It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the Earth starts to shake apart on Dec 21, I might be one of the first to know

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Good plan until you lose power and can't post.
I'm in ring of fire location.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

lol, well I don't do the new groundbreaking stuff you've been doing...

I am just looking at data from the seismometers the way everyone else does.

And really been a pretty lame night...a 5.0 in Japan, little Nevada microswarm which pretty well quit, and that's about it. Hardly worthy of a doomsday award.

Who knows, maybe all that quake energy you detected coming from the southwest of Kansas will pan out for ya.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

You didn't mention Mt Baker.and Mt St Helen's volcanoes. Will you be keeping an eye on them as well?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

And really been a pretty lame night...a 5.0 in Japan, little Nevada microswarm which pretty well quit, and that's about it. Hardly worthy of a doomsday award.

Who knows, maybe all that quake energy you detected coming from the southwest of Kansas will pan out for ya.

*spooky voice*

This is just the calm before the stoooorrrrrmmmm ooooooooh

*no more spooky voice*

No but really it does look hella quiet, both in the ground, and in the sky. Solar activity is very calm.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Does calm solar activity rule out any issues with the magnetosphere? Or could something else affect that?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by violet
Does calm solar activity rule out any issues with the magnetosphere? Or could something else affect that?

I'm not the guy who can answer that one. sorry.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Christ-mass is the best time to strike. In all seriousness it is. I wouldn't be surprised.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
This site has the list of December 21 quakes occurring

SRC Location UTC Date/time M D INFORMATION ER I Felt A (not Listed) Strong Earthquake Dec 21 23:59 PM 4.6 0.1 MAP I Felt It EMSC Near East Coast Of Honshu, Japan Dec 21 08:07 AM 5.1 35.0 MAP I Felt It USGS Near The East Coast Of Honshu, Japan Dec 21 08:07 AM 5.0 35.3 MAP I Felt It GEOFON Near East Coast Of Honshu, Japan Dec 21 08:07 AM 5.3 10.0 MAP I Felt It GEOFON Northern Sumatra, Indonesia Dec 21 07:30 AM 4.6 68.0 MAP I Felt It EMSC Tonga Dec 21 06:23 AM 4.6 40.0 MAP I Felt It USGS Tonga Dec 21 06:23 AM 4.6 40.3 MAP I Felt It USGS Kamchatka Peninsula, Russia Dec 21 04:49 AM 4.8 132.3 MAP I Felt It EMSC Near East Coast Of Kamchatka Dec 21 04:48 AM 4.9 129.0 MAP I Felt It GEOFON Near East Coast Of Kamchatka Dec 21 04:48 AM 5.2 10.0 MAP I Felt It USGS Tonga Dec 21 01:45 AM 4.9 30.7 MAP I Felt It EMSC Tonga Dec 21 01:45 AM 5.0 30.0 MAP I Felt It GEOFON Tonga Islands Dec 21 01:45 AM 5.2 10.0 MAP I Felt It

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

True, I'm keeping an eye on the sun. Nothing strange happened. Nothing will...I will probably wake up with a huge hangover tomorrow; got a Christmas-party from work tonight

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Sure, that doesn´t sound fishy at all. So you are a private person, who setup a worldwide network of seismic sensors on your own time and money. And you are the only one using it?

Is that so far correct?

I am really interested in the technical aspects of this. So what kind of sensors did you use? And what kind of power supply? I guess a combination of batteries and solar? And how did you get internet access to each and every one of those sensors? I suppose you connect them via web?

Plus the software! Did you code something yourself, or do you use precoded elements? There must be a tool do use all those data.

So many questions!! Please answer, we must know more about this AMAZING product!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   

That would be how he does it?
edit on 21-12-2012 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Nightaudit

I'm guessing TrueAmerican was alluding to the fact that anyone can access the numerous University and Science departments seismographs on the web e.g.

www.seis.utah.edu...

All you'd need to do is monitor the links or put together some software to alert you of anything major.
You have to be able to read the seismographs though, which isn't that straightforward as they can pick up seismic activity from other geographic locations.

I don't think he was literally saying he'd been around the world and deployed a load of seismic sensors and linked them all up Bruce Wayne style.

I'm sure TrueAmerican can answer for himself but I'm sure that's what he meant.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Nightaudit

Like several of us members here, TA has tools available to connect to existing seismographs and seismograph networks. I use GEE***, but I think his setup is more elaborate.

Here's a screenshot from a typical GEE display for an event that I posted about in a thread back in January:

(The display quality is actually much crisper and cleaner than you see in the jpeg image above. EDIT: oh, just BTW, the "TA" in the above code ID names for the seismo is not short for "TrueAmerican".
It simply means "Transportable Array", which means it's a seismo station that can be moved around as needed.)

The beauty of GEE is that you can select your stations -- meaning choose the region/s you want to monitor -- and the traces come up in near-real-time. So you can see traces of quakes within seconds of their actual occurrence.

The data feeds come in to GEE via direct links with the seismo stations, through the servers that host them.

So, in summary, we don't need to go out and set up the seismo stations ourselves, we just connect to the ones that are already set up by the many scientific and educational organizations around the world that are involved in this field.

***GEE is the Global Earthquake Explorer, which is available as a free download for windows, mac and unix/linux Operating Systems from the Uni of Sth Carolina at a direct link here. (Upgraded version is now available.)

It's pretty easy to set up and run, but if anyone needs any help then you can have a look at TA's GEE (Global Earthquake Explorer) Tips. Or drop me a line and I'll see if I can help out.

Mike

edit on 21/12/12 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Your actually going to spend time monitoring this because of a false claim over the Mayan Calendar?

You are wasting your time. This subject has been a complete waste of time and it's quite sickening how many take efforts for this falsehood.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

And that would be because starting now I am opening up live seismic monitoring worldwide, in about as many places as I have stored throughout my seismic travels over the years. That includes the entire ring of fire, and many important volcanoes like Yellowstone, Long Valley, Rainier, Shasta, Clear Lake, etc.

I have developed up templates in my seismic software for all this, and if anything even peeps the wrong way in our neck of the woods (i.e. the Western Hemisphere), I'll probably know about it if it registers on a seismograph. Sorry China and Russia, you're on your own. Don't have much access to networks there, unfortunately.

So if what the doomsayers claim becomes true, I should see all the seismos lights up one after the other with massive quakes everywhere.
This should be interesting. And I'll report it here in this thread until connection is lost.

---- why do I have the distinct feeling I am wasting my time... ?

You should consider making an app and sharing

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

We could have a lot of seismic activity today. The skeptics will be dancing with joy. The regular people will all be happy and go out dancing tonight. The doomers will be pacing the floor and kicking things. It could be like the butterfly effect and all that dancing will cause a big earth movement.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I think this eq one may suck, Live my butt lol, but is easier to look at other than looking at graphs and data....Or is that what they want...

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Did I miss anything?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCanuckian

Your actually going to spend time monitoring this because of a false claim over the Mayan Calendar?

You are wasting your time. This subject has been a complete waste of time and it's quite sickening how many take efforts for this falsehood.
He does this sort of thing for fun all the time. Chill. It's what TA does, monitors seismic activity, breaks down the data and info for us laymen to understand, and tells us what his scientist connections have to say. Sometimes he sees something alarming and publishes updates and explanations as he gets them. The fact he's got all of the data feeds open is just a fun extension of what he normally does.

It's like Groundhog Day....nobody expects anything significant of consulting ol Puxatawney Phil, but they do it just to mark the day anyway.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Thanks JustMike and SheeplFlavored for pretty well nailing the situation precisely. I ended up getting a client call today, and had to split for an ultra long day, but finally made it back home. So I wasn't able to spend all day and night at this like I wanted to. But didn't much matter anyway.

We had a 6.8 in Vanuato, but nothing out of the ordinary really for that area. An 8 or 9 there would be more out of the ordinary.

So happy all my time wasn't wasted, in fact it was quite a productive day for me.

We made it through 2000, and now through 2012 (just about), and we're all still here. No more of this prophecy crap for me, not that I believed it anyway, but sometimes it makes you wonder. From now on though, no more even wondering for me. The sun shall rise and set tomorrow like it has for the last 4.5 billion years or so, even in the face of asteroid strikes, ice ages, and supervolcanoes. The end of prophecy as we know it comes today. They can all kiss it as far as I am concerned.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming: wars for profit, corruption, greed and the deplorable human way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join