It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L:lol:L what's with all these "prophets" of "nothing will happen"?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by anjuna

I have put up a psychic barrier to all new ways of thinking. It can't be true! No. I won't let it happen.

So if it's a you tube video, it must be true?

Things change over time. 'Tis true. But nothing changed on the 21st. In fact it looked identical to the last 10 or so 21sts... except there is a lot more crap you tube videos.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by anjuna

I imagine most of you will continue to disbelieve, largely because you may not have the background preparation for understanding the new paradigms emerging

Does this "background preparation" involve reading pseudo-scientific books and articles, watching youtube videos, being "awake" or "enlightened", or "new age" beliefs (although I know that term is frowned upon by many of your sort)????

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It involves reading whatever you like to further your own educational path. I highly recommend reading several sources from across the spectrum of "unbelievable" to "highly believable" since, as it turns out, some things that are currently highly believed by most happen to be false. Expand your mind and your ability to *discern* will become more accurate over time. There's really no reason not to find time to absorb more information; you only have knowledge and understanding to gain.

I doubt either of you even watched the beginning of the first video, or if you did do so did it in a fashion in which you'd already put up a mental barrier and hence might have not noticed the presentation was a summary of work of over 1,600 cases. If you can watch that many people have the same experience and still discount it, well I don't know what to say....

Additionally, if you'd noticed, the presenter openly states she is not trying to convince anyone or change their mind, only presenting a vast amount of data over her many years of research. The least you could do is honor that.
edit on 28-12-2012 by anjuna because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I didnt watch any videos. I might watch tonight before bed because it looks like it might put me to sleep.

Actually looks interesting but only to further my research of delusional fantasy worlds.
edit on 28-12-2012 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ZetaRediculian

That's a fine time to enjoy such a video as nearing the sleep state the brainwaves change to alpha where receiving complex information in a short amount of time becomes easier to comprehend in a holistic way.

ezinearticles.com...
How to Use Alpha Brainwaves For Optimum Learning and Relaxation

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I have spent enough time In "other states". Before the day is over, I will have been in three states. That's because I live in nj.
edit on 28-12-2012 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by anjuna
I doubt either of you even watched the beginning of the first video, or if you did do so did it in a fashion in which you'd already put up a mental barrier and hence might have not noticed the presentation was a summary of work of over 1,600 cases. If you can watch that many people have the same experience and still discount it, well I don't know what to say....

Additionally, if you'd noticed, the presenter openly states she is not trying to convince anyone or change their mind, only presenting a vast amount of data over her many years of research. The least you could do is honor that.
I can't watch the video from where I am right now but I would like to preclude that this is not legitimate research. Are we able to verify each of the 1600 cases? How was this research done? What does this have to do with the 21st?

Honestly, I have seen this type of thing before. David Jacobs and his alien hybrid "research" comes to mind. Just one of his research subjects "escaped" with recordings that shed some light on exactly what and how he did his research.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by anjuna

That's a fine time to enjoy such a video as nearing the sleep state the brainwaves change to alpha where receiving complex information in a short amount of time becomes easier to comprehend in a holistic way

Information that would have been useful back in high school. If only my teachers had realized I was just entering a state more receptive to learning.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

There are a lot of concepts and widely held beliefs today that are outdated, incomplete or untrue. Many "outlandish" concepts in the past came into being first ridiculed, then adopted, incorporated or further studied.

In the case of the video you are referring to, it really does help to have some knowledge of the various areas she describes. Perhaps it would be good to spend a small amount of time familiarizing oneself with those concepts first. Watch videos from whatever source you like but I've come to the conclusion (after pooh-poohing YouTube myself, and while I still admit there is a lot of nonsense to be found there) that it can be a decent source of alternative education. It all comes down to discernment again. Float from one video to the next, letting your personal preference, intuition (or for men, "gut reaction"?) guide, making sure it resonates with you.

It is perfectly okay to watch any presentation with complete disbelief the entire time. I often do it, if only to expose myself to new ideas, and quite often I'm glad I did for helped me in understanding things I'd watch in the future.

edit on 28-12-2012 by anjuna because: typo

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by anjuna

Any time someone uses the word 'Path" to define their life choices tells me that this person is a flake.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by anjuna

There is no honor is perpetuating a lie.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by anjuna

Float from one video to the next, letting your personal preference, intuition (or for men, "gut reaction"?) guide, making sure it resonates with you.

...and I found this gem.

edit on 29-12-2012 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by karen61560
reply to post by anjuna

Any time someone uses the word 'Path" to define their life choices tells me that this person is a flake.

I'm not understanding your "accusation". The word "path" in my post refers to "free will" life choices all individuals make. Therefore, I meant each of us is on our own path to understanding more and more ... and more.

If you don't care to learn more about reality and the universe we live in, that's your choice. Your "path".

Flake? Lies? What the heck are you talking about? It can be your opinion I am a "flake" (as in the slang definition "A somewhat eccentric person; an oddball") but I am not perpetuating any lies. If anything, quite the contrary.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by anjuna

Don't bother with pseudo-skeptics like Karen. They are fundamentalists. The best you can hope for is that you force them to re-arrange their prejudices. What's the use of that? Ignore them.

edit on 31-12-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule
reply to post by anjuna

Don't bother with pseudo-skeptics like Karen. They are fundamentalists. The best you can hope for is that you force them to re-arrange their prejudices. What's the use of that? Ignore them.

edit on 31-12-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

Thanks for the good advice. Initially I was going to but felt there might have been some grave misunderstanding so couldn't help myself, I guess.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Just a thought. Perhaps since the Mayans didn't predict anything would happen, they were correct in some way. Since they foresaw nothing and nothing happend, they were the true prophets of "nothing will happen"

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZetaRediculian
Just a thought. Perhaps since the Mayans didn't predict anything would happen, they were correct in some way. Since they foresaw nothing and nothing happend, they were the true prophets of "nothing will happen"

Here's another thought:

The myopic ATS "skeptic" crowd has a deeply flawed concept of "nothing".

Graph of Accumulating Deviations: The Complete Formal Database

The two following figures represent the history of our formal hypothesis testing. The first shows the Z-scores for more than 350 formally specified events in an ordinary scatterplot. While there is a noticeable positive bias, it is not easy to see its significance. Yet the odds against chance of this meanshift over a database this size are about a thousand million to one.

The second figure displays the same data as a cumulative deviation from chance expectation (shown as the horizontal black line at 0 deviation). Truly random data would produce a jagged curve with no slope, wandering up and down around the horizontal. The dotted smooth curves show the 0.05 and 0.001 and 0.000001 probability envelopes that indicate significant versus chance excursions. This figure can be compared with a "control distribution" using simulations of the event series.

The jagged red line shows the accumulating excess of the empirically normalized Z-scores relative to expectation for the complete dataset of rigorously defined events. The overall result is highly significant. The odds against chance are much greater than a million to one.

edit on 3-1-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Post a flawed idea in one place, why not place the same post in multiple places.

This is a typical flawed study done to show nothing.

The stats and methodology are very similar to RV, and TWZ. Oddities are identified and then matched to whatever is happening. Sometimes the oddities are dropped because nothing was happening.

Are the oddities special? No, but the math used is special.

That red line simply shows that the things the special math detects happen in a very regular manner, i.e. independent of events of the world.

en.wikipedia.org...

Robert Matthews called it "the most sophisticated attempt yet" to prove psychokinesis existed, but cited the unreliability of significant events to cause statistically significant spikes, concluding "the only conclusion to emerge from the Global Consciousness Project so far is that data without a theory is as meaningless as words without a narrative".

Just reinforcing that nothing is happening.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Follow the data, not a theory. Otherwise science becomes stale and dogmatic. When that happens, you get mind-guards of groupthink trying to shield people from dissenting information. Which is pretty much what ATS debunkers are doing.

"The fact is, the resistance to the entire field of psi research has not significantly diminished in more than a century, and the tactics employed to discredit the field or its major figures have remained the same as well. Critics have all along feigned certitude about the worthlessness of the data while betraying their ignorance of what the data actually are. Detractors (or deniers) still employ fallacious argumentative strategies (e.g., ad hominem or straw-man arguments) they would be quick to detect and denounce if they had been the targets of those arguments instead. And not surprisingly, the tone of these criticisms often reveals an intensity of emotion inappropriate to what should be an open-minded empirical inquiry. Indeed, it looks conspicuously like a fear response.

Second, it’s clear that parapsychology’s gradual adoption of more relentlessly and sophisticated quantitative methods has made almost no difference to the course of skeptical opposition. On the contrary, it’s simply opened a new and fruitful—and largely technical— playing field for glib or dishonest criticism. So instead of concentrating on allegations of mediumistic fraud or sloppy reporting, critics now focus (for example) on allegedly questionable statistics, the proper criteria for conducting meta-analyses, or other methodological flaws (real or imagined). In that respect, J. B. Rhine’s so-called “revolution” of moving from mediumistic case studies to quantitative lab experiments has been a complete failure. Overall, neither the public at large nor the subset of academic detractors has been more convinced by quantitative research than they were before that by anecdotal reports and mediumistic case studies."
-Stephen Braude

edit on 3-1-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join