It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newtown & Gun Control distract from Democrates caving to Republicans on Social Security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Happy Winter Solstice everyone.

Newtown shootings have been all over the news for a week and all we hear out of Washington is Gun Control. The Fiscal Cliff nonsense seems to have gone underground.

Now, while I am in favor of assault weapons bans and less guns everywhere, I don't think it is an urgent issue requiring rush legislation. I think it is a tool being used to distract the population from a serious threat to our rights as citizens and tax payers.

The Democrates seem to be caving 100% to republician demands for cuts to Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid in order to avoide this made up "Fiscal Cliff".

Social Security is solvent untill 2035 and by removing the $102,000 (I believe) earnings cap on impounds would be down right healthly in perpetuity. The Universal Medical Systems need some tweeking but not urgently and could be largely fixed by 1) getting rid of caps on the amount of earnings one pays into the system and 2) the ability to negotiate prices for drugs and services with 'Health' providers.

The republican tools are looking to get their hand on these funds for the enrichment of their masters in the boardrooms of the US and world.

But our buddies the democrates are, one more time, letting them get away with extortion. WTF??? Where is the AARP? Where is anybody.

Again, happy soltice.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I disagree that the fiscal cliff is a non-issue, the debt needs to be addressed.

I also support cuts to social security and medicare. I think there should be income and health care available to the elderly, but by reducing federal spending I would hope to see a shift to more efficient care systems focusing on prevention and increased local/community responsibility in administration.

Cutting programs at the national level does not necessarily mean the end of them throughout society.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

Well said, thank you. But I was really interested in people's thoughts on the psychological sleight of hand that seems to be going on more then the merits.

Regarding the merits of Social Security, et al - I truly believe that Universal Health care and Pension at the National Level is desirable and cost effective. If you leave it to the States you will have a mess with some states doing nothing and others doing much (as many programs are now).

Cutting defense and HomeLand security is a much better way (and more humane and ethical - unless you are a 1%er) to save money and would go a long way to cutting the deficits. All this money spent on Homeland security hasn't made us a bit more secure nor have the trillions spend on the wars of the 21st century done anything except enrich the tyrants.

Killing people is what we do in this country - maybe it's time to change - Karma ya know.

new topics

join