It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My husband got me a crossbow for Christmas, and I need some tips...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I asked for a crossbow months ago for a gift, and I was surprised he actually got me one. I got an Excalibur with the scope and cocking device. Well, I was pretty surprised he got me a good one and not a kids version haha. I think its party for him to use too.

Ok, so here is my pathetic problem...I'm not strong enough to cock the dang thing even with the rope cocking device! I'm like half an inch away. So, any tips on how a weakling like myself can do it more easily?

Also, would it be a bad idea to target practice in round hay bales, or is it necessary to buy a target block?

Any advice would be appreciated before I break the dang thing!!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
That is a cool gift! I've wanted a crossbow for a while but nobody has bought me one yet

I have no tips to offer just a congrats on your crossbow

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
it really shouldnt be that hard.. is ur rope short enough so that when you hook the second side you have to pull on it a little bit so that its tight and not loose when you have both sides of the cocking string set and ready to pull up?

You dont want much slack so that when you are pulling up you dont have to bring ur elbows very high up or it makes it really hard to do..

Also make sure you set it, pull and stand straight up so its about half tight then finish pulling with ur arms.. shouldnt be to hard it cuts the amount of lbs you have to pul up by alot.. also make sure ur cocking strings are close to the rail dont have space between..

There are some good youtube videos that will sho wyou have to use cocking string also.. And if you still cant do it there is a mechanism you can buy that you can have like a fishing rod type thing wher eyou can real in the string to cock it.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Well thanks! I hope you get one some day soon then! And hopefully you're not a weakling like me. My husband refuses to cock it for me, so I'm determined to do it myself somehow in the next day or so, so I can use it!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
where in TX are you?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Whatever you do, be careful.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

Yeah, I have to pull one side up a little to get it hooked on there. It is also close to the middle, so I know I'm doing that right. I'm not that short either, so I thought it would be easy too. Once I stand up and I have to use just my arms, I can only lift it like another inch. Are some cocking ropes shorter than others? Maybe I can make mine a tad shorter. I can't find much online about women using crossbows. Maybe I'm just seriously weak.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by fictitious

look at ur cocking rop, on the handles you should be able to pull the rope out some andn there should be a knot, make another knot 2 inches down on each side, keep going down 2in until you are easily able to do it...

You may not have enough arm strength but you should have enough in ur back so if you bend over and grab the handles, hold them to ur chest tight and then just stand up and that should work for you.

what is the brand/model of the crossbow?
edit on 20-12-2012 by dc4lifeskater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
where in TX are you?

At this moment, central Texas...

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

im in austin

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Your husband bought you a crossbow for xmas!! No wonder america is so screwed up!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnaChispa
Whatever you do, be careful.

And please don't do anything stupid.

Killed on live TV
edit on 12/20/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by misscurious
Your husband bought you a crossbow for xmas!! No wonder america is so screwed up!

Most retard thing I ever heard.. what is wrong with buying a crossbow for ur wife? I bought my gf a bow and she loves it..

also lmfao at the video clip above.. haha

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater

look at ur cocking rop, on the handles you should be able to pull the rope out some andn there should be a knot, make another knot 2 inches down on each side, keep going down 2in until you are easily able to do it...

You may not have enough arm strength but you should have enough in ur back so if you bend over and grab the handles, hold them to ur chest tight and then just stand up and that should work for you.

what is the brand/model of the crossbow?

Ah, it worked! Made a knot a few inches down and got it! Thank you so much! And it's an excalibur axiom. 175 pound pull.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by misscurious

Would it make you feel better that I bought MYSELF an AR-15 this week, and I also have a concealed handgun license.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Nice.. the reason I moved to the republic of texas.. they have plenty of sense, people have rights, the state belongs to us not to the US government... Good luck taking our guns

edit on 20-12-2012 by dc4lifeskater because: sorry i referred to tx as a state I fixed that

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

Yep I can't imagine living anywhere else. As a kid I moved out of state for a few years, but I don't think I would again. Where are you from originally?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
What a great gift.
As far as targets go i think you need a round bale for a backstop. Whatever you use as a main target remember that it's gonna bury those arrows. They even make a puller for them. I use a square cheap foam target that i can lay on it's side to remove the arrow. It really depends on your budget.

Since you got your cocking device string adjusted just remember when you attach it to the string it only works well one way. If you attach the cocking device from the bottom side of the bow then often parts of the bow will catch the rollers during cocking.

One major rule that often goes overlooked is never reach inside the string path for any reason!!! Body parts can become unattached in the blink of an eye. Often just the tips of fingers are caught in the string path when firing.

With that said your gonna love it.

edit on 20-12-2012 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

Thank you for the advice. So, to get this straight, I should not go outside and just shoot straight at a hay bale. It would get buried. So I need to get a foam block to put in front of the hay. I just want to make sure!

Can't wait to shoot it. Hopefully the end of the world doesn't come before I can lol.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I am from NC but moved all over and recently move from Las Vegas and don tplan on ever moving from the greatest place in the world called TX
I love it here its great, the people are great.

I have 2 square bales of hay in front of each other and i printed out targes from online onto regular paper. I took 4 bbq squer however you spell the sticks that you put in meat... and stuck one in each corner it holds it just fine.. Your crossbow wont go through other then if you get real close maybe.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join