It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was the Champions League draw fixed?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

I never once claimed that I was intellectually advanced when compared with a Chelsea or Manchester United season ticket holder. In fact the only reference I made to my own intellectual capacity is to announce to the membership that I have never attended a university or indeed any other form of advanced education.

Smarts or not, my point stands. Football causes more bloody noses, broken ribs, smashed property, and public order offence than any other sporting activity undertaken by residents of the UK, and I for one would rather see it, and everyone who is involved with it, immediately forgotten by society.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
It wouldn't suprise me if it was a fix,i've thought it for many years to be honest..it does get a little stale during the group stages but picks up during the knockout stages.

It could be just a coincidence but something tells me this has been going on for a long time,the champions league is big money.

football in general for me has gotten a little stale lately anyway

green army

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

I never once claimed that I was intellectually advanced when compared with a Chelsea or Manchester United season ticket holder. In fact the only reference I made to my own intellectual capacity is to announce to the membership that I have never attended a university or indeed any other form of advanced education.

Smarts or not, my point stands. Football causes more bloody noses, broken ribs, smashed property, and public order offence than any other sporting activity undertaken by residents of the UK, and I for one would rather see it, and everyone who is involved with it, immediately forgotten by society.

I made the intellectually based comment on yours which was "Football is an intellectual cancer" which I think speaks for itself. The rest of your post just makes you seem like an extremist version of a letter writer to the Daily Mail. Sorry, there are people who will act in a tribal fashion, some of them act in that manner under the banner of supporting a football club just as others will under the banner of supporting a medievel brutal 'sport' such as fox hunting. It's not the fault of the game in the case of football.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Having watched the draw every year for the past 5 or 6 years I feel confident it's not an issue. The Spanish clubs couldn't play the Spanish clubs, the Italian clubs couldn't play the Italian clubs and the German clubs aren't allowed to play the German clubs, so the chances of such a draw were not (I feel) as exaggerated as the MSM made out. (for a cheap Thursday afternoon story at the peak of office Christmas parties).

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
soccer is stupid and boring but yes it was fixed, why not just do it again? because the accomplished what they wanted, there is no way it would happen the same 2 times in a row exactly...

Every major league and college sport is fixed just like wrestling its all about the $$$$ get over it our world is a live action play put on to keep people enslaved. Its like the matrix without us being inside of a computer with hoses, but probably one day we will have that part to im sure.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
There was about a 1 in 230 chance of that happening. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by murch
You must remember it wasn't a simple draw. Conditions were in place that meant no team could play a team from same association or a team that they faced in group stage. So 4 teams from spain can't play each other, 3 german teams, 2 english and italian teams. This cuts the odds massively. Combine that with previous group match-ups you will see there aren't many available outcomes.

That said I wouldn't put it past them to fix it.

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen.
Good post, although like yourself I wouldn't put it past them.
More people watched the Champions League than the Superbowl some one said....
Well of course Sherlock, we're talking real football here. I've never seen the Superbowl in my life.
Don't think many peeps outside the US do. I mean I bet there's people, but not as much as football, the one played with foots.

Barça v Milan = classic draw, forza Barça, som el millors!

Manchester United v Real Mandrill = another classic draw, go reds! Down with Mandrill and all their supporters! If Man United beat them, I'm bringing out the Champagne and celebrating Mandrills loss, hah.

Platini, Blatter, "yea, yea, this one with that one and that one with this one, yep that looks like a profitable draw, tv rights this and that, yea, looks good".

Could be.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ramcheck
Having watched the draw every year for the past 5 or 6 years I feel confident it's not an issue. The Spanish clubs couldn't play the Spanish clubs, the Italian clubs couldn't play the Italian clubs and the German clubs aren't allowed to play the German clubs, so the chances of such a draw were not (I feel) as exaggerated as the MSM made out. (for a cheap Thursday afternoon story at the peak of office Christmas parties).

Exactly.

Everyone is assuming the chances are above 1000 to 1, but that's simply not the case.

The chances are that high before the Champions League starts, when the original draw is done. But, even then, the probabilities are very mixed because of all the rules between different/same leagues and countries participating in the competition.

Nobody - not the fans, not the organization and especially not the clubs - wants two teams from the same league/country to eliminate each-other. That's not the point of the CL.

For that, the set of rules in existence prevents a really random draw. Some teams might be facing 6 different combinations, but there are others that only face 2 possible outcomes.

I think that whoever wrote that article has very little understanding of how things are done in the draws that UEFA does.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Woah, someone doesn't like football!

As an avid fan of my local team, Reading (currently propping up the Premier League table) I also take my two eldest along to games (they are both 9) and they love it. It's very family orientated and a good day out. I also certainly do not go home and beat on the missus if we lose and trust me, we've done a lot of that this season..

As for the OP, I can understand the complexity of the draw made only a finite number of outcomes possible but with FIFA's record of corruption I would not be surprised to find out UEFA were also bent.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

No, your point does not stand...

The fact it might be responsible for what you say (when in actual fact nearly all football games go off very peacefully these days) is because it is, by far, the most played and popular sport in the country.

As a former Rugby player, however, I can attest that if Rugby was anywhere near as popular as Football, we'd have the same problem. I've been in enough Rugby clubs to see that when it comes to drinking and loutish behaviour, they take the cup and no-one else get's a look in.

I also suspect you've probably haven't actually gone to a game, certainly not in the last 20 years.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
so now we know why they do a dress rehearsel

football has been "controlled" for years.....m not believing its a coincidence

its not fixed...but its controlled.....

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

...because where I am from, match day, for football fans means gathering in a pub, drinking more than is physically possible, let alone recommended, and having a fight after the game, outside the pub, no matter what the result was. A pox upon the whole bloody affair.

Having attended football matches my entire life, I don't recognise your decription of match day. Rather than stereotype football fans based on your own limited experience perhaps you should broaden your horizons a little.

edit on 21/12/12 by Insomniac because: Typo

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Good find OP ,I watched the draw live, who knows?
Man United v Real Madrid is a downer..for all true fans ,because that would have been almost the perfect final.
Barcelona must be happy.
I think it will be an epic game all the same.
Manchester United will go through just.
Football has been in my life since i can remember...those who rubbish it , do not love it simple.
Many however do LOVE Football.
That is why we care if some are match fixing espescially the Italianswho seem repeat offenders.

link   
Man United v Real Madrid is a downer..for all true fans ,because that would have been almost the perfect final.
Barcelona must be happy.
Football has been in my life since i can remember...those who rubbish it , do not love it simple.
That is why we care if some are match fixing espescially the Italianswho seem repeat offenders.

link   
Barcelona must be happy.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Did you really honestly just post in this thread strictly to insult soccer...I mean football fans?

Really? That's embarrassing. Not exactly a Truebrit are you? I don't know I am asking, I'm American, I am here to help you.

As a side note, how come ya'll can type normal American English but you can't speak it? I find that fascinating. Just pronounce it like you type it and then you can talk like Us finally. =)

Big smile over here, I hope there is no offense taken. I want it to be a joke and not put this disclaimer but I also don't want someone to miss my sarcasm and get upset.

*edit* Forgot to say, absolutely that looks to be fixed to me. Without question.

edit on 12/21/2012 by sputniksteve because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
This doesn't surprise me in the least, especially the way that money has started to govern the once beautiful game....

A game that at one time I couldn't live without or indeed miss any game that was being shown, has now completely changed due to it becoming the most boring, non-contact sport.....

Once it was a mans game, blokes used to get stuck in and challenge for the ball, players even used to try and dribble passed opposing players, unlike today's pile of poo.....

Basically in today's game, if you are fit and can run around for 90 minutes without getting knackered, if you can pass a ball in a straight line, then you can play in today's game, you don't even have to be any good to play today....

I feel sorry for the young generation today, they will never watch a proper game of football in the way it was meant to be played.....

I can take it or leave it now, most of the time it bores me to tears, and as for the price of a match day ticket, give me break......

A big diluted pile of poop........

We will never see the class of these players again in the today's world of overpaid players and diluted football...

Brian Little............class dribbler.....

George Best.......No more to say, the greatest....

Gazza........The last greatest player....

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

That's a bit cynical! Granted, the Premier League has some of what you are moaning about, but by and large it is fast paced, flowing football with plentiful dribbling, meaty challenges and some quality football.

However, if you really want the gritty football of days gone by, you will find it in the Championship or the lower leagues. Some of the best games I have seen have been when Reading was in the Championship, although even in the Premiership we play flowing, attacking football and pull no punches..

The worst offenders for the crimes against football you mention are the Italian and Spanish leagues... God they are dull... It's a parade of long, greasy hair do's, prima donna's and boring 1-0 results.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
TrueBrit is certainly not a true brit, in fact he is a disgrace, football is a wonderful thing, how I enjoy getting up on a Saturday morning, reading the paper, picking a couple of nags and washing the car or cutting the lawn. Then after a light lunch heading down to the pub for a few pints to meet the lads, place a bet and heading off to the game stopping at another pub on the way and a couple more in the ground with a pie.

Watching balckpool play and them heading back to the working mens club for tea and a few more pints watching all the scores and race results, a game of snooker or two then back home.

Harmless fun ive been doing all my life as my dad and granddad did too, and not one of my friends or family have ever been in a brawl at a game. I cant say whether they smack their wifes around, but if they did, that wouldnt be footballs fault, it would be the wives fault for opening her stupid gob.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FastJetPilot

You made me smile. I really wasn't expecting that last part =) Reminds me of a joke, but I can't remember which one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join