lol. I sure wont be counting the days down to these. I may well be dead anyhows

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join