Amazing World's Biggest Photo: 272 Gigapixel Image!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
So what’s so special about this image?

Well, try and identify this guy in that photograph feeding his pigeons on the terrace …

Or the Four Seasons Hotel on the skyline...

I bet you can’t but click on the link HERE and check out this massive 272 Gigapixel image which was taken from the roof of the Chinese Academy of Science located in the central area of Shanghai. The amazingly detailed image won a competition to create the world's largest digital photo. It's not just one shot though; the massive image is 12,000 photos stitched together!

This whopping 272 gigapixels shot of Shanghai was made with a £1000 Canon 7D Camera. You’d need a fast internet connection to get the high definition quickly while zooming.

Now don’t try looking for gals having a bath in the shower. There are none. I tried but couldn’t locate any! Sheeesh!

www.shanghai-272-gigapixels.com...

edit on 21-12-2012 by OrionHunterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
that is awesome

it was slightly more awesome though before i read that it was just tons of pictures stitched togather.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

Posted before but it was a while ago. It's such a cool photo, my favourite bit is this:

That building is frickin epic. I forget what it's called but it's awesome.

Eta: Here we go, Shanghai World Financial Center.
edit on 21-12-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Alright, now THIS is creepy:

(and NO i did NOT make it up...)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

This one's a beauty too...

Any idea what it is?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I just have one question.

Where's Waldo ???

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
That is so awesome, so is the Mount Everest one, But this is cool in it's own way because it's in a urban environment! Thanks for sharing, i'll be checking it out for a few days. Nice to see a post thats not pertaining to 2012. Getting a little old

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Thats amazing! You are right, I was not able to spot either of the mentioned target areas in the picture you put in your post. But when I clicked the link and gained access to the whole image, I was able to find both the pigeon fancier and the four seasons without too much effort.

What an incredible image! And, I am also impressed with the way that the image presents itself, and the zoom functionality is really smooth also.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Now if we had that kind of clarity with the tubes and the face of mars and all the anomalies instead of all the .gifs we would know more about mars

Cool image, the tiled roofs look almost cartoonish there is so much detail.. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I have a very chunky and slow internet connection....

What does a 272 Gigapixel image translate into actual image download size?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
This its even better than the Everest one!! I'm going to be spending some timer with this one! I shoot with a 7D, bloody fantastic camera. S&F!!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by thetiler
Now if we had that kind of clarity with the tubes and the face of mars and all the anomalies instead of all the .gifs we would know more about mars

Cool image, the tiled roofs look almost cartoonish there is so much detail.. Thanks for sharing!

There is always a comment like yours on the first page of a gigapixel picture thread.

These pictures are taken with a high end digital slr camera (DSLR) on a computerised tripod like this.

If you really want to see close up images of Mars go here HiRise and for the Moon go here LRO

These sites can show you images at 50cm/pixel or better.

High res Face on Mars

For a Gigapixel picture the tripod is set up take a series of pictures sometimes thousands in a set method it scans like a TV picture from one side to the other drops a little scans back the other way drops a little again etc etc to all the pictures are taken.

That's why funny anomalies can crop up like people with no legs or legs with no body because the person was on the edge of one of the pictures.

I have a 16mp Sony SLT (DSLR) camera I can take small panoramas automatically in the camera and stitch loads of these together to form a massive image, it will even take a 3D panorama I can watch via my PS3 on my 3D tv.

These types of tripod heads have dropped in price and many amatuer photographers uses them to make timelapse videos along with other equipment such as dollies!

Some people have used goto telescope mounts to use with their cameras to do things like this.
edit on 21-12-2012 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)
edit on 21-12-2012 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

?????what so creepy about it? I'm lost.
edit on 21-12-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

because it says Aurora, not sure why thats creepy though.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
zoom in and you will find ghosts

this gave me a good laugh

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Steffenfield
What does a 272 Gigapixel image translate into actual image download size?

You only download enough to create a (almost) full screen image at the time, so you will be downloading around 1MB of data for each zooming in or panning.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Am I the only one to see the military application ability of such technology??

It boggles the mind what can be done with this. It's a sniper's wettest dream.. especially if you could get this capability in the palm of your hand.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
It's amazing,i think i've seen it before but always gets my attention when i see it.i'm sure the military have had this tech for a while,imagine what they have now though..scary thought.

I'd love to see the process they went though to get this set up & filmed,would an interesting documentery

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
Am I the only one to see the military application ability of such technology??

It boggles the mind what can be done with this. It's a sniper's wettest dream.. especially if you could get this capability in the palm of your hand.

Obviously YOU didn't read how this was done 12,000 pictures stitched together then many hours to process on a computer.

So the sniper would say "HEY" the targets moved

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by rhynouk
It's amazing,i think i've seen it before but always gets my attention when i see it.i'm sure the military have had this tech for a while,imagine what they have now though..scary thought.

I'd love to see the process they went though to get this set up & filmed,would an interesting documentery

Obviously another that doesn't read the OP and jumps to conclusions

How its done

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join