Merry Christmas From Hubble

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Hi ATS and a happy 21st of December. We made it!

Here is a special christmas picture from Hubble.

Planetary Nebula NGC 5189

Some info:

The NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope celebrates the holiday season with a striking image of the planetary nebula NGC 5189. The intricate structure of the stellar eruption looks like a giant and brightly coloured ribbon in space.

Planetary nebulae represent a final brief stage in the life of a star like the Sun. While consuming the last of the fuel in its core, the star expels a large portion of its outer regions, which then heats up and glows brightly, showing intricate structures that scientists are still trying to fully understand. The structure visible within NGC 5189 is particularly dramatic, and Hubble’s image of the nebula is by far the most detailed yet made of this object [1].

Looking at the detail of Hubble’s image, possible thanks to Hubble’s very high resolution, the nebula shows a series of dense knots in the clouds of gas. The gas and radiation flowing out from the dying star carves out shapes in the clouds, forming glowing bow-wave-like patterns towards the centre of the nebula.

Have a merry christmas everyone and a happy new year!

Please visit the link for further info and pictures.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
FANTASTIC FIND!

i love the hubble telescope and always have, this is a stunning picture indeed, thanks for posting it!

s+f

EDIT: and of course a happy Christmas to you also.
edit on 21-12-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
FANTASTIC FIND!

i love the hubble telescope and always have, this is a stunning picture indeed, thanks for posting it!

s+f

EDIT: and of course a happy Christmas to you also.
edit on 21-12-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

Thank you.

I like to browse the Hubble site from time to time. You can lose yourself just staring into these pictures. I know I do.
I would love to get paid to find these Nebulas!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The first pic that really really just stunned to my core, was Hubbles first Ultra-Deep Field picture, of 1,000s of galaxies, fuzzy pic or not, my mind was blown that day.

These fantastic nebulae are just cherrys on the top every now and then, great stuff nasa

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I think I see Santa and his eight tiny reindeer in the southwest quadrant of that pic.

He should have recharged the batteries in his portable GPS unit, now the poor bugger is lost in space.

Santa, oh Santa !
Where for art thou ?!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
The first pic that really really just stunned to my core, was Hubbles first Ultra-Deep Field picture, of 1,000s of galaxies, fuzzy pic or not, my mind was blown that day.

These fantastic nebulae are just cherrys on the top every now and then, great stuff nasa

I remember seeing that for the first and I couldn't get my head around it. My gob was wide open....come to think of it, I may have even dribbled a bit..

Originally posted by CranialSponge
I think I see Santa and his eight tiny reindeer in the southwest quadrant of that pic.

He should have recharged the batteries in his portable GPS unit, now the poor bugger is lost in space.

Santa, oh Santa !
Where for art thou ?!

Damn solar flares gone messed up Santa's Tom Tom.

In the picture I can see an evil grinning face, showing it's teeth. Bald on top with clown like hair starting from it's cheek area going round the back of it's head and some sort of strange energy thing coming out of it's eyes....... :/ That doesn't sound very jolly at all.
edit on 21/12/2012 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Amazing image, S&F. I wonder if the Hubble can ever make a time-lapse of the expanding nebula, it would look really beautiful.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
Amazing image, S&F. I wonder if the Hubble can ever make a time-lapse of the expanding nebula, it would look really beautiful.

There are a few time-lapse videos of nebulae but nothing that I found were high quality images like the one in the OP. That would be a great idea if Hubble threw some together though.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Hubble has to be one of humanity's best creations so far. Thanks for the awesome image!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by revered
Hubble has to be one of humanity's best creations so far. Thanks for the awesome image!

You're bang on there.

No worries

new topics
top topics

join