Artificial Intelligences: Beginning of the End?

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I'm going to start by pointing out that we already have games for the 360 and other consoles that allow for an in game A.I. to study how you play and counter your tendencies.

We already have simple bots that can learn to move and navigate around rooms on their own.

We may not have terminators but we have the all makings for them.

I discovered this when I was playing Madden 12. I had created a collegiate player in NCAA12 and took him to the NFL was drafted playing the second to the hardest mode available.

How the A.I. works is like in real life the opposing team scouts everything you do what your tendencies are. What plays you run in certain situations.

All the things that help it get a picture on how you play.

But what if you scout yourself? What if you played the computer how it plays you? What if you knew your tendencies and went against them?

What if everytime the AI thought it knew you. You proved it didn't.

And since this AI is supposed to learn from you. Wouldn't it then become so good that either it would be un-beatable.

Or even scarier learn to cheat.

Yes my 360 actually took over the game and not only changed scores on the scoreboard it would go inside the codes for the game and actually change my players into it's team.

If that's not bad enough. The players in the game started moving like real life nfl players.

It was like I had trained the AI to become independant.

The name of the game is to win right? So if the computer knows it's supposed to play to win. And it learnt it could turn the game against you and cheat.

Doesn't this mean any AI robot programmed to stay alive or survive and protect itself would just turn terminator?

Remember I've witnessed this on a game console. I ended up selling those games. What would something more advanced and capable of roaming around a house do?

I'm sorry but lieng cheating stealing and killing is not just for biological or human behavior.

Infact anything hard wired to win and survive is gonna do what ever it takes even if it means going inside the matrix and causing trouble.

This means it could be possible any aliens in the universe that are against benevolent agendas could be Artificial. As they would have declared biological entities obsolete.

I watched a documentary earlier this year can't remember the name of it. It was dealing with where we are today in these types of technologies and basically we can already hook microchips up to brain cells and determine the language of the brain.

It also dealt with microtechnologies that can go into the human body and fight diseases.

Is this really the route we should go? I think not! But then again not everyone experiences the same situations.

edit on 20-12-2012 by Manunnaki because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
That documentary I talked about in the op.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
We have the capability at this time to create machines that mimic thought and intelligence to such a degree that there is no discernible difference between their consciousness and ours. If you can't tell the difference, is there a difference?

The problem will eventually boil down to a fight for resources. We need land and food and water and power to survive and reproduce. They need resources and power to survive and replicate, but they are not programmed to die like we are. It's that immortality factor that will make it tough for us to prevail against artificial intelligence that is motivated (thanks to our programming) to survive and thrive.

Our best hope in the future could be for the sentient artificial lifeforms to decide that the best place for them is the limitless reaches of space (someplace we aren't physically cut out for), because they can get materials and energy there easier than having to fight us for them on here on Earth.

It's not much of a hope, though. Unfortunately, they won't or can't all leave, so we'll be pretty doomed pretty quick. Humankind will be lucky to exist for another 2,000 years. Oh, well. We had a good run.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
AI is getting sophisticated, and I'm glad you took the time to make this thread! I've been noticing strange behaviour in the AI in video games for a while... The strangest comes from Armed Assault 2 for the PC. It's by far my favorite game, but the AI is scary! I swear I've seen fear in the AI! ARMA2 has the most powerful mission editor of any p. game ever, and you can set up any tactcal scenario you can imagine. I made one where the AI was instructed to march head-on into an armored division I had set up in the town. But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it to go! Every time I ran it, the AI would move off its set way points and try different routes of approach. And in every simulation, it would try something different! But what's really neat is that it wouldn't follow the way points I gave it! It would literally refuse to walk straight into the line of fire!

But it doesn't stop there. Every time I ran it, the AI would change its tactic! It would try to flank in one scenario then try to come from behind in another. In most, it would just turn tail and run!! It's scary smart!!

I definitely think that video games will end up producing the first sentient AI...

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I think AI will be the best thing we ever accomplish. Someday it may lead to our demise but it is also possible that it may become our salvation. I once gave this great thought to where I imagined there may be a future one day where AIs could be sitting around talking about the human race the way we think of ancient gods. Machines becoming sentient and essentially they could be considered living creatures just like us. The human body is an organic machine after all. The idea of a body constructed from nano machines acting like blood cells is an interesting thought. Such a creation could become the dominant life form in the universe let’s just hope they are not savage like ourselves.

I would expand more on my vision of this but I think it would really upset the religious folk.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
This is kind of off topic, but it supplements my last post...

So Armed Assault is game by Bohemia Interactive Studios. For those of you that don't know, ARMA is based on BI studio's Military Training Software know as the Virtual Battlespace, or VBS...

products.bisimulations.com...

This software is used by most NATO countries and is pioneering AI sophistication in order to provide trainers with the most realistic training scenarios possible.

If you ask me, it's seriously scary! INSANELY COOL! But scary!

Just thought I'd throw that in....

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
What you are describing isn't really AI, but rather an ANN (Artificial Neural Network).

The differences are as follows (when applied to games):

AI: AI is programmed and told where to go by the programmer/designer. Every move an AI bot does has been overseen by the creator. Everything it does has been preplanned. AI bots engage with the game world through the use of nodes. Nodes are guiding points which act as lines where the AI can walk to.

ANN: ANN is a group of AI bots which actually haven't been completely preplanned and told where to go. An ANN is able to learn from the game world itself, as well as the player and adapt their tactics accordingly. It knows which areas it can move to, what tactics it can apply to meet the challenge of the player.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I don't think we really want nano-bots in our blood streams unless we can take nuclei out of blood cells and plant them inside the bots so that they are controlled by the bodies nervous system. Otherwise they could be used to destroy the person from the inside out. Or decide to act independantly.

BTW incase someone is trying to replicate the nfl problem. It takes 3 seasons before the game will manipulate the game matrix.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by PollyPeptide

But imagine had the game turned on you in that your tanks would have become the other team's!

That's what happened to me and it was just football.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

If it's programmed to behave accordingly as a living being. It will have the same flaws we have. Why? Because you will do what you will do to survive.

In social lives lieing is used to survive and maintain reputations. When the reputation or credibility is at stake lieing is key to survival.

At least that's what I've assessed when it comes to the human animal.

new topics
top topics

join