It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Scientists Debunk 6 Doomsday Rumors

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Thought this was an interesting article and did not find any thread on it so far. So here is the link to the article:

globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com...

The 6 rumors that the NASA Scientists address in the article on CNN through videos are as follows:

1. Mayan Calendar: Mayan civilization destroyed before they could or would have created a new calendar in the future, similar to what we do every year.

2. Runaway Planet ("Nibiru"): We can't see it!

3. Glactic Alignment: Earth, Sun, and center of Milky Way line up every December!

4. Solar Apocalypse: It will happen, but not for 5 billion years!

5. Killer Asteroid: Nothing has been found to be on course to collide with Earth.

6. Polar Shift: Not possible to change how our planet rotates in a single day.

Personally, I think tomorrow will pass by like any other day and I will be treating it as such. Although I do hope their is some sort of positive change that may begin in the world starting tomorrow in some unexplainable way.

Thoughts everyone? Agree or disagree with the explanations given by NASA Scientists? Did they leave anything out? Did they leave out a more popular rumor that you think could come true or not for that matter?

On another note: I loved the link at the bottom of the CNN article, which links to another article titled, Be honest: Apocalypse kind exciting? Uhh, yea it appears so (especially on ATS)

Also, of interest on the Mayan Calendar video the NASA scientist says that some interpret the end of the calendar to be the 23rd not the 21st. So all of you hoping the noise dies down about the end of the world may have to wait until after the 23rd now.

edit on 12/20/2012 by theUNKNOWNawaits because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Of all of those, the only one I have issue with is #5 ... we found recently that asteroids can sneak up on us ..

Otherwise, I agree completely .. I think 2012 is complete nonsense .. but of course people who want so much to believe in this crap will say this is just disinformation.. then on the 22nd they will invent arguments to defend themselves.. as per usual.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
NooooooooooOOooo, it can't be TRUE!

Wait.

Yes.

Yes, it is true.

Tomorrow, nothing extraordinary will happen. Nothing besides the fact I will leave for the holidays, yay!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by theUNKNOWNawaits

Personally, I think tomorrow will pass by like any other day and I will be treating it as such. Although I do hope their is some sort of positive change that may begin in the world starting tomorrow in some unexplainable way.

Thoughts everyone?

You think? You should know now, buddy. Its the 21st of December in several different countries throughout the world.

Peace

link   
Number 5 is very wrong and if they are wrong on one all of them must be wrong.

link   

Originally posted by miniatus
Of all of those, the only one I have issue with is #5 ... we found recently that asteroids can sneak up on us ..

Otherwise, I agree completely .. I think 2012 is complete nonsense .. but of course people who want so much to believe in this crap will say this is just disinformation.. then on the 22nd they will invent arguments to defend themselves.. as per usual.

I remember reading something about that too. Comets are easy to spot because they usually have a tail, as they are mostly composed of ice/dust. However some relatively large asteroids several miles in size can get pretty close to earth before they are ever detected. Still totally unrelated to 2012 doomsday though.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

True, I see your point about #5 however I dont really get the feeling that will happen tomorrow either.

Yes, sadly I am expecting some people to say this was disinformation from NASA scientists.

I definitely agree new arguments will come out on the 22nd and the quickest may be provided in the #1 video, in which the NASA scientist says some interpret the end of the calendar to be the 23rd. So we may have to wait a couple more days before this all dies down very slowly.

reply to post by ManFromEurope

Haha
Enjoy the trip!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamfox1
Number 5 is very wrong and if they are wrong on one all of them must be wrong.

Nonsense.. #5 is wrong mostly due to the limits of our ability to monitor everything at once... but just because one is wrong does not mean all are wrong.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
6 down, 660 to go!!

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

True, I see your point about #5 however I dont really get the feeling that will happen tomorrow either.

Yes, sadly I am expecting some people to say this was disinformation from NASA scientists.

I definitely agree new arguments will come out on the 22nd and the quickest may be provided in the #1 video, in which the NASA scientist says some interpret the end of the calendar to be the 23rd. So we may have to wait a couple more days before this all dies down very slowly.

reply to post by ManFromEurope

Haha
Enjoy the trip!!!

I completely agree.. I'm not expecting an asteroid to hit us in our life time.. I'm just pointing out that the fact they don't see it doesn't mean much.. we COULD get hit and them not notice it in time.. I just don't foresee that happening anytime soon given the scale of the universe

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Juan Fernandez Islands which are 400 miles out to sea into the pacific ocean from Chile.

It has to be the 21 there thats were the hidden Mayan marker is at. If this is right then its at Pacific time.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Yes indeed, however, it is not here and it is not the time that they claim the "event" will occur. I said "I think" because that is all I can say. I won't know for sure until it passes. However, I am fairly confident it shall.

reply to post by dreamfox1

Please provide info on where they are wrong with #5 showing what is in fact on course to collide with Earth on the 21st of December. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

With that being said I think your generalization that if they get one wrong, then all of them are wrong, is in fact wrong to make.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Yes indeed, however, it is not here and it is not the time that they claim the "event" will occur. I said "I think" because that is all I can say. I won't know for sure until it passes. However, I am fairly confident it shall.

Absolutely .. =) if we're due to be hit by a big rock tomorrow, they would have spotted it by now...

In fact even amateur astronomers would have seen it by this point..

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Juan Fernandez Islands which are 400 miles out to sea into the pacific ocean from Chile.

It has to be the 21 there thats were the hidden Mayan marker is at. If this is right then its at Pacific time.

What exact Pacific time are you talking about?

Just want to set my watch accordingly to celebrate the uneventful.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

What exact Pacific time are you talking about?

Just want to set my watch accordingly to celebrate the uneventful.

maps.google.com...:en-US
fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=HGvTUJnaLYGiiQK4po DwAQ&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAA

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by theUNKNOWNawaits

Nice find. The more stuff you find about "the end of the world" the more you find it is mostly hypothesis based on little or no facts.
Then people read it, spread it around, debate it endlessly until the date arrives giving it a sense of factual basis, but in fact the roots come from a very simple hypothesis raised by someone who might happen to be famous, or well known.

Sometimes the average Joe manages to sneak in a scenario but they're quickly debunked. It's amazing what credential will do for you, even if your a crackpot without much logic or rational thinking.

The fact that many have tried and failed to predict anything of real importance and only managed to relate to us what we could all have envisioned or managed to predict something that seems very similar to what's happened in our recent history.

Whenever you have to really reach to try and prove a hypothesis by listing a ton of coincidences your already well off the track of science and into the realm of Science Fiction.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

One passed dangerously close to us Wednesday but was long predicted to pass us.

This was 2 days prior to the 21st. Nothing else is set to pass us by any time soon.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

The explanations are quite good and logical. The whole hype on 2012 or any other topic is much more like a runaway train. And it truly hinders on examening the real possibilities. As a 9-11 truther I am always upset when I see thread that even claim an UFO flew the planes into the WTC. There seems to be a mentality on ATS that implies that If I see a boy ride his bike head on into a tree in the end some one will try to convince me some sinister alien or some NWO mindcontrol freak had pushed the boy into the tree, Or that Nasa has lost a satellite and it crashed right behind the boy and throwing him with his bike against the tree.
I dislike this constant ... it must be an ufo, an invisible planet X and all this crap hype. Lets look at the facts! It's like a homocide detective investigates the murder of a homeless drifter. So since they now find out that this homeless man was an illegal immigrant from Russia, does this mean he was a spy who mascaraded as a homeless drifter? If we can't explain it, then lets logically go after it to find an explaination!
5 minutes after the Nwetown school shooting and we have threads on the Mossad did it...!!! I mean be real! Lets look at the facts and what is HERE before our eyes. And not jump to conclusions so far fetched they come out from a mad Hollywood screenwriteers brains after he sniffed a bit too much Coke.
A 2nds earth rotating parallel in the shade of our own or a planet X always hidden from our eyes is possible, IF we remain only on earth. But with satellites, ISS, outer space probes and so. The vantage point changes and then it is impossible to hide it.
And on the NASA statements. Its not just NASA that says so. We don't hear any warnings from the Russians and Chinese and other smaller space agencies. Just yesterday or the day before they sent a new crew up to the ISS. Would they do so if the end of the world is near. And foremost would highty educated astronauts willingly go on such a trip IF they knew?
Given we still don't have much clue as to what magentism is. And as many claim that magnetism may affect how we as humans think and act. So yes the Mayan calendar comes to an end and a new age begins. Will the aillignment and change of minute magentic influence change our thinking and hopefully into a level of more compassion love and longing for peace? I hope so. So they Mayens might be right in this scenario. This Age of Madness will end and a new human will emerge. But it will not happen with the snap of a finger or a 24 hour event.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Ok so now you want to believe NASA, yet everyone says the moon landing was a hoax. What a funny crowd here at ATS. If something happens tomorrow we can't do a dam thing, I am going to have a few Crown's on the rocks, watch Christmas Vacation for the 25th time and snuggle up to my wife of 30 years, and let the chips fall where they may.

I wish you all a good night and God willing be looking forward to the next doomsday date.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

we found recently that asteroids can sneak up on us ..

That would depend on your definition of "killer asteroid".
An asteroid large enough to cause a global catastrophe isn't likely to sneak up on us. It's the little guys that are hard to see that we find only a couple of days ahead of time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join