It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Videogames under fire, Hollywood lays low after school shooting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

20-year-old gunman played popular videogame "Call of Duty" - in which players conduct simulated warfare missions - in the basement of his home.

Link

So again the gaming industry is going to take part of the rap for what the mentally ill morons of our society do.

Why is it that no on in this country is ever responsible for what they do, but the majority of our society will blame everything and everyone but the person responsible?

Perhaps the satirical post about limiting our First Amendment right is on to something. Maybe we should just do away with any freedoms we have in this country. Just remember if you decide that you want to kill loads of people, you can do it and you really won't be blamed for it, they will blame movies, video games, the guns themselves for the murders, but you will not at any moment be blamed.

I figured I would share some of my stats in Battlefield 3:

So according to that I have mindlessly slaughtered 9,142 people and assisted in the murder of 1,055 more. Maybe all of us that play games or watch movies with any action in them, should be rounded up and placed into facilities that monitor us.

edit on 20-12-2012 by Doom and Gloom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I saw on the news that they delayed the opening of the new Quinton Tarantino movie and cut the opening scene of the new Tom Cruise movie and thought that was the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

I guess the fact that if these types of games are in kids hands, it is more than likely due to the PARENTS buying a game that is rated for teens or adults! Isn't that what the stupid rating system is for?
edit on 20-12-2012 by chiefsmom because: afterthought

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

It is the intended purpose for the rating system. I think it is just the underlying problem. There is not parental involvement in the lives of children anymore. At a young age that are blasted with technology and the parents are not properly monitoring what their children are doing on those gadgets or the internet.

So the parents are lazy, will just buy anything for their children just to get them out of their hair. When they should be investing the time with their children and get involved with everything they do.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Doom and Gloom

Exactly! Too many parents expecting/allowing technology to become the child's babysitter. Hell, I allowed my kids to play video games. I also kicked them outside to play, played games with them, coached a soccer team and basically just made sure I was involved with them, rather they wanted me to or not. And I was a working parent.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

BRAVO!! If all parents were like you we would not have the breakdown of society that we are experiencing today. The media is blaming everyone but themselves. They and Hollywood are a huge part of the problem. These fruitcakes that commit mass murder want recognition and the media gives it to them. Don't even mention their name or give a picture of them as that is the major reason they commit these crimes.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Doom and Gloom

So.... Lemme see here. One (more) thread about how the video game industry is not to blame (a sentiment which I happen to agree with btw)... But... Mostly just an excuse for you to post your stats so ppl can see your mad skillz.

Considering the context...

Not cool.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
So if they ban violent video games, are they going to blame Tetris then, the next time someone gets hurt on the head with a cinder block?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Thank you, but I don't see it that way, as far as the media and Hollywood. I blame parents. I wasn't perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but I made an effort. That's it. Too many do not. How hard is it to shut off a television? They only have control if you let them. Trust me. I was an evil mom that thought a cell phone was a privilege, not a right, which meant they did NOT have one, more than they did. And they sure did not have one until high school when they first got it. It's up to the parents, nobody else. (well, it even helps if the grandparents and other family can/will be involved as well.)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
These games feed the delusion of some people in society who are mentally unable to separate reality from Fantasy. So if only one in a hundred goes ballistic, they can ruin the lives of many others.

Our ignorance has created many demons..

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Oh that's ridiculous

Psychos don't have any issues what so ever with their imaginations...

Play GTA go kill Bunnies in Daddy Luddites barn a nut is nut is nut.

The difference between psychos today and the psychos of yester year is that today they get caught... couldn't exactly find those Graves back in the day no ability to track children... Realistically murder for sport was a lot easier to get away with/go unreported in the past.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

If you think a .91 K/D ratio is mad skillz, perhaps you need to play and play against people that are actually semi good. I don't even rate. More of the reason I posted was because I find the whole topic senseless. I have played all manner of violent video games for over 20 years, I own weapons. I have never killed nor had the urge to kill anyone.

I am involved with my children. I work a full time job, I was the assistant coach for my son's PopWarner football team, I take my daughter to a neighbor's barn so that she get the opportunity to work with and ride the horses they have. Point is I take my responsibility as a parent seriously, and I dedicate my life to helping them grow into responsible citizens. I do not allow them to do what ever they wish.

More or less to point out that the real issue is with the lack of parenting in these modern day times. You feel free to interpret how ever you so choose.
edit on 20-12-2012 by Doom and Gloom because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Junkheap

They will find something to blame it on because it can't possibly be the responsibility of the individual or their parents.

They won't stop until we have everything controlled by the government. Then when the killings don't stop, they will implant chips or some other # into our brains to make us docile.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by penninja

You are right, these kind have always been around. Giving them a chance to build confidence and experience in their delusions is bad though.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by penninja

Oh that's ridiculous

The difference between psychos today and the psychos of yester year is that today they get caught... couldn't exactly find those Graves back in the day no ability to track children... Realistically murder for sport was a lot easier to get away with/go unreported in the past.

No the difference is there is no intent to get away with it. They don't want to get away with it. They want to be known for the atrocity. They want the infamy. Mass murder as a means to be a celebrity.

There is no single problem at issue here. Its a mixture of social ills.

a) Increasingly vacuous society that promotes celebrity and fame as an end in itself. (Not as a side effect of being good at something).
b) Poor access to mental health care
c) Increasingly militarised society
d) Ease of access of the mentally unstable civilians to modern infantry weapons.
e) Bloodthirsty and dumbed down media milking every sad event for every last drop of 'drama'.

Picking on one thing without tackling the others is pointless.

edit on 20-12-2012 by justwokeup because: typo

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

Originally posted by penninja

Oh that's ridiculous

No the difference is there is no intent to get away with it. They don't want to get away with it. They want to be known for the atrocity. They want the infamy. Mass murder as a means to be a celebrity.

There is no single problem at issue here. Its a mixture of social ills.

a) Increasingly vacuous society that promotes celebrity and fame as an end in itself. (Not as a side effect of being good at something).
b) Poor access to mental health care
c) Increasingly militarised society
d) Ease of access of the mentally unstable civilians to modern infantry weapons.
e) Bloodthirsty and dumbed down media milking every sad event for every last drop of 'drama'.

Picking on one thing without tackling the others is pointless.

edit on 20-12-2012 by justwokeup because: typo

You got that right, it is a combination of many things. Blaming it on one thing won't correct the problem. Fixing one problem does slow the progression though.

top topics

join