It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It seems like the skeptics have more anxiety than everyone else.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I kind of agree. It's very popular on ATS to ding the fundamentalists, those "idiots" who believe the Earth was made on October 23, 4004 BC at 9:00 in the morning. We have so much fun with them! So here comes this idea supposedly from the Mayans, whose Long Count Calendar says the Earth was made on August 11, 3114 BC, and some of the same people who criticize the fundamentalists buy off on it.

So, yes, that does produce some anxiety when you realize there really are so many idiots on board here who were willing to believe the Earth would end, err, yesterday, for most of the world. It's pretty disheartening and begs the question of denying ignorance.

Now up until a few days ago all this was going to be the End of the World, period. This was not the "End of the world as we know it.' It was the literal end, brought about by a comet, an asteroid, a planet, a solar flare, or simply by crossing the midpoint of the Galactic Equator. By whatever means, we were going to be toast, literally.

So as it turns out the "three days of darkness when nothing gets through the magnetosphere" didn't happen, and it's still raining or snowing outside, but by gum, the electricity is still on and the dishwasher still works and the cats still are sleeping contentedly. So, do we hear any, "Well, folks, guess I was wrong. Sorry about that!"

No.

Instead we are treated with a litany of responses. Some of them:

1. We never meant the Earth was going to be destroyed literally. We meant [insert one here] a) metaphorically, b) symbolically, c) in another dimension of space/time. d) in our hearts.

2. Actually, something really did happen but you are not enlightened enough to see or feel it. Only we who are advanced know what has really happened.

3. This is the dawn of a New Age, but it will take you awhile to feel the effects.

4. Your chakras have taken on a new vibrational level.

5. Only those with ears to hear will understand the True Message.

6. The world is really messed up and we have to change it!

7. You skeptics have more anxiety than anyone else.

Umm, what about the world blowing up and all that?

8. We never actually said that.

edit on 12/21/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I don't have any anxiety. I'm just right 99% of the time. It's fun coming in here over and over and being right, there's a lot of crazy people on this site. But any place that has both the crazies and the sane skeptics is a great place :-)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RobinB022

I respect the way you replied. Thanks for explaining everything without taking up such a defensive position. Everybody on ATS should post like you. The last thing you said was true. To me 2012 was about finding yourself realizing what you want and finding the path that's best for you. And I did. My whole thought process and belief system works perfect for me.

edit on 22-12-2012 by asher because: Cuz

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ParaSpy2012

No problem man, it's cool. I think the problem I have is that as a person who believes 2012 was a good thing I am grouped with people who thought everyone would die.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Well as a crazy person I think you just have a limited view of reality. But this is a great place for that type of debate and Im glad I found this site.

edit on 22-12-2012 by asher because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

No. There is no "we" I'm only speaking for myself and writing about my observations. I am not part of any group. And I have not discussed my beliefs with anyone not even friends and family. I never believed the earth would blow up or everyone would die. You go me all fvcked up.
edit on 22-12-2012 by asher because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
I think skeptics were more willing to accept change since they didn't much care if the world ended or continued on. They simply went on about their business.

On the other hand, the ones flailing their heads and hands about the "Changes" that were coming... Doesn't it seem like they had more problems accepting something might be different in the coming future?

They went about their business? Oh so I was just hallucinating when I saw skeptics belittle and ridicule the 2012 believers at every turn like a feeding frenzy? Ok. Well. That's good to know.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3n19m470

I think skeptics were more willing to accept change since they didn't much care if the world ended or continued on. They simply went on about their business.

On the other hand, the ones flailing their heads and hands about the "Changes" that were coming... Doesn't it seem like they had more problems accepting something might be different in the coming future?

They went about their business? Oh so I was just hallucinating when I saw skeptics belittle and ridicule the 2012 believers at every turn like a feeding frenzy? Ok. Well. That's good to know.

Yes, well it's fair for people to put their 2 cents in when people are posting comments and soliciting responses. As far as belittling and ridicule, it happens on either side. Are we supposed to suddenly feel sorry for the believer crowd now?

Did you want me to shed a tear for those who were let down by the world not ending?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

This would have to be... Oh, I'd say about #73 on my top 100 list of self-centered, egotistical, lowdown, dirty, shameless acts of self servitude.

Kinda like people making stuff up to profit off of the idea of the world ending?

Or is that #72 ?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

reply to post by 3n19m470

This would have to be... Oh, I'd say about #73 on my top 100 list of self-centered, egotistical, lowdown, dirty, shameless acts of self servitude.

Kinda like people making stuff up to profit off of the idea of the world ending?

Or is that #72 ?

Thats gotta be at least in the top 50!

edit on 12/22/2012 by theUNKNOWNawaits because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The only people that I heard that the world was on ending on 2012 were the survivalist psychos that blamed "this" global demise on things like; Obama, economy, fear getting your weapons taken away and other stupid beliefs. NOBODY ever said the world would end on 2012 but I do agree with the OP that this time does usher an era of enlightenment. I'm seeing enlightenment everywhere I look but again, I'm LOOKING for it.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The survivalist definatly went HAM in 2012. But it's still good information. If anyone is mad that people profited off the 2012 date well thats why it's called capitalism welcome to America.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
If the 2012'ers honestly believe that the Mayans, Chinese, Indians, etc. could have predicted the End of the World aeons ago, they should probably get themselves checked into their nearest mental health facility.

A better question would be perhaps, ATS! Why is the 2012 board still here?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Who the heck ever said "the world [was] going to end" anyway?

More likely this was an overgeneralized mistranslation somewhere along the line. Probably by some "Doubter" who couldn't understand the information s/he was being presented at the time, so lopped it all into the "loony" category.

No matter how "crazy" the "prediction" I doubt anyone truly believed the world was simply going to go poof.

EDIT: Maybe "something" did end, but it wasn't the world. Furthermore, if it was "the world" (as we know and experience it holographically) we wouldn't be able to prove it. Perhaps we all collectively woke up in another timeline, a parallel universe, another dimension. There would be no way to scientifically measure it to satisfy the human mind.
edit on 23-12-2012 by anjuna because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-12-2012 by anjuna because: spelling/typo

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by anjuna

Actually, a lot of people put forward the hypothesis that Nibiru would make its devastating approach on December 21st, that some other body like a massive bolide would strike the Earth on that date and cause a mass extinction, that a physical crustal flip would devastate the Earth, that global thermonuclear war would take place, that hostile extraterrestrials would invade the planet, or that a sudden geomagnetic reversal would weaken the magnetosphere sufficiently to disable global technology to a degree capable of causing a financial and logistical calamity for our species. There were all manner of predicted or hypothesized events associated with the date that would have been existential threats to humanity if they had actually taken place.

I doubt many people (if anyone) mean the Earth cracking in two or vanishing into thin air spontaneously when they say "the end of the world." The clearly implied and inferable meaning of "the end of the world" in this context is, "the end of our social order and civilization as it exists currently, and/or the end of - or an immediate existential threat to - our species."

Even biblically, for that matter, the term "end of the world" only refers to the Earth being renewed and a new Jerusalem dwelling on it, with sinners existing outside it the city in a state of perpetual suffering. And that's about as extreme an "end of the world" scenario as I've seen anyone adopt belief in.

So saying that no one suggested the possibility of an apocalyptic "end of the world" seems like splitting hairs to me. In my opinion some people most assuredly did.

That said, I still agree with the point of Springer's official topic, which is to implore ATSers not to sling mud or lord the failure of predictions over people in a hostile or condescending manner.

Peace.
edit on 12/23/2012 by AceWombat04 because: Added link

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Again, I can't find anywhere an even half-legitimate opinion that "Nibiru" (again, depending on your personal definition) was going to collide with Earth. I can, however, find many accounts that if such an object exists it is very far out in our solar system but that doesn't mean it can't have (magnetic) effects on other bodies in the solar system.

Your posts shows just how many theories get lumped into one general statement. It's like the "telephone" game where, by the time the words are whispered to the 10th person in line, the statement is all jumbled up and no longer makes sense.

This of course does not rule out other meteors possibly colliding with earth in the near (or distant) future.
edit on 23-12-2012 by anjuna because: clarity

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by anjuna

Well, first of all, your post was not solely about Nibiru. (Nor was mine.) It was about any suggestions of "the end of the world" associated with December 21, 2012. Such suggestions were most certainly made.

Secondly, no, this is not a random lumping together of various doom predictions into the 2012 phenomenon. At least not on my part. There were plenty of people linking the 2012 phenomenon with Nibiru on ATS and elsewhere. Such correlations were definitely suggested. I see that you registered only this month, so it's possible you weren't around when Nibiru was more in vogue. But there was a period a few years back when Nibiru was being mentioned in virtually every front page topic on this site, and in several of them it was suggested that Nibiru's approach might be in 2012 either on December 21, or as a harbinger of sorts of the apocalypse to come on that date.

I concede that digging through "Ask ATS" to look for example proves unfruitful as this was a while back, but it did happen. My memory attests to it, as will the memories of other long time ATS members. Believe me. It was also mentioned on numerous other websites. Other times it was more vague, like, "could it be that this is what happens when the Mayan Long Count ends?" etc. You can still find a few scant examples, though:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not all of those posts represent belief in that correlation by the OP (though some do,) but they do reflect them.

Again, I want to reiterate that this isn't an "I told you so." That's not my attitude, because I never did "tell anyone so." I maintained an open mind. However, the only way to learn from mistaken hypotheses is to at least acknowledge when they are proven erroneous. And suggesting that no one erroneously indicated the possibility of a colloquial "end of the world" isn't doing that in my opinion.

As you say, no, this does not preclude catastrophic events in the near or distant future. In fact, they are all but inevitable. Most scientists agree that it is only a matter of time until, for instance, a species threatening near Earth object hits us.

Peace.
edit on 12/23/2012 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

Peace.

I have been all over the Internet and on other forums and know all about the Nibiru and Mayan calendar and other doomsday talk.

I wasn't saying it wasn't openly discussed, I was debating whether anyone came outright and said "end of the world" and literally thought that all of a sudden existence would go poof. That's all.

Anyway, I'm definitely not arguing with you.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by anjuna

Well, I'm not trying to argue either.
Maybe I misinterpreted your post? You said that you felt the perception that people had suggested "the end of the world" in association with the date in question was likely the result of an overgeneralized mistranslation. That's what confused me, because people were clearly associating "the end of the world" with 12/21/2012 and, as you pointed out, no one meant the literal vanishing or destruction of the planet as a physical whole when talking about "the end of the world."

That's what is confusing me. I don't understand where the overgeneralized mistranslation factors into people reading the myriad posts and articles associating such events with the date in question. Can you explain what I'm failing to understand? Because I think we are having some sort of miscommunication if that isn't what you meant.

Peace.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join