It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYSE to be sold to Intercontinental Exchange

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

NYSE to be sold to Intercontinental Exchange

money.cnn.com

NYSE Euronext, the operator of the venerable New York Stock Exchange, has agreed to be bought for $8.2 billion by an upstart that runs other international trading exchanges.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Does this have anyone concerned? I'm not sure what this means, but uh... seeing as this is being reported today, dec 20th, does this mean the end of the US stock exchange? What kind of economic implications does this have? Are we looking at a major collapse? Is this a sign?

I know we have the fiscal cliff incoming pretty fast, but this seems to be an even bigger issue. How can they just randomly sell the 220 year old new york stock exchange? lol

money.cnn.com

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
You realize right that the Euronext (The current merged owners) company is based in well...um Europe (Most major European countries France, Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal and the United Kingdom...), and has owned the NYSE since like 2007

en.wikipedia.org...

Meanwhile Intercontinental Exchange is based in Atalanta, Georgia with major offices in the UNITED STATES...

www.theice.com...

Unless of course the conspiracy involves the Atlanta Guidestones I am not worried.
edit on 20-12-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

And look how well their doing.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It could be "the end of the world as we know it" as far as investments are concerned!

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

Hey,

While NYSE merged with Euronext in a deal announced in 2006, that was cast as a merger of equals, Thursday's deal represents a loss of independence for the 220-year old NYSE and a big coup for an upstart like ICE. The new combined company will have dual headquarters in New York and Atlanta. With the continued growth of electronic trading, New York City's Wall Street continues to lose its dominance as the world's financial capital.

other source

ICE

First I thought NYSE got shipped out to a new land.
They used the word coup.

edit on 21-12-2012 by burdman30ott6 because: I fixed your ICE link.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
You realize right that the Euronext (The current merged owners) company is based in well...um Europe (Most major European countries France, Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal and the United Kingdom...), and has owned the NYSE since like 2007 ... Meanwhile Intercontinental Exchange is based in Atalanta, Georgia with major offices in the UNITED STATES...

Whaaaaa....?

Man, that just makes my head hurt.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
reply to post by abeverage

And look how well their doing.

But your statement is that the NYSE is being sold tied to the fiscal cliff and the END of the NYSE is rather moot, because it has been sold before only 5 years ago and more importantly to a foreign company.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by incoserv

Originally posted by abeverage
You realize right that the Euronext (The current merged owners) company is based in well...um Europe (Most major European countries France, Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal and the United Kingdom...), and has owned the NYSE since like 2007 ... Meanwhile Intercontinental Exchange is based in Atalanta, Georgia with major offices in the UNITED STATES...

Whaaaaa....?

Man, that just makes my head hurt.

Which part? That the NYSE has been sold or that it was sold 5 years ago to a European company? Or that it is going to be sold again?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
haha the new york stockbrokers are gonna get replaced by right to work scabs.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx

Does this have anyone concerned? I'm not sure what this means, but uh... seeing as this is being reported today, dec 20th, does this mean the end of the US stock exchange? What kind of economic implications does this have? Are we looking at a major collapse? Is this a sign?

I know we have the fiscal cliff incoming pretty fast, but this seems to be an even bigger issue. How can they just randomly sell the 220 year old new york stock exchange? lol

money.cnn.com

Haudi xxshadowfaxx

I know right! Completely random...

And Yes this has me super concerned... my hubby and I were just talking about it. the timing of this report released, all nice and quiet like.. I mean I have never really looked into the stock exchange as a body itself but my assumption was that the NYSE or other stock exchanges act as a governing body to the sale of stock - a place to come and buy and sell where it can regulated... I cant understand what there is to sell...as in the exchange itself... I think its a really scary thing. potentially handing over what financial independence the US has to Europe...

I just dont understand what they are selling though... I always assumed the stock exchanges were managed by the government of the whatever country they are in but like i said I never looked into it, but my conditioned perception was always that.

It blows my noggin that this isnt huger news...

themuse

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
haha the new york stockbrokers are gonna get replaced by right to work scabs.

Could you elaborate.

I don't know what any of this means but it's interesting. I want to know more.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Haudi peeps

I am super curious about this deal. Please can someone explain to me how this is possible or rather how the exchange system works globally? I have always been under the impression as I stated earlier that the stock exchanges were a regulatory place where the selling and buying happens... I did not know it could be sold? Or privatised.. ?? Or was it privatised to begin with?

I believe the implications here are enormous and I want to make sure I understand it correctly.

Cheers and thanks for your help here.

Have an awesome day

themuse

top topics

join