It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unstable sea slab near Barrier Reef could cause monster tsunami in north Queensland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Ugh, this tablet keeps glitching on me!

Apparently this was discovered whilst mapping the sea floor off the barrier reef, although they say it'd take a large eq to shake it lose, still, I wonder how many other locations are like this, we live so closer to so many catastrophes daily, it doesn't take one day like 21/12 for something to happen, could be any day, any where!

Link below

www.couriermail.com.au... i0-1226541644059
edit on 20/12/2012 by bkaust because: Bloody links

More sources provided by Agarta
The Australian

News.com.au

If it's a kilometre long slab, under 350 metres of water, is there a way we could work out how large a potential tsunami could be? It says it'd take an hour to reach the coast of North Queensland, and it's 70km offshore but would an hour be enough time to get away since it's so large, and so close? (If it were to collapse in our lifetime, that is)
edit on 20/12/2012 by bkaust because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I just have to wonder why it was necessary for the media to add this story now. Is it just to add another gloom and doom story? There is no time span, just a someday. No size of what tsunami it would create.

Don't get me wrong, it is a concern but someday we may get hit by an asteroid as well.

edit on 20-12-2012 by jam321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Source 1

Source 2

edit on 20-12-2012 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Thanks agarta, for some reason none of my links are working! I even switched from tablet to mac and they are still saying page not found, yet when I go to courier mail and look for it - its there?!?!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I'm not sure it would "do" anything to be honest. Maybe just fall into deeper water? Certainly not a Tsunami starter. You can clearly see the shelf it's attatched to. I'm not sure this would amount to much.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
I'm not sure it would "do" anything to be honest. Maybe just fall into deeper water? Certainly not a Tsunami starter. You can clearly see the shelf it's attatched to. I'm not sure this would amount to much.

I'm no expert, not even close, but wouldn't any dramatic change or displacement of water that size cause something? I would assume it wouldn't be the whole east coast, just something fairly local - but then again, i've got no idea

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Yeah, I guess. Everything has got an equal and opposite reaction yeah? But It would have to come off in one big tumbling lump to create a big splosh and ripple effect?

I guess there would be some form of side effect but I thought it would have to be some form off "Snap" effect such as two opposing shelves with immense pressure built up to raise the sea level significantly enough to form a tsunami?

A tumbling rock may just produce a few ripples???? Don't know really???

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

dont think it will do much.. maybe cause a few whirlpools at best.

depending on how the earthquake displaces the earth, the earthquake should cause more of a tsunami than a large falling piece of rock that is already submerged.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I guess we will have to wait and see!

top topics

join