It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are 'Preppers' Nuts or Potential Terrorists as Hinted at By the MSM and Gov't.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou
reply to post by DaTroof

No ones talking abjout murder apart from yourself. These people are talking about their right to bear arms - A right given to them by the American leaders and the Constituion before the criminal cartel began ripping it apart.

It's you who are suggesting murder and negativity...why?

Ohhhhhhhhh, you just want to hold the gun, not fire it? OK. You can hold an unloaded gun.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Dude they keep urine in bottles, of course they're nuts.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof

Originally posted by GoldenBrain71

Why would one need guns alongside first aid kits and canned food?

To keep your kits and canned food in your possession of course.

Who's gonna take it?

You're telling me you'd rather treat another human being as a target rather than aid them with your supplies? Now I see the purpose of prepping. Murder fantasy.

Criminals and desperate people who I would have offered food to had they not tried to steal it.

You are trying to twist my words a little bit so I'll clarify for you.

Personally I feel that there isn't any amount of worth on any product or object on earth that is more valuable than a human life. With that said, if you take my food away then you take my means of feeding my family which is basically the same as walking in and shooting all of us. Food is not a product, it's life. Theft of things that don't keep you alive should be deterred but if it comes to shooting somebody then I say draw the line there and let them have whatever it is they came for. Let the maker sort them out.

edit on 21-12-2012 by GoldenBrain71 because: (no reason given)

And who is going to make the determination between ally or thief? You? Paranoid and armed, and probably starving... you're going to determine whether another human being deserves life? Again, murder fantasy.

You have a strange antagonistic way about you but I'll play a little longer.

Yes, it will be me who makes the determination between ally or thief.

No, I am not paranoid but I am armed and definitely not starving.

The person who would steel my means of survival such as the all important food/water makes that decision an easy one. That my antagonistic little friend is no different than trying to shoot me.

Murder fantasy, I think not! It would seem that you have the hang up on murder. I'm talking about living and all you think about it would appear is the worst case scenario of what gun use and defense can lead to.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Why would one need guns alongside first aid kits and canned food?

To keep your kits and canned food in your possession of course.

Who's gonna take it?

You're telling me you'd rather treat another human being as a target rather than aid them with your supplies? Now I see the purpose of prepping. Murder fantasy.

Wow, how naive you sound.

If all hell was to break loose (i.e financial system collapsing, supermarkets closing, people not having easy access to food) there WILL 100% BE bad minded people and gangs who will rob others for their possessions during these hard times. If you think everyones going to be a friendly good samaritan sharing their supplies with the fellow man then you are well mistaken.

Plus, having a gun doesn't mean you will automatically shoot other humans, I think you'll find pointing a firearm at someone is often alone a good enough defence mechanism.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by GoldenBrain71

So when will this determination be made? When they stumble across "your property", or would they have to actually have penetrated your defenses? Must they also be armed? What if you kill the only doctor within 100 miles because he was desperate for food?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Who's gonna take it?

In a perfect world of pollyannish fantasy you'd have a point. Unfortunately those who have planned for nothing whatsoever will be those who get desperate enough to take by force or deception from those who had foresight.

History is chock full of examples, so I ask " how would you safely disern between those who would benignly recieve aid and move on, and those who would "take" aid by force, deception and ambush?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DazDaKing

So in a SHTF scenario, you're armed. That means you're protecting something, which makes you a target.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DPrice
Dude they keep urine in bottles, of course they're nuts.

Now that's just silly.

If you were in an Alaskan cabin surrounded by show and it was to cold to go outside and you didn't have running water then what would you suggest doing with the waste? If you kept it in a bottle for disposal later would you be nuts?

You know there are a bunch of people around the world who drink their urine for health reasons. I think it's gross but are they nuts? I don't think so and for that matter it really isn't up to me to label them as such.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

reply to post by DazDaKing

So in a SHTF scenario, you're armed. That means you're protecting something, which makes you a target.

I don't get your logic. Yes, being armed would be a more ideal situation than being ABSOLUTELY DEFENSELESS besides a good heart and some supplies to trade (give away) in hope of avoiding conflict. This doesn't mean you walk around with a bloody AK-47 making everyone aware of your prescense and armory lol. It just means, if you were in your shelter with your family and a bunch of thugs attempt to loot your residence you can defend yourself, especially in the case in which they were armed in some way too.

Are you suggesting that everyone should be unarmed and show good intentions and no one will get hurt? Thats ridiculous. When/If # hits the fan, alot of people will fully embrace their animalistic side and it will be survival of the fittest again. You have to have some line of defense to prevent the worst, but at the same time that doesn't mean you just kill people, I'm talking literally the most dire situation where people would actually kill you to take your supplies. Not to mention the amount of other crime that would happen if law and order collapsed (rape e.t.c). What will you do if an armed person raids your house, at that point if you are unarmed and he/she is a badminded person you and your family will be completely under their control and will. Thats not good in situations where the darkest shades of the human heart would reveal themselves.
edit on 21-12-2012 by DazDaKing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

Some "preppers" are overzealous boy scouts ("be prepared") and others are paranoid. But (and I am quoting from a prepper friend) "they made fun of Noah also and he was right." The Mormon church even recommends that its members have at least 6 months of food, etc in storage (go ask Mitt). All I can say is that it should be viewed as insurance and it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

reply to post by GoldenBrain71

So when will this determination be made? When they stumble across "your property", or would they have to actually have penetrated your defenses? Must they also be armed? What if you kill the only doctor within 100 miles because he was desperate for food?

As I said, I would offer anybody food who isn't actively trying to steel it. If they stumble across my large non fenced property armed or unarmed I would be neighborly until they show me a reason not to be neighborly.

As far as the doctor is concerned, I imagine he would be the last person to go without food since he will be in high demand and food will be great barter. Besides, I know who the doctors are around these parts. Do you, or do you run them off along with all the other people you encounter due to your pleasant personality?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou
reply to post by DaTroof

No ones talking abjout murder apart from yourself. These people are talking about their right to bear arms - A right given to them by the American leaders and the Constituion before the criminal cartel began ripping it apart.

It's you who are suggesting murder and negativity...why?

Ohhhhhhhhh, you just want to hold the gun, not fire it? OK. You can hold an unloaded gun.

I'm not American, and I've never held a gun in my life. You clearly talking provocative rubbish, for rubbishes sake aha.

I rest my case.
edit on 21-12-2012 by ObservingYou because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

To address the question as to whether or not "preppers" are potential "terrorists".....that is completely ridiculous. Terrorists are people who plan acts of terror against the citizens not the ones who want to prepare to survive such attacks.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

It depends on the belief. If you have irrational beliefs about the end of civil society then yes, you could be classed as deluded or mentally ill.

It's about what a belief is based in.

We've seen this for the last week on here, with plenty of delusions about last weeks tragedy. If something is based on evidence and reality then there is no reason to believe that someone is mentally unwell. But if prepping is as a result of something completely unfounded and with no evidence other than belief based on rumour and suspicion then there is reason to think that the person is not mentally sound.

For example, if someone is stocking up and planning for the end of the $, that's a plausible reason to prepare, because currencies HAVE collapsed before, there is EVIDENCE to suggest it will happen again, every day we turn on the news there is another mention of the Fiscal Cliff and more talk about the potential collapse of the €.

But if you're prepping for the invasion of Martians, there is cause to suspect mental illness, because that is based on nothing but belief. There is no evidence for it, no proof, nothing but suspicion, fear and delusion.

Whether someone is dangerous or not is down to the psychology of that prepper. If their delusion is so strong that they openly talk about needing to kill people, or having to remove the president because he's a lizard person, then yes, they should be deemed a threat.

It's not as simple as saying "all those preparing for anything are delusional" because some things are more plausible than others, they are based in reality, there is precedence or genuine probability.

Reasonable reasons to prep -
Civil breakdown
Currency collapse
Disease outbreak
Natural disaster
War

Unreasonable reasons to prep -
Zombie apocalypse
Mayan apocalypse
Niburu
Alien invasion
NWO

It's about reality based on evidence and precedence, against delusion based on unfounded belief and something with no evidence to back it up. And the stability of the individual is assessed based on the level of their delusion and the nature of their fears and intended actions in such a scenario, and what would lead them to believe that scenario is imminent or happening.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Talliostro
Hm well some of them are rather strange from an european perspective to say the least. But nuts? no, not in my eyes.
But I'm curious: Doesn't the US Gov gives advice to have provisions, food and such things at home for at least 14 days?
Because the german goverment advices strongly to have food, water and a provisions stock for 30 days at all time at home to be prepared if a major disaster should strike. They even give out lists of things to have at home for this case. I wonder why it is so different here and in the US.

FEMA guidelines are to stockpile 3 days of food and water. Below is a PDF link from the FEMA website with these recommendations. I'm not sure how they can call 3 days a stockpile. I think most middle class people in the US have at least a week or more worth of food at all times so this 3 days recommendation seems to be just a funny joke.

FEMA Guidelines

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Who's gonna take it?

You Anti-Gun, Anti-Prep folks bewilder me. You speak in a manner which shows you live in a liberal fantasy land, which exists only in your mind.

It also tells me that you've never seen a really rough time in your life.

Bad things happen, daily.

Bad people exist. Period.

Bad people live by taking from those that have, daily.

In a really bad situation, to think this will not be an issue is pure fatasy.

I assume for you, it's really a moot point, since you will not be prepared, and trust "Daddy Government" to take care of you, since you can't do it yourself.

Have fun in the FEMA camp, if it comes to that.

I believe that "Da Troof" of the situation, will be cold and stark in comparison to your warm and fuzzy fantasy.

As for me, I'll be basically prepared to be self sufficient and be able to protect me and mine.

Are there some folks that really take prepping overboard? Maybe. But most folks that are prepping are doing it simply to survive and protect that which they have worked their whole lives to build and protect (their family, their domicile, etc) , anyone who thinks that is a bad thing has simply lost the plot.

Good luck, I feel you and your ilk will need it.

I myself will choose to rely on personal strength and ability, rather than ... luck and government.

X

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Well said 'detachedindividual', I agree.

From what I gathered alot of the preppers in America are basing their decisions on the fact that the monetary system may collapse, which is actually quite a plausible outcome and could potentially cause unbelievable anguish for those who were completely unprepared - physically and mentally.

For this reason, I think its ridiculous to name these people crazy or TERRORISTS?! Thats just MSM making these people bad in the publics eye so their reasons are overlooked on any logical scale. The preppers may be slightly more paranoid in nature, but there is definitely nothing silly, stupid or crazy about stocking up supplies and keeping a defense weapon (If I was an American and could legally bear arms then I probably would, just incase for the worst possible scenarios) and if # actually hits the fan in that manner they will have the last laugh.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
If you want to know why it's great idea to be prepared by stocking up on food, starting a garden...etc., then visit the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains in North Carolina or all over Appalachia for that matter. There you will find people who lived through the great depression. They still to this day will not let you leave their houses without eating something and will take great offense if you refuse.

This hospitality comes from living through hard times with no government assistance. Those wonderful people are preppers to the core and some are even nuts but it is not for me to make that judgment. I'll happily accept their generosity and excellent hillbilly cooking.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by DazDaKing
Well said 'detachedindividual', I agree.

From what I gathered alot of the preppers in America are basing their decisions on the fact that the monetary system may collapse, which is actually quite a plausible outcome and could potentially cause unbelievable anguish for those who were completely unprepared - physically and mentally.

For this reason, I think its ridiculous to name these people crazy or TERRORISTS?! Thats just MSM making these people bad in the publics eye so their reasons are overlooked on any logical scale. The preppers may be slightly more paranoid in nature, but there is definitely nothing silly, stupid or crazy about stocking up supplies and keeping a defense weapon (If I was an American and could legally bear arms then I probably would, just incase for the worst possible scenarios) and if # actually hits the fan in that manner they will have the last laugh.

Absolutely agree.

The problem I have been seeing all over the world in the last few years boils down to one thing - comprehension of language and meaning and the changing of definitions because of it.

I'll offer a few examples...

In the UK we've had the whole argument about the rights of the free press. We all agree that the press should be free to report. But the problem is that everyone has redefined the term "in the public interest".

The press has a right to investigate and report issues that are genuinely in the public interest, such as corruption, abuse of power, criminality and government failings etc. But the press and government have redefined that to mean "anything that titillates".

Now, the breasts of Kate Middleton or the bum of Prince Harry is deemed to be "in the public interest" when it actually isn't. We have no business making gossip into "must know" news, it's not in the public interest at all, it's in the interests of gossip.

We have the same thing happening here, with people now redefining what a conspiracy is, what evidence is, what reality is. A Youtube video does not constitute evidence. A report by Alex Jones does not mean proof.

News broadcasters have echoed this in reporting, combining the rational with the delusional, mainly because we do it all the time.

Seriously, look at the posts and discussions we have on the front page right now, and then consider that a news source might come here to do some research on the prepper community. They look at threads about movies talking to people, about how 20 little kids murdered in their school "didn't exist" and how their parents are "actors", and then they look at threads about the illuminate and stories picked up from Alex Jones with absolutely no basis in reality...

How are they then going to view a reasonable discussion about the potential collapse of the €?

We do it to ourselves. We have redefined evidence and proof to mean anything as long as it supports a theory. There are 101 examples of it here, where people quote each other as "evidence".

Perhaps if there were not so many people making irrational statements about everything from lizard people to imaginary murder victims the media wouldn't be laughing at anyone who prepares for the likely and plausible scenarios?

Too much discussion here is based on nothing, and it destroys the credibility of the discussions that are actually based in some form of reality.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

In response to the question you posed.

What do preppers think about the ongoing insinuation that because you stock up on relatively modest amounts of food, supplies and in some cases weapons and ammo, in readiness for an unknown even that disrupts service as normal, that it somehow indicates you are unhinged, deranged or even potential terrorists in the making.

I must first state that, I am not a survivalist or prepper. I would be if I had the means to do so; if for no other reason that, I believe the American economy will eventually collapse due to its unsound foundation and current practices.

It is my belief that our MSM, government etc..., has decided that if the populace is prepared for a possible disaster, the government will not be needed by those self sufficient people. This poses a danger to their ultimate goal of controlling the masses. Self sufficiency of the masses is not in the interest of our government; which is why it is looked at as 'nuts' and out of the ordinary.

To quote the Boy Scout motto; "Be Prepared".

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join