It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's the End of the World for the Doomsday Economy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

I agree, being a prepper doesn't mean that you have to hole up in a bunker hoarding enough food to feed a football team for a year with enough guns an ammo to start a coup. It can be simply thinking ahead and not totally being reliant on things that we take for granted and may have to do without for a while. Having a plan to deal with a few days without fresh water or electricity is just common sense and does not require being suckered into the commercial doom business.

And Boncho the doomsayer cults go back way further than the 1840's. Christianity is and always has been a 'Doomsday' cult. Early Christians fully expected the book of Revelation to come to pass in their lifetimes (before this generation comes to pass away) and it's entire raison d'etre was to get through the apocalypse and live eternally with their saviour. Most early religions had a similar Apocalypse / Armageddon / Raganorok inevitable view of the end of things that man could not prevent but could prepare for. humans being humans once a fear was created there was money/power to be exploited

A few candles/blankets/arrows and some food and water combined with a bit of common sense is the least that anyone should do, because who knows what is around the corner.

Knowledge is the best preparation of all and with the advent of the internet all the knowledge you need is there for all to learn. Basic first aid, growing some vegetables, making safe drinking water can all be learned for free now and become priceless and lifesaving during interesting times. Expecting a global catastrophe or rejecting the concept out of hand are both equally foolish.
To put your life in danger only your locality has to be affected.
Gone a bit off topic there I know ,but what the hey .........Merry Christmas everyone..

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I don't get it, how do you prep for doomsday anyway, get baptized or something
I prep for power outages, furnace breakdowns, no water because of power outages, raising food prices, etc... I try to buy my winters oil at the cheapest price, I have waited till it was almost gone and paid half more to get it filled. I prep to save money and make sure I don't suffer at all if something comes up.

Maybe people should take a good look at their preparation for possible problems that can occur so they don't become a burden on others if things go sour. Everyone should have some food and alternative heat or have a good friend that is prepared for both of them. Disaster doesn't have to be real depressing, you don't have to be starving or freezing. Wake up Americans, this is a new era that we are entering.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

why would having a bunker be a bad thing then? i do realize what you're saying and i'm sure many made bank on the doomsday scenario and in wrongful way, through deceit.

Why is one person more important than the other in a crisis situation? How is the person who builds a bunker to live by themselves in a zombie apocalypse financial meltdown any better than the elitists they claim they hate?

Excuse me, but if the economy collapses, and services are shut down and my country is living off rations. I will be doing something useful for my friends and family, my neighbours, to try and get our community back on its feat. If everyone around me goes down, I will go down along with them swinging. Not hiding in a hole in the ground basking in my selfishness.
edit on 21-12-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

why would you assume anyone with a bunker would make it just for themselves and not want to help their neighbors? i do not have a bunker btw, wish i had the money for one since they look like a lot of fun, thinking some great Texas Holdem tournaments.

i think there is a great misconception of what we have before us and in branding people for what they believe.

my people are not new agers and we believe great change will come, just how that comes about it anyone's guess though, since we don't believe all is written in stone, so to speak.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by CranialSponge
On a more positive note regarding this 2012 stuff though...

It surely must have helped to boost the economy somewhat over these past few years. Cabelas et al no doubt made a killing off of it.

I guess... And still less annoying than Tony Robbins.

I am still thinking about starting the next end of the world. I'm thinking books, audiobooks, ebooks, merchandise, movies, radio shows, TV, workshops, seminars, anxiety retreats, armageddon investments, a nutrient line...

I honestly believe I could bank a million off it if I put the effort in...

Bah, don't bother.

Paper money will be probably become useless before you hit the million dollar mark and get to spend it on your comic superhero heman collectibles.

Unless of course you can get everyone to pay you in gold and silver bullion ?

But I'm not sure if the pimple-faced kid working the comic book store will accept your gold bars because they won't fit in the cash register.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by HumansEh

And Boncho the doomsayer cults go back way further than the 1840's. Christianity is and always has been a 'Doomsday' cult. Early Christians fully expected the book of Revelation to come to pass in their lifetimes (before this generation comes to pass away) and it's entire raison d'etre was to get through the apocalypse and live eternally with their saviour. Most early religions had a similar Apocalypse / Armageddon / Raganorok inevitable view of the end of things that man could not prevent but could prepare for. humans being humans once a fear was created there was money/power to be exploited

Yes, it really defines human control since they began controlling the other. I believe the article was speaking about when it was first really monetized though, or made into it's own little industry. But even then, I'd say you'd have to go back further.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

why would you assume anyone with a bunker would make it just for themselves and not want to help their neighbors? i do not have a bunker btw, wish i had the money for one since they look like a lot of fun, thinking some great Texas Holdem tournaments.

It is still addressing a problem by burying your head in the sand. It doesn't make sense to me.

Unless of course you can give me just one example of someone who buried themselves in a bunker... Ah... I see. I know people who grew up in warzones. In their preteens and friends were blown up walking on mines, or their relatives gunned down by rebels, warlords, etc.

They survived, and they have quite a bit of character.

Never met any that just hid out in a bunker for a decade though. And since no zombie apocalypse has run amok on the Earth, I wasn't able to get the survivors opinions on that one...

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
would be the best news i've heard all day if we took a path away from the fear one

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

one would imagine the popularity of said bunkers probably came about through WWII and at the time, was a very real concern. i heard stories of people using bunkers to have great party's in back then so at least they were not a total waste of money.

something i always wonder is what kind of person will manipulate the doomsday economic sales data?

do you think they figure bunker sales in as part of inflationary numbers or not?
since most of what we use now, as citizens, is not figured in their magical inflationary figures. used to be just small food storage and some water was preparing, now you need a bunker and total solar energy, they can certainly offset those numbers when going from a couple sandwiches, to a bunker and solar power, hell that will be added as negative inflation. lmao

this thread has potential.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

one would imagine the popularity of said bunkers probably came about through WWII and at the time, was a very real concern. i heard stories of people using bunkers to have great party's in back then so at least they were not a total waste of money.

Actually, a lot longer than that. In ancient civilizations in the Middle East, there were cave dwelling groups that started out as traders but when wars broke out in the region they move to the caves...

Doing something out of necessity and something out of fear are two different things though.
edit on 21-12-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join