It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dec. 21, 2012 - What are the Real facts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I don't believe the world is going to end anymore than I believed it would end with the Y2K scare but that being said, are there any real facts based in hard science that points to Anything happening on this date?

I came across this bit of interesting stuff from LunarScience lunarscience.nasa.gov...

Mayan Calendar: The Maya calendar, which is made up different cycles of day counts, does not end this year. Rather, one cycle of 144,000 days (394 years) ends and the next cycle begins.

Mayan Prophecy: The ancient Maya did not predict the end of the world or any disaster in December 2012. Such doomsday predictions are a modern hoax.

Planet Nibiru: Nibiru is probably the minor name of a god found in ancient Mesopotamian writing. There is no planet named Nibiru, and the fictional books by economist Zecharia Sitchin about a civilization on this planet are a hoax.

Rogue Planet Headed for Earth: For the past decade there have been reports of a rogue object (Planet X, or Nibiru, or Hercubolus, or even Comet Elenin) that will collide with Earth in December 2012. These claims are not true. If such a threatening world existed, it would be one of the brightest objects in the sky, and astronomers would have been tracking it for years. If it existed, its gravity would be distorting the orbits of planets, especially Mars and Earth. Astronomers know that it does not exist.

Planet Alignments: There is no alignment of planets in Dec 2012. There is an approximate lining up of the Earth and Sun and the center of our Galaxy in late December, but this happens every year. In any case, planet alignments have no effect on the Earth.

Pole Shift: There is nothing strange this year about either the magnetic poles or the rotational poles of the Earth. The magnetic polarity changes every million years or so, but that is not happening now, and it probably takes thousands of years when it does happen. A sudden change in the rotational axis has never happened and is not possible. If there were any change in the Earth’s rotation, it would be instantly apparent by failure of our GPS systems.

Increasing Disasters: Our planet is behaving normally in 2012, although we see more and more news stories about natural disasters. There has been no increase in earthquakes or volcanic eruptions. There has been an increase in extreme weather, including both droughts and floods, which are partly attributable to global warming, but this has nothing to do with a 2012 doomsday.

Solar Outbursts: The Sun’s ongoing 11-year activity cycle is expected to peak in 2013, not 2012. Solar outbursts (flares and CMEs) can damage orbiting satellites but will not hurt us on the surface. The strength of the 2013 solar maximum is predicted to be lower than average, not higher.

Bunker Conspiracy: Accusations of a massive government cover-up are nonsense. No government could hide an incoming planet or silence hundreds of thousands of scientists. Rumors that huge bunkers have been built in the U.S. or elsewhere to shelter the elite are lies. Apparently a few people are building private shelters, but their fear of 2012 is misplaced and they are wasting their money.

Scaring Children: The group most vulnerable to doomsday claims is children. Teachers report that many of their students are frightened and some are even considering suicide. This is the most tragic consequence of the 2012 hoax.

The End of the World: The idea of the sudden end of the world by any cause is absurd. The Earth has been here for more than 4 billion years, and it will be several more billion years before the gradual brightening of the Sun makes our planet unlivable. Meanwhile there is no known astronomical or geological threat that could destroy the Earth.

Cosmophobia: Many young people write to me that they are scared of astronomy. When they read about some new discovery, the first thing they think is that it might hurt them, even if it is happening in a distant galaxy. There is no reason for such fears, which I call cosmophobia (fear of the universe). This rash of concern seems to be the result of too many conspiracy theories and sensational stories featured on the Internet and irresponsible news outlets. Astronomical objects are so distant that they cannot threaten the Earth. Please don’t be afraid of the Sun or the planets or comets or asteroids. The universe is not your enemy.

They give links to these websites: 2012hoax.org... aer.aas.org... astrobiology.nasa.gov...

Now contrast that with the so called 2012 fact websites which read like a bunch of nut jobbers : 2012facts.net... www.december212012.com... ( you cant say your all about facts then fill your content with speculations and wild predictions based on some new age belief system)

I am a bit saddened that nothing at all will happen. No planetary alignment even for the sake of neato science's sake.

Of course you may say this Is the official company line by the powers that be so there is no panic. If you have a credible source that has facts and doesn't come across as nutjobbers, I'd like to hear about it. I'd like to believe there is something more to this somehow, but I'm just not seeing it.
edit on 20-12-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The winter solstice will occur and we'll have the longest night of the year and that's a fact

Everything is just speculation of random occurrences that may or may not happen at any given time.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

"The winter solstice will occur and we'll have the longest night of the year and that's a fact"
Thats not a fact yet

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
One thing that ended today was me working for the rest of the year!

I hope the world doesn't end so I can actually enjoy my time off!
edit on 20/12/12 by NuclearPaul because: typo

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
we are entering the hyper-now

the super-continuum re-versified

the power of RA propels us

The IAM has been curved into an eternal loop

the hyper-context is upon us

nah, not really. .but its really easy to make up stupid sounding @#$ and act like i know what i'm talking about.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Has it happened yet ?

I don't want to miss anything...!!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

!!!!
Phage!!!!!! I guess that flare on lasco 2 is on the back side?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Actually all it is, is the solar system we happen to occupy, passing through the galatic "equator" so to speak.

The precise alignment of the solstice point (the precise center-point of the body of the sun as viewed from earth) with the Galactic equator was calculated to occur in 1998 (Jean Meeus, Mathematical Astronomy Morsels, 1997).

Thus, the Galactic Alignment "zone" is 1998 +/- 18 years = 1980 - 2016. This is "era-2012."

This Galactic Alignment occurs only once every 26,000 years, and was what the ancient Maya were pointing to with the 2012 end-date of their Long Count calendar.

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

I would also differ with this in that 72 years per degree of a circle equals 25,920 years and this allignment would happen twice in that time period.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
anyone can always Hope... but unfortunately, we all know too well (if we're being truly honest with ourselves), that this *limited* reality is not always according to what we hope/wish/dream

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Mayan Calendar

In yet another recent discovery - this time in the Mayan ruins of Xultunin Guatemala, in May - the oldest known Mayan calendar, dating to the early 9th century CE, was unearthed. The dates on the calendar suggest activity for some 7,000 years in to the future, contradicting the notion that the Mayans predicted the end of the world in December 2012.

Something tells me, we won't know when we're going. That's fine by me. I'm ok with that. Live life to the fullest.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Dec. 21, 2012 - What are the Real facts?

Real facts are it's winter solstice but otherwise a day just like any other.

And all the doomers and ascenders and other "believers" must be feeling let down and a bit disappointed that the day they made absolute proclamations for months about what was supposed to happen today was a major DUD.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The real facts are I'm so thankful to have another wonderful day to spend with my grandson and happy to be alive. Cheers to still having hot water!
The Sun is shinning brightly and it's a cold windy beautiful day outside.... and I need to finish cleaning my kitchen.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The real facts... December 21st is a Friday, Christmas is on Tuesday.... and we didn't get invaded by aliens, Niburu didnt show its ugly face... and the three days of darkness may turn into three nights of darkness

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
i would think these would be factual concerns today.

Fukushima, need i say more.
Maconda Bay continues to be a problem
Socioeconomic problems are vast and with no solution in site
GMO i think will come to haunt us massively in the near future
Declining fresh potable water supplies are becoming a concern
and i think the biggest concern we should have is that more and more people care not for each other.

new topics

top topics

join