It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Epic Lies: Revisiting The Great Flood

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by JesuitGarlic

Hi JG, haven't seen you in while.

- Material the boat roof was made out of, wood for Noah versus slate for Gilgamesh (which would make the boat top heavy and further unseaworthy)

Where are you getting your information about the slate roof? I have read and reread the text, but I don't see it.

Supposedly, from the Gilgamesh account, no animals were on the unseaworthy top heavy cube 'ship' but just DNA.

Whatever I had of all the living being I laded upon her.
All my family and kin I made go aboard the ship.
The beasts of the field, the wild creatures of the field,

According to the story, animals were on the ship, not DNA. If not why would he need 7 floors, divided into 9 parts each, and a area covering a square acre?

I don't believe, even with a whole city working on it, that a ship of that magnitude could be made in 7 days.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

It wasn't made in 7 days in the bible.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

I know. It took over 100 years, according to the Bible, for Noah to build his ark. 7 days, in the Epic of Gilgamesh, for all the kingdom to build Utnapishtim's ship.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

No, it doesn't say how long it took. Eh, some say 50 years, some say 75 years. Who knows. Does it matter?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

No, it doesn't say how long it took. Eh, some say 50 years, some say 75 years. Who knows. Does it matter?

No, not really. But I was answering JesusGarlic's post when I said I didn't believe the 7 day scenario.

there are some big issues with the Epic of Gilamesh account: - the dimensions of the boat being 200x200x200 feet (unseaworthy cube) - Building time to make boat 100 years for Noah (Noah gave 100yrs of warning)versus 7 days for Gilgamesh

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Questions have to be asked about these 'gods' described as acting like 'whipped dogs' when the water came down: From your video posted we can see that the Gilgamesh tale is Babylonian in origin, coming out of the empire created by Nimrod (Nimrod was born about 4 generations from Noah).

There is no reason to assume that "Noah" was monotheist. The Hebrew people weren't led into monotheism until after the advent of Abraham. Even Moses still acknowledged the existence of other gods.

Jealous Yahweh was constantly running around, in the Old Testament, smiting people and whole cities because they were still polytheist. The concept of one god and only one god was not an easy pill to swallow, and in fact it is a very metaphysical and deeply intellectual concept.

We have the Babylonia account written before the Biblical account. We see from the Babylonian account that it was obviously a made up story because: - they didn't have electricity and freezers on this cube ship in order to preserve the DNA from destruction - Seeing that all the animals died in the universal flood, no wombs of females animals could be used to produce the new lot of animals from combining the DNA into an implantable zygote, what kind of fancy science lab did they bring with them using techniques that are not even possible to us now

It sounds to me like you believe that Anunnaki were involved in "creation" and that they actually used molecular genetics to repopulate the planet.

How very Babylonian of you.

I think it's likely that the Hebrew people "borrowed" the flood myth from their Babylonian captivity. It's no more likely that the Hebrews made up the story than the Babylonians made up the story.

edit on 21-12-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

give some series credentials to the Scriptures for me.

It's more likely that they all got the story from an older, common source.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword

There is no reason to assume that "Noah" was monotheist. The Hebrew people weren't led into monotheism until after the advent of Abraham. Even Moses still acknowledged the existence of other gods.

Jealous Yahweh was constantly running around, in the Old Testament, smiting people and whole cities because they were still polytheist. The concept of one god and only one god was not an easy pill to swallow, and in fact it is a very metaphysical and deeply intellectual concept.

I think it's likely that the Hebrew people "borrowed" the flood myth from their Babylonian captivity. It's no more likely that the Hebrews made up the story than the Babylonians made up the story.

edit on 21-12-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob didn't "run around smiting people because they were polytheists." As you are studying the flood legends retained within numerous cultures around the world, you are doing a disservice to your study by believing the above and it will influence what and why you conclude what you do. Our God told Abraham that when his descendants (Israel) came back into Canaan after having been in Egypt for 400 years

"In the fourth generation your descendants will come back here, for the sin of the Amorites has not yet reached its full measure.” Genesis 15:16

"full measure" - whole, complete, From shalam; complete (literally or figuratively); especially friendly with

The Amorites, Canaanites, were to eventually become so friendly with their inequities and sins that the point would be reached whereby they would be destroyed. It wasn't about being "polytheist" at all, but rather the descent into total depravity such as incest and child sacrifice. They'd "become friendly" with these practices, no different than today as we see child sacrifice coded into law. The first settlers to arrive in what is now the US around 400 years ago and look at us....we are throwing out His morality faster than anything, more and more following eastern spirituality and coding inequity and sin into our laws. Why was the flood brought about per the Bible? A world continually doing wickedly and evil.

This is the Bible and the true message for us - that without obedience to Him societies follow the same course over and over again. They rise up and eventually become so friendly with inequity resulting from heathism and paganism that the society just becomes so corrupted that it is destroyed. Leviticus 18, please read it.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Ancient cultures all around the world talked about the great flood!! I believe thats what wiped out the highly advanced civilization that lived many millenia ago.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

It has been speculated that the Bible is nothing more than a rewritten version of the Sumerian tales. I would say that this is the Floodtale. Think about it, Sumer around roughly 4000 b.c, Floodtale possibly around the same, even though some think it was earlier. If it is Noahs flood, it just shows that the bible is not the word of god and and pretty much one big load of BS.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Indeed. And, it appears that the 10 Commandments are probably derived from the Egyptian Book of the Dead.

“Hail to thee, great God, Lord of the Two Truths. I have come unto thee, my Lord, that thou mayest bring me to see thy beauty.
I know thee, I know thy name, I know the names of the 42 Gods who are with thee in this broad hall of the Two Truths . . .
Behold, I am come unto thee. I have brought thee truth; I have done away with sin for thee. I have not sinned against anyone. I have not mistreated people. I have not done evil instead of righteousness . . .
I have not reviled the God. I have not laid violent hands on an orphan. I have not done what the God abominates I have not killed; I have not turned anyone over to a killer.
I have not caused anyone’s suffering . . .
I have not copulated (illicitly); I have not been unchaste.
I have not increased nor diminished the measure,
I have not diminished the palm;
I have not encroached upon the fields. I have not added to the balance weights;
I have not tempered with the plumb bob of the balance.
I have not taken milk from a child’s mouth;
I have not driven small cattle from their herbage…
I have not stopped (the flow of) water in its seasons; I have not built a dam against flowing water.
I have not quenched a fire in its time . . .
I have not kept cattle away from the God’s property.
I have not blocked the God at his processions. “
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

Referring back to the Epic of Gilgamesh, Utnapishtim was righteous enough for the god Ea to want to save him. When Utnapishtim told his kingdom that Enlil hated him and wanted to kill him, and lied to them about the blessings that would be bestowed upon them, if they only helped him built a ship, to move away from them, therefore protecting them from Enlil's wrath, they gladly and lovingly supported their king.

Sure, they could have killed him, in some sacrificial manner to appease Enlil, but they didn't. They loved their king enough to help him, and spared his life.

That doesn't sound like a sinful nation to me.

Both Noah and Utnapisshtim answered to a different god than Yahweh. Sigismundus showed us that here, www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Every year someone is either building an ark or claiming to have found the ark. I'm still a little annoyed he left unicorns and dragons out. Seems kind of mean.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
“No one who does good work will ever come to a bad end, either here or in the world to come”, the flood proves otherwise. Human iniquity will provoke "you know who", and He shall come soon, in power and might.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by uthu74

Human iniquity will provoke "you know who"

Who? Enlil?

Will we be conned into building the proverbial ark again, to assist the new "Utnapishtims"?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join