It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It seems like the skeptics have more anxiety than everyone else.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by 3n19m470

Originally posted by boncho
I think skeptics were more willing to accept change since they didn't much care if the world ended or continued on. They simply went on about their business.

On the other hand, the ones flailing their heads and hands about the "Changes" that were coming... Doesn't it seem like they had more problems accepting something might be different in the coming future?

They went about their business? Oh so I was just hallucinating when I saw skeptics belittle and ridicule the 2012 believers at every turn like a feeding frenzy? Ok. Well. That's good to know.

Yes, well it's fair for people to put their 2 cents in when people are posting comments and soliciting responses. As far as belittling and ridicule, it happens on either side. Are we supposed to suddenly feel sorry for the believer crowd now?

Did you want me to shed a tear for those who were let down by the world not ending?

Nah, no more tears need be shed please. But its just, some people know how to keep it classy. And when they don't, it bothers me because then I start to lose my composure. And, besides, you said the skeptics just went about their business, and that is simply not so. And rather than debate that point with me which was the only thing I brought up, you chose to use a "two wrongs make a right" tactic in saying that there was ridicule on both sides. So by that logic we should all cater to the lowest common denominator in our midst? He's acting like a baby and therefore so shall I?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

I was talking about people that lumped Planet X, Nibiru, the Mayan calendar and other such "end of the world" scenarios in general all together and claim they all were going to happen at the same time (Dec 21st). Those very threads you describe were made by people that just read a bunch of stuff and smacked that date on it somehow.

For years I've been reading about all of those above topics. But only recently did the concepts seem to converge.

I'm just as confused as you are, no worries.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by anjuna

Ah, okay. I think I understand now. You were talking about the convergence of those theories into one date themselves. I thought you meant the skeptics who read people's posts making the claims of those events falling on that date misinterpreting what the believers were saying.

In my experience, at least on ATS, the convergence of these events into a single date seems to have sort of happened through a process of elimination. Most people stopped believing in them once they didn't happen on their first few prescribed dates, but some people figured that it was possible they could still come to fruition on December 21st, since there seemed to be so many disparate correlations with that date (substantiated or not.) That's my best guess, at least. I don't know for certain. As you said... I'm as confused as you on that point lol.

Peace.
edit on 12/23/2012 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The forum was flooded with theories and comments as to what "would" be happening for months before the 21st and now it's flooded by people that didn't believe anything would.

I believe the term is called "cause and effect."

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by asher

Personally I think the 2012ers are justified in there beliefs no matter how mundane they seem. To me it seems these are the people who want and are willing to accept change. I mean lets face it the world is going to sh|t and the status quo is obviously not working. So what's wrong with wanting change?

The 2012ers were not justified ever in their fairy tales that were launched one after the other. Just because people pointed out the glaring fallacies in the fairy tales does not mean one way or the other who wants change and who does not. The idea that the status quo is not working is really a statement about your position and nothing else.

There is nothing wrong with making progress. 2012 claims ranged from doom and gloom - hardly progress - to claims of ascension. The latter weren't progress. They were statements of sloth in which the person was looking for the easy button. The stories were nothing more than meek yelps for change without any intent on doing what is really needed - hard work n the part of the individual.

Sorry 2012ers, but there is no easy button and there won't be one. You have to get up on your own and do the hard work to move forward on your own.

I think the hard core skeptics fear change because they feel they have so much invested in there life that they don't want anything to change for better or worse. To me that's sad. How do you advance from that point in life? I'm glad I chose believe in something strange. Life seems so much more fun. I feel like I got that childlike sense of wonder back.

Pointing out the absurdity in the 2012 claims is not the same as denying change.

Trying to suggest that the situation was anything other than attempting to help others understand that con artists were searching for money in the wallets of the gullible is sad.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by anjuna

I was talking about people that lumped Planet X, Nibiru, the Mayan calendar and other such "end of the world" scenarios in general all together and claim they all were going to happen at the same time (Dec 21st). Those very threads you describe were made by people that just read a bunch of stuff and smacked that date on it somehow.

For years I've been reading about all of those above topics. But only recently did the concepts seem to converge.

They didn't converge. These separate fairy tales were attached to 2012 because 2012 was a cash bonanza for frauds and con artists. Drunvalo, Arguelles, Wilcock and others made a bunch of cash because they latched onto 2012. It was a cash cow and plenty of people saw that and ripped off those that could be easily separated from their cash.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by anjuna

They didn't converge. These separate fairy tales were attached to 2012 because 2012 was a cash bonanza for frauds and con artists. Drunvalo, Arguelles, Wilcock and others made a bunch of cash because they latched onto 2012. It was a cash cow and plenty of people saw that and ripped off those that could be easily separated from their cash.

Go ahead, lump the cash cow in there after the fact. People make money off their "predictions" all the time, not *only* having to do with 2012. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. Some of these people genuinely believe they are helping the people who are buying their material, and maybe they are. There is surely all sorts of different content in all of such material. The materials are not *only* about 2012. Writing and lecturing are what these people do best. Would you suggest they deny their own reality and subscribe to yours instead?

I'm only somewhat familiar with David Wilcock and I don't think he's a fraud.

What you so casually label as "fraud" are just mostly honest folk as "misguided" as you claim the rest of us are.

The day will come when your world will be turned upside down, and something you believed before you may no longer be able to. It's okay to let go of the ego. It's a healthy thing to say, "Wow, I just didn't understand it all in context. Now I know better."

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Nothing, happened, nothing at all, whatsoever, zilch, nil, none.
I hope you've learnt your lesson, believe something with no evidence, you're most likely going to be let down.
I think that's life's most important lesson.
Skeptics aren't anxious, they're skeptical, not scared.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Wongbeedman

Too bad, you're missing out.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by anjuna

On what? False hope?
Or did something happen on the day of the "apocalypse"? I hope you're going to say yes.
Enlighten me.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by anjuna

Go ahead, lump the cash cow in there after the fact.

I've been saying that for years. It's not after the fact. it was clear the point of the nonsense as I have stated for years.

People make money off their "predictions" all the time, not *only* having to do with 2012. There's nothing inherently wrong with that.

Sure it is when its fraudulent.

Would you suggest they deny their own reality and subscribe to yours instead?

No, as long as they tell the truth which is a rarity on 2012 issues.

I'm only somewhat familiar with David Wilcock and I don't think he's a fraud.

Check some of his references and see that the referenced material does not support the claims he makes. That is telling a lie.

What you so casually label as "fraud" are just mostly honest folk as "misguided" as you claim the rest of us are.

No. These people are supposed to be so wise and intelligent. So why do they report such lies. why do they misrepresent science to justify their claptrap? The reason is the bottom line.

I don't casually label them frauds. I observe their behavior. I see repeated and purposeful errors. I see lies for dollars.

The day will come when your world will be turned upside down, and something you believed before you may no longer be able to. It's okay to let go of the ego. It's a healthy thing to say, "Wow, I just didn't understand it all in context. Now I know better."

The day will come when you realize that these claims are vacuous and not based on reality. It's healthy to let go of the fakes and con artists and accept the world as it is.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Wow this is priceless. The 2012ers now blame all of us "non-believers" and those who never heard of their precious 2012 crackpot theories for nothing happening!

Sounds like all those religions that preach to kill non-believers because as long as they're alive the Savior will not descend upon us and we'll be stuck here in hell!

And even though they predicted the event accurate to the minute (11:11am GMT) now they say it'll still happen at some other time when they gather enough believers.

Quick question... how does that gang-rape that happened in Delhi a few days ago fit into your picture of "age of enlightenment" and "ascension" and all that??? People are still getting raped, killed and maimed just because.... stop being idiots, smell the coffee and wake up. There's no feel-good god coming to save any of you!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wongbeedman

On what? False hope?
Or did something happen on the day of the "apocalypse"? I hope you're going to say yes.
Enlighten me.

False hope? Quite the opposite. Yes, I think "something" has been happening every day for a long time now.
Are you enlightened yet?

Yes, "something" happened (in the eyes of the seers) and caused "nothing" to happen (in the eyes of the doubters).

Perhaps there was going to be catastrophe and mass meditation caused that probability to not occur.
edit on 25-12-2012 by anjuna because: incomplete sentence

Countdown Dec-2012 - THANKYOU - Smooth-Transitions - Jasmuheen - YouTube
edit on 25-12-2012 by anjuna because: link

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

False hope? Quite the opposite. Yes, I think "something" has been happening every day for a long time now.
Are you enlightened yet?

Yes, "something" happened (in the eyes of the seers) and caused "nothing" to happen (in the eyes of the doubters).

Perhaps there was going to be catastrophe and mass meditation caused that probability to not occur.

Do you ever read your posts out loud? Do you actually HEAR what you're spewing out? Does it ever strike you that you use a computer based on science while at the same time you poo-poo science because the non-believers caused "nothing" to happen?

There was a time when I was afraid lots of innocents would be brainwashed and commit suicide on the fake date. Now I wish you and all of them actually had the guts to do it and rid the human genome of some stupidity.

I'll PAY for your neutering (all of you 2012ers) - I'll refund you after you provide me with proof of the procedure being completed. In fact I'm sure if the skeptics bond together we can open a 2012er free neutering foundation and provide you with the service. Assuming you haven't reproduced yet, although if you're still at reproductive age it may pay off to give you the procedure to prevent further damage to Earth.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by anjuna

There is an excuse for psi not being reproducible. It is called the goat-sheep effect.

Similar excuses can be found in other pseudosciences such as pyramid power. There the excuse is that pyramids can accumulate negative energy.

Learn to live with the fact that nothing happened. That is what happens when the so-called reasoning is flawed or in the case of 2012, fabricated and completely flawed.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nevertheless

Originally posted by asher
It seems that they are mad simply because someone chose to believe something other than what they believe.

How does it seem like that?
The people who believe in it are mad because their beliefs are based on nonsense. In fact, the people who do not believe in this might not even "believe" in other things either. Only accept facts rather than "believe" in random theories.

2012 isn't even the most ridiculous topic on ATS.

It's hard to tell which topic is more ridiculous than the other here.

Or are the skeptics simply mad that so many people are talking about it. Some of these comments seem more like self reassurance.

If we try to use our logic here... Even IF there were more ridiculous theories on this site, it still doesn't make this one not ridiculous. How your logic makes that "self reassurance" is puzzling.

Personally I think the 2012ers are justified in there beliefs no matter how mundane they seem.

Just like religion, people are allowed to believe in whatever nonsense they wish.

To me it seems these are the people who want and are willing to accept change.

I think the obsession in believing in things like this are to fill a void in a somewhat empty life. To make the world seem more dramatic than it is.

I mean lets face it the world is going to sh|t and the status quo is obviously not working. So what's wrong with wanting change?

Most people who are somewhat good-hearted want to change things that have gone bad. Believing in a nonsense theory because of that is still nonsense. The time might be better used to focus on the real world rather than fantasies.

This year has shaped who I am more than any other in my life.

Does that mean that my comment above of filling a void and making life more meaningful was quite accurate?

I think the hard core skeptics fear change because they feel they have so much invested in there life that they don't want anything to change for better or worse.

Not being bothered about nonsense is not being a hard-core skeptic. It's being wise.
It has nothing to do with one's own life.

To me that's sad.

Listen to yourself. You're just making things up as you go, and then shaking our head to the sadness?
You are giving a defense-speech about your own false beliefs and trying to deflect it onto people that have nothing to do with this 2012 nonsense.

How do you advance from that point in life? I'm glad I chose believe in something strange. Life seems so much more fun. I feel like I got that childlike sense of wonder back.

People who do not believe in this nonsense have no "point" to advance from?
This thing is in your head, not in those who didn't believe in this.

So now that we're going into a new age are you happy about the person you are and where your life is heading? If not then I think you've missed the point of 2012
This is defiantly a rant

Ah.. so your 2012 still lives.
Nevermind.

@Nevertheless : I totally agree with everything you've said.

human beings are funny creature that needs HOPE,..even if it means sometimes believing in false/fake hope or things,
because they simply can't stand the *fear* of Uncertainty and feeling 'Emptiness' and feeling 'small' in this vast, mysterious, uncertain Life in our big, vast universe.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join