It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The opposite of "Lacking"; If you feel "Lack" you aren't happy...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
You know when you are doing something and you wish time would hurry up so that you can be doing the thing that you actually "LIKE" to do?

That is not happiness that is desire, longing, a feeling of lack.

When you are actually doing what you like, do you feel the lack? No. There is only pure enjoyment of the moment.

The opposite of that feeling of "lack" is a feeling of "enjoyment".

So, what would happen if we were to find enjoyment in this moment instead of comparing it to something that gives us even more enjoyment that we can't have presently? We will be more happy since we are focused on enjoying THIS moment, and the lack will be gone since the comparing of "THIS" (what is here) and "THAT" (what you imagine - what you want to be) is gone.

Right now , I am hungry. I can think of delicious things to eat like - cake, donuts, muffins, cookies, but I am not able to buy this stuff at the moment (store is closed) , so if I keep thinking about it and comparing "THIS" (What is here) to "THAT" (what I would like to be), I'll only suffer and lose the enjoyment that is available in THIS moment.

So, in summary, by focusing on what you would rather do, but are not able to do, you create needless suffering for yourself since you cannot choose that preference anyway, and by doing this, you actually "numb" (or lessen) the enjoyment that is available NOW. So whether the enjoyment is "high" or "low", choose to be in ENJOYMENT and choose to do what you enjoy most, or if you can't at the moment, just enjoy THIS. So, do what you enjoy and enjoy what you do. If you cannot choose something more "enjoying" then find a way to enjoy this to keep that enjoyment of your being anyway.

(One of) the secrets to happiness is easier than we think.
edit on 21-12-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-12-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
You just described the revelation that brings many folks to Buddhism. Developing our observer conscience, and detaching from our expectation of outcomes brings happiness via the ability to live in the moment with equanimity.

Sociologically, at least in the US, the population is learning to expect that they should always be happy, having fun, and feeling valued because media is what they choose to subsist upon. This has led us to the doctor to ask for medication for our depression because we're left with a strong sense of having failed ourselves due to moments, days and weeks of feeling unsatisfied and blue. Just look at the commercials for depression meds.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I enjoyed reading your post because it was what I wanted to be doing.

I am currently working in retail and have been struggling with this idea so I feel it is of relevance for me to provide my input.

Here is my perspective:

Simply put, this issue is a matter of doing vs feeling, or physical and non-physical.

When you are doing you are acting, you are participating physically. Now say you are not happy with what you are physically doing you will desire, you will imagine, you will FEEL something that you would rather be doing and since you cannot experience this desire, this feeling physically, you will experience this idea of lack that you speak of. This perception of lack is only caused because humans are currently fixated on all things physical and if physicality is not experienced, then one perceives a non-existence.

It could be thought of as a limitation of third density consciousness. Third density is the separation of consciousness, therefore an individual who is say, at their job and desire they could be at home sleeping instead will feel lack because they have agreed to the idea that being at work and being at home sleeping are two separate things, one of which is preferred. Remember, third density-wise they are two separate things, but if they were to experience a higher density this individual would see that they are at home sleeping as well.

So with this in mind, perhaps it is necessary for some to stop focusing on their physical reality and more on their non-physical reality, or in other words, stop focusing on what you are doing and focus on what you are feeling. You can be restricted in what you do, but not by what you feel.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

You know when you are doing something and you wish time would hurry up so that you can be doing the thing that you actually "LIKE" to do?

Most people wil encounter this at work. I try and focus on the moments at work because its the only way to avoid falling into a scenario of watching the clock. Watching the clock is death!

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

I agree with your statement 100%. I learned in grade school to look at the clock as little as possible. When I was not focusing on the clock, time seemed to make unexplainable leaps forward. Could it then be said that the more one is aware of their linear time, the slower one perceives it? Could it also be said that FULL awareness of linear time would give one the perception of it stopping altogether?

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by InfinitePerspective

Could it then be said that the more one is aware of their linear time, the slower one perceives it? Could it also be said that FULL awareness of linear time would give one the perception of it stopping altogether?

So to stop time and never age is like becoming time itself. Time Lords.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfinitePerspective
So with this in mind, perhaps it is necessary for some to stop focusing on their physical reality and more on their non-physical reality, or in other words, stop focusing on what you are doing and focus on what you are feeling. You can be restricted in what you do, but not by what you feel.

I really enjoyed reading your post and totally agree with you. I would just say though that focusing on the apparent physical reality is ok as long as it is just seeing the enviroment and feeling the enviroment, sensing sounds and colours and textures. I also just watch the doing, i watch the hands moving about and notice they do it pretty well when they are just watched. I like to hear as far away as i can, listen right to the edge and stay with that and then all the other sounds between are heard as well. It can be fun to move the attention around. It is all about sensing what is present, it keeps you here, and out of time.
Even if a thought comes up, see it or hear it, like you can hear the noise in the enviroment that is just happening. Watch the thought appear and watch it leave.
How can you be lacking when there is so much here? It is only when time (other) and space (other), like you said, enters the picture that it feels bad and there is a feeling of lack. The belief or idea is, I am missing out!! What the mind has failed to recognize it is making itself unhappy by believing in something other that does not exist. There is only ever what is present.
Know there is no 'other' (than what is happening presently) and there will be no lack.
Believe in 'other' and there will be a sense of lack, there will be suffering. It is the human condition to want what is not here, or not want what is here. Humans are always wanting other. Worshipping other. What did God say? Worship no 'other' or you will suffer.
edit on 2-1-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Yes, we do indeed agree.

One thing I must clarify, is that it was not my intention to convey physicality as not okay. Of course it is okay, that is why we are all here, to experience consciousness in physical form. You are spot on when you speak of finding enjoyment in watching the doing and sensing what is present, but you are also aware that all is here and now. You are aware of the beauty of being able to sense this dense reality of matter that you created to experience.

Many are not aware of the here and now however. To them it is simply this infinitely small point in time that passes by at an infinite speed and therefore miss out on what really exists because they are too busy anticipating and worrying about the future, or regretting and reminiscing about the past. There are also those who do cherish the moment, who do not dwell on the past or future, and yet are not happy in the moment. Now if they ENJOY being unhappy in the moment then their is no issue. I'm sure you have recognized individuals who seem to be fine with being miserable and that is okay, that is their choice, their personal preference, as long as there is no lack.

It may seem confusing stating that a person can be happy with being unhappy, but that confusion is only created due to the form of communication of which I speak to you through. At a certain point, words cannot describe certain concepts, they become meaningless. Words too, will develop a lack so to speak, they will begin to leave something to be desired. So, when one feels lack in the physical, in words, in doing, perhaps one should reflect back to the source, the consciousness to seek the solutions for this lack. After all, that is where physicality came from.

new topics

top topics

join