It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesome pic of Norfolk

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I found this pic on the Aviationist blog, along with a good question. The question is "Has the Navy learned from Pearl Harbor?" The short answer, based on this picture is "No." Granted, an attack now would not be nearly as "easy" to pull off as in 1941, but still, it's amazing how concentrated things are still.

theaviationist.com...

We have, from top towards bottom:

USS Eisenhower CVN-69
USS George H W Bush CVN-77
USS Enterprise CVN-65 (Decommissioning, to be replaced by CVN-80)
USS Bataan LHD-5
USS Abraham Lincoln CVN-72
USS Harry S Truman CVN-75
USS Kearsarge LHD-3 (in for emergency repairs)-Not sure which is which, but only four LHDs based in Norfolk
USS Wasp LHD-1 (not deployed in any significant role in many years)-Not sure which is which, but only four LHDs based in Norfolk
Unidentified San Antonio LPD (Possibly USS New York LPD-21)
USS Iwo Jima LHD-7
edit on 12/20/2012 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

What am I missing here?

Don't they have naval stations all over set up the same way? This is considerably different from Pearl harbor.

edit on 12/20/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/20/2012 by BrokenAngelWings33 because: add

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Yup that's is the USS new York. Cool looking ship. Drive by it every da. Dont forget the berthing barge for enterprise. Apl-61. It the big white thing between the bush and the enterprise on the quay wall

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Will CVN-80 be named Enterprise?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Radar would pick off whoever got "close" hundred of miles away. Then a wall of hell would erupt from the decks of those puppies.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
bloody awesome!
thanks for sharing!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I would disagree with you on that one.

However I'd say no one would get close without us knowing way in advance

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

You name 5 carriers... but there are only 3 in the pic. I spent many years on those piers, until 2009. The only real danger I think exists is the fact that international port where all of the foreign goods come in is down river from the base. Every cargo/container ship floats right past the fleet on its way to the port terminal. How hard would it be to get a nuke in one of those containers overseas and then detonate it right in front of the carriers. From what I could tell, it would be very easy if the bad guys could get it past security in the country or origin.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
There are definitely 5 carriers there. They're in the picture and I work on one of them. Traffic validates it as well.

I think they do like scan every container with radiation scanners. Nuclear bombs put off a pretty big rad signature.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

The Pearl Harbor reference was because on December 7, all the ships, and all the planes were docked/parked right next to each other, in very easy to target groups. They were put that way to make it easier to prevent sabotage over the weekend, but when the Japanese attacked, they were easy to hit targets. Just like these are docked next to each other here.

The odds of someone being able to hit them the way they did in 1941 are very slim, which is why the short answer is no. The actual answer is much longer, and boils down to our early warning systems working better than they did in 1941.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

There are two at the first dock, then Enterprise and Bataan, then the dock past them has the last two.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
With full compliments of aircraft and crews that is an enormous concentration of firepower. It's also a hell of a lot of money sunk in to those flat tops. I've always loved the view from the bridge there but I'm always the one driving so I rarely get to see much while heading over to the Eastern shore.

If they can get through on 9/11 they could do it again.
Good point.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by NightFlight

Yes, it's going to be USS Gerald Ford (CVN-78) to be commissioned in 2015 (2013 launch), USS John F. Kennedy (CVN-79) 2018 launch, 2020 commission, then USS Enterprise (CVN-80) 2023 launch, 2025 commission. CVN-81 and beyond have yet to be named.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

That's some serious hardware right there-I doubt anything would get close enough to harm them.

Any how I thought you were talking about the UK Norfolk:

Which is also awesome,but in a different way.
Sorry for off topic,carry on.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by truttseeker
There are definitely 5 carriers there. They're in the picture and I work on one of them. Traffic validates it as well.

I think they do like scan every container with radiation scanners. Nuclear bombs put off a pretty big rad signature.

Look again... the first 3 ships there are carriers. The 4th is an Amphib.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

As I said in my list, the fourth is the Bataan, but the two after her are Nimitz Class. There are five full deck, and all four amphib carriers.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

As I said in my list, the fourth is the Bataan, but the two after her are Nimitz Class. There are five full deck, and all four amphib carriers.

Oh, you are right! I have never seen 5 in port before, and all of the Haze Gray looks the same from afar

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
With full compliments of aircraft and crews that is an enormous concentration of firepower. It's also a hell of a lot of money sunk in to those flat tops. I've always loved the view from the bridge there but I'm always the one driving so I rarely get to see much while heading over to the Eastern shore.

If they can get through on 9/11 they could do it again.
Good point.

of course they could get thru!!

they were allowed to get thru--------hello, anyone home??

911 was a false flag, that is long ago established!

everyone seems so enamoured over the beautiful grey killing machines, they seem to forget that pearl harbour event was a false flag also.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

There is currently one deployed to the Middle East, one deployed to WESTPAC, and I believe one additional available, one soon to be available to deploy. Of the entire carrier fleet, almost all of them are down for maintenance/refit right now, because they've kept pushing their routine and minor maintenance down times back because of ops.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

There is currently one deployed to the Middle East, one deployed to WESTPAC, and I believe one additional available, one soon to be available to deploy. Of the entire carrier fleet, almost all of them are down for maintenance/refit right now, because they've kept pushing their routine and minor maintenance down times back because of ops.

I know the tempo all too well... 6 gulf deployments on 4 carriers in 13 years.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join