It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lacking GOP support, Republicans yank ‘fiscal cliff’ ‘Plan B’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
By Oliver Knox

In a stinging setback for Republican House Speaker John Boehner, a lack of support from inside his own party for his “fiscal cliff” fall-back plan forced him late Thursday to cancel a much-trumpeted vote on the measure.

“The House did not take up the tax measure today because it did not have sufficient support from our members to pass,” Boehner said in a written statement released after an emergency meeting of House Republicans.The measure, dubbed “Plan B,” would have let Bush-era tax cuts expire on income above $1 million annually, while extending them for everyone else. It appeared that Boehner faced a rebellion from conservatives opposed to any tax hike, while House Democrats starved the bill of their support, making passage impossible.

Plan B
edit on 093131p://5226 by mike dangerously because: put link in.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
That's absolutely embarrassing.

Being the Party of No is one thing, but being the Party of internal civil war is another.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

Fun and games,y'all.The 3 ring fiscal cliff circus continues despite claims to the contrary from both sides of the so-called aisle,this is a plot to foist austerity upon the middle class.I think they want their neo-fudalism and they want it now.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
It would not have made it through the Senate and the President said he would not sign it anyway was my info.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike dangerously
reply to post by mike dangerously

Fun and games,y'all.The 3 ring fiscal cliff circus continues despite claims to the contrary from both sides of the so-called aisle,this is a plot to foist austerity upon the middle class.I think they want their neo-fudalism and they want it now.

I couldn't agree more. They all need run out. All of them. Boehner thinks he has a headache now? I've been reading plenty about a hard push after Christmas to insure the new Congress has a different Speaker. He's a man with no moral compass, nor values of his own and he's old enough in that office to be well among those who helped CREATE this whole nightmare. He IS part of the problem, not the solution. Although for Plan B? Sounds like everyone pretty much hated this one.

The vote had initially been scheduled for 7:30 p.m. But House Republican leaders’ vote counting showed up coming up short. Rather than suffer a defeat in a floor vote, they pulled the bill.

Earlier, the White House had pressed Boehner to stick with negotiations with Obama and threatened to veto “Plan B,” which top Senate Democrats mocked as “dead on arrival” in the upper chamber.

Sounds to me like Republicans were telling him to stop making fools of them all with stupid ideas that have 0 chance of even being heard in the Senate. Since that IS 100% within Reid's power there.

Now Obama and Reid are playing Politics with this fantasy land notion of all tax hikes now,..and some vague, yet to be defined spending cuts ..well..sometime later when they get to it. Yeah.. RIGHT..... Like they promised Reagan they would fix the borders after he agreed to the Amnesty back then. Uh-Huh... They have the best track record on keeping their word for these little bargains. ..not.

Having said that? THIS should get Boehner removed from Office, as far as I'm concerned..and NOT just removed from the Speaker's chair...I mean removed for cause from OFFICE.

Boehner shrugged off Reid’s comments.
“After today, Senate Democrats and the White House are going to have to act on this measure,” he told reporters. “And if Senate Democrats and the White House refuse to act, they’ll be responsible for the largest tax hike in American history.”
Source

It isn't Dem or Repub on this...and I'm horrified to see some are amused by this. We're about to go off an economic cliff from a combination of no less than 4 completely separate and different factors combining in a short time ........and I see people in Washington on all sides working for themselves, not the Nation, They are almost gleefully taking us right OVER the Cliff.

Remember..and NEVER forget....when all this is over. The President and ONLY the President has the power to ORDER both houses of Congress to sit there like spoiled children right to the end of the year and work...or sit and pout. Whatever. However, he can FORCE them to BE there. He's choosing not to. This is politics on ALL sides.
We're screwed in Jan.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
All I want for christmas is a brand new government, a brand new government, a brand new government...........
All I want for christmas is a brand new government, because the one we got sucks ass.

My new christmas hit copyright TKDRL

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
It appears Plan B was choreographed into political history to make it appear that the Republicans *tried* to compromise but the Democrats were being stubborn asses.

Its looking really bad for the military industrial complex ATM. The -->Pentagon think tank must be considering provocative False Flag operations like we've seen historically in similar economic times. It would be too obvious if the MC sprang something in the media immediately after the vote killed their funding.

Obama can keep pointing at the economic recovery and apparently doesn't need a "New Deal" plan like Roosevelt used to get out of the great US depression of the 1920's and 30's. Instead we get a bunch of "New Town" childrens Funerals to keep us pacified on the boob tube while the millionaires fight over the tax Tables.

new topics

top topics

join